pixeltracker

Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?- Page 2

Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?

That Groovy Guy Profile Photo
That Groovy Guy
#25re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 1:23pm

Was the Israeli cast ever released on CD? I have the cassette and have seen the LP on eBay but don't think there is a CD.

"Oh some like it hot, but I like it *really* hot." - Heat Miser

simon_wilkie
#26re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 1:43pm

Just bought the CSR a couple of weeks ago- it's okay. It is the entire show which is very nice. I hate cast recordings that cut things out

Personally I'd get the 10th An. cast. Colm Wilkinson, Alun Armstrong and Jenny Galloway alone are worth the price of the CD.

If I was getting any Les Mis CD (don't know if you own one already?) I'd invest in the OLC, my personal favourite cast.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#27re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 5:55pm

I like the CSR (even Eponine), but as I've said on other boards, the adult Cosette makes my ears bleed. Even musical-tolerant friends have reached over and turned off that CD in my car when she begins to bleat and screech...

SporkGoddess
#28re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 7:36pm

Tracy Shayne is pretty much considered a bad Cosette.

That's how CSRs are recorded? No wonder the Miss Saigon one has no chemistry between Chris and Kim...

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

ulkis
#29re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 8:38pm

But I loved her scrappy wretched Eponine on the OLCR, so please don't anyone just dismiss her out of hand. ^_^

Probably because they made her do an American accent on the OBCR.

I can't decide which I think is the best, but I can definitely go with OBCR as the worst. I can't stand the Marius and Fantine on it.

sparrman
#30re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 10:41pm

I think the CSR should be avoided at all costs because of Gary Morris. His "interpretation" of Valjean amounts to a painful Colm Wilkinson IMPRESSION. Colm has some pretty weird pronunciations of words to my American ears, but okay, he's Irish. So why does Gary Morris share the brogue? Because he's totally clueless as a musical theatre performer, that's why. He just listened to Colm do the role so much he ended up doing a complete impersonation. Didn't know any better, and had absolutely nothing of his own to offer.

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#31re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 10:56pm

Gary Morris sounds like a country Western singer gone bad as Valjean.

As for a Les Mis recording... you can't go wrong with any recording because the first recording you listen to, the one that introduces you to the show will always be your favorite. I know the OLC isn't the best recording out there, and I have the 3 main English recordings and the TAC on VHS, yet it's my personal favorite because I learned to love the show by listening to the OLC.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#32re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 11:36pm

The Israeli recording was only ever released on LP and cassette.

As for a Les Mis recording... you can't go wrong with any recording because the first recording you listen to, the one that introduces you to the show will always be your favorite.

HA! No. My first recording was the OBC and I hate it.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 8/13/07 at 11:36 PM

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#33re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 7:06pm

"No wonder the Miss Saigon one has no chemistry between Chris and Kim..."

Well, that and the big ole' purse that falls out of Chris' mouth: "It's about Kim, isn't it." Makes me giggle EVERY time.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#34re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 7:16pm

The funny thing is, they DID record Joanna Ampil and Peter Cousens together.

...the problem was that they hadn't even started rehearsals yet.

D'oh.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Marianne Profile Photo
Marianne
#35re: Les Mis: Which recording do you prefer?
Posted: 8/14/07 at 10:44pm

If we're going to drag international recordings into the mix, my recommendations in approximate order are the Paris revival, the TAC, the French concept album, the OLC, the Antwerp highlights, maybe the Duisburg highlights. And I'm not as familiar with the 2003 Japanese casts, but what I've listened to has been quite good.

Videos