pixeltracker

Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed- Page 2

Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#25re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 3:40pm

I'm very very happy for MENKEN and ENCHANTED.

I love Menken music

#26re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 3:44pm

Just blood pressure medication, happily. Enchanted was a mess. I was dumbfounded by the favorable reviews for a film that was a total mess. I've never seen a better premise(and decades of Disney imagery to draw upon) so utterly wasted.

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#27re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 3:54pm

I loved ENCHANTED. Classic Disney stories with great music and incredible performance (Amy Adams)....
Much better than Shrek 3..........

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#28re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 4:07pm

Not really surprised that "Sweeney Todd" didn't get a Best Picture nomination. I thought for sure that "Hairspray" would have been nominated for at least costumes, art direction, musical scoring or cinematography.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#29re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 4:50pm

Ugh, I couldn't stand HAIRSPRAY, not only did I find it messy but the Disney-fied race issues made me roll my eyes a dozen times.
ENCHANTED was pure fun, it entertained me like no other film did this past year (though JUNO and SWEENEY came close). Amy Adams should have been nominated over Cate Blanchett in that mess of a movie they called ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE. Actually Adams, Helena Bonham Carter, Angelina Jolie, and Keira Knightley all should have been nominated before Blanchett.
I hope Amy Adams performs at the ceremony though. I love her voice.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#30re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 5:09pm

I'm suprised that Sweeney didn't get nominated for Visual Effects? Why are there only three titles in this category? Are there only three spots? I mean... there were bits of the movie that looked terribly CGI'd... but it worked for the "old fashioned silent movie" view that Burton took for the film... Could it be the blood? That it was too much for the academy?

and how did they not get sound mixing? The score sounded absolutely beautiful!

I actually liked Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth... but... come on... how many Elizabeth movies can we have in a three year span? Helena was so... darkly macabre and subtle... Blanchett screamed her face off for most of that movie... so I think that some people just... didn't notice Carter as much as Blanchett.

I wish that they would open all of the nominated films that have closed at the theatres again so that we could see them again and get the best informed opinion possible...

that's a really big mic...

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#31re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 5:13pm

"Well do to the new rules"

Check your homonyms, dolt.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

BroadwayPer4mer03
#32re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 6:17pm

Once again, the Academy nominates Depp with once again, very little chance of winning. So many snubs. Although, Sweeney was not one of them. It got what it deserved to be honest. However, it is a shame that Helena Bohnam Carter failed to receive a nod. Her work in Sweeney was both subtle, gutsy, and brilliant. She is easily one of the most underrated actresses in Hollywood. Even a bigger snub is no acting/directing nods for Atonement as well as Into the Wild (not suprised that it was shut out though), and Angelina Jolie being shut out for a wonderful performance in A Mighty Heart.

BroadwayPer4mer03
#33re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 6:17pm

oh and i agree allthatjazz, amy adams, angelina jolie, and several others all could and SHOULD have been nominated over Cate Blanchett. Also, while I love Laura Linney, I felt like there was more "fresh" unrecognized talent that should have been rewarded with a nod.
Updated On: 1/22/08 at 06:17 PM

lovinlovett Profile Photo
lovinlovett
#34re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 8:54pm

How anyone can say that a movie getting 3 oscar nominations is "snubbing" is beyond me. Honestly, some of you can put a negative spin on just about anything.

I'm very proud of the film and especially of Johnny Depp. They did amazingly well in a year with tons of tough competition.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#35re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 9:27pm

I can't understand why your thread titles are so relentlessly negative about this film when your review was largely positive.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#36re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 9:54pm

What a dull, predictable year for Oscar noms...

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#37re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 9:55pm

Sweeney was definitely snubbed in the Makeup category. Make room for obviously-much-more-deserving and now Oscar-nominated (and Razzie-nominated) Norbit.

~Steven

Brick
#38re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/22/08 at 11:10pm

I'm so tired of people talking about snubs.

(And the increasing predictability of awards is making them increasingly less exciting.)

SWEENEY wasn't expected to be nommed. Can we take a moment and be thankful that it was so successfully adapted to film that Depp received a Golden Globe and an Oscar nod?

Congrats!

masterthes
#39re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/23/08 at 7:16am

Chances are though, Daniel Day Lewis is going to win anyway, but good for Depp getting nominated all the same

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#40re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/23/08 at 7:24am

"I was dumbfounded by the favorable reviews for a film that was a total mess."

Those were my feelings exactly about HAIRSPRAY.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#41re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/23/08 at 8:10am

I am very happy for Johnny, but I'm disappointed for the movie as a whole. It really is incredible.

Poor HAIRSPRAY... but yeah... I really wasn't expecting it to get any Oscar noms.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#42re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:29am

I'm very happy for Bardem and Alberto Iglesias (SPAIN¡¡¡¡¡) and for Menken and his Enchanted song, great composer.
But I would like Amy Adams nomination.........

Mood_Indigo
#43re: Depp Nominated for Best Actor, Sweeney Snubbed
Posted: 1/23/08 at 11:05am

Personally I thought Sweeney deserved the nomination a lot more than Juno. Which I think is very overrated.

Videos