pixeltracker

Truly Original Broadway Shows- Page 2

Truly Original Broadway Shows

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#25re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:43pm

"Infinite, Thank you. What you said has opened my eyes so much more. "

You're welcome, RyToast1. Bravo to you for being so open- minded to another viewpoint.

"Here are the only completely original musicals to win the Tony:
THE MUSIC MAN
REDHEAD
FIORELLO
BYE BYE BIRDIE
HOW TO SUCCEED... - Based on a How-To Book, but its actually all original
HALLELUJAH, BABY!
A CHORUS LINE
CITY OF ANGELS
THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES
TITANIC"

Fiorello, 1776, A Chorus Line, Will Rogers Follies and Titanic were all based on real life events. And I feel as though Bye Bye Birdie is based on a super obscure play...

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:46pm

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 03:46 PM

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#27re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:47pm

I think Company counts as original. Key word there is "unproduced". Sondheim took the plays of his friend to Hal Prince to see what he thought. He said to make them a musical. Its original, its just that the first draft was a bunch of plays.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#28re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:48pm

Todd, I had it as original, um, originally, but changed it. It's certainly up to argument.

But the point is, truly original musicals have ALWAYS been the exception, not the norm.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

neddyfrank2
#29re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:21pm

Isn't Caroline or Change also based on "memories"?

Walcer Profile Photo
Walcer
#30re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 12:15pm

"I was just pointing out what seems to be a lack of creativity on Broadway these days."

It's not so much a dirth of creativity or talent that is the problem, it's a dirth of producers willing to invest in the unknown. 99% of producers will only touch something they know is a sure bet or something already pre-produced with a good track record. There's still alot of original work being written but it's still underground and found in Fringe Festivals and other self produced festivals. It's too much of a gamble to mount a broadway show no matter what the size with the amount of money it costs to produce unless it's a sure bet... which makes it all truly sad for those of us who desire something original.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#31re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 12:27pm

CAROLINE OR CHANGE is loosely based on Tony Kushner's childhood.
I don't think just because something is based on real events it doesn't qualify it as "original."
A CHORUS LINE is definitely an original piece regardless of the fact it is based on the tapes.
WILL ROGERS FOLLIES, TITANIC and 1776 are original as well.
I think sometimes we get the most creative musicals when they are adapted from something else, for example, GREY GARDENS.
Smaxie, you're right, I forgot CURTAINS (don't know how, it's one of my favorites playing right now).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#32re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 12:58pm

Personally, and I know this is a little OT, but A Catered Affair would've been a better play.

But that doesn't make it any less original. In fact, there are a lot of changes made to the musical from the movie.

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

WonderRobbie Profile Photo
WonderRobbie
#33re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 3:15pm

Someone said that Shakespeare wasn't even original... which is true... Many plays/musicals are based on a story from the Greeks and who was more original then them?
Pygmalion is an ancient myth and it spawned so many stories... Pygmalion the play and My Fair Lady, etc.

And as much as I love Disney... they've taken various fairy tales and "sugar coated" them as much as possible ripping the original story to shreds.

Can you imagine Ariel dying at the end of the show?

Oh yes, I'm glad someone else agrees that The Lion King is based on Hamlet and apparently some Japanese cartoon... I think I read that forever ago.

This is a cool thread by the way. Thanks Ry for starting it!

WR: "Jeff, are you going get this game when it comes out?" JB: "I wouldn't be able to write another musical..." ~NY ComicCon 2/8/09

[believe]
Updated On: 1/21/08 at 03:15 PM

COOOOLkid
#34re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 4:36pm

Also, I remember reading that Titanic was based off on a book called "A Night to Remember." I might be wrong.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

neddyfrank2
#35re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 4:42pm

CAROLINE OR CHANGE is loosely based on Tony Kushner's childhood.
I don't think just because something is based on real events it doesn't qualify it as "original."

Isn't The Sound of Music loosely based off of somebody's memories?

I mean, they didn't actually climb any mountain.

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#36re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 5:10pm

neddyfrank, I think the The Sound of Music is loosely based on Maria von Trapp’s published memoirs (not just her “memories”).

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 1/21/08 at 5:13pm

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 05:13 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#38re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 5:23pm

THE SOUND OF MUSIC was indeed (AND VERY LOOSELY) based on Maria Von Trapp's memoir. In my eyes, and this might be a matter of opinion, there is a difference between adapting a show from a memoir and just using real life events as a model for a show.
CAROLINE, OR CHANGE is more inspired by Kushner's childhood than adapted from it though. I do find it quite neat that Kushner was able to bring in his family's former maid (the woman who inspired the title role) to see the show. How wonderful is that?
There's also shows that while based on another medium, are so far off from the actual text, GYPSY and NINE come to mind.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#39re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 5:40pm

Will Rogers Follies is Original per say but it is based on the life of Will Rogers. A real person.-- The plot line is based on stories and memories of Will Rogers himself.

Titanic is based on the actual stories of those who survived and died on the ship.

and if you say 1776 is original.. then maybe you don't live in the USA.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#40re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 6:15pm

So the definition of "original" then is now something that was not ever published or something that ever happened in real life?

That is very limiting. Most writers understand that if they don't publish their work then they risk losing copyright privileges. This is a business. I think something that has never been put on a Stage or Screen before is original to me.

Books don't usually include scores. They may play at them, like Shakesphere did at times but he hardly deserves credit for musical scores.

I agree we are seeing more original work on Broadway and that is good thing for us older folks. It's good that Theatre reflects some of real life but give me a Musical that lifts your spirits and leaves you with a feeling of euphoria any day! That's just me though. I can tolerate some revivals. The pity of getting old is that you are bound to be bombarded with revivals you really feel you can live without. I just wish they could bring down the expenses more because it is preventing some really good stuff from making it's way on stage. Too bad but it is so much better than it was when there was barely anything worth going out to see.

So I hope the trend continues as it is. Though one, maybe two Disney Shows is plenty for me. I would still like them to make room for those who are madly creative and open to new experiences and presentations. I myself am looking forward to a little more song and dance that leaves me more merry and less dreary!

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#41re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:33pm

If we are being literal then yes, Original is Original... A completely original story.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

joniray
#42re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/21/08 at 9:42pm

I'd like to see a truly original thread that expresses a thought never expressed before about a subject that has never been talked about and has never actually happened in the history of the universe.

neddyfrank2
#43re: Truly Original Broadway Shows
Posted: 1/22/08 at 12:14am

I don't know. I think Caroline Or Change is just as original as The Sound of Music.

Videos