pixeltracker

Guys & Dolls= Nederlander- Page 2

Guys & Dolls= Nederlander

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#25re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 9:32pm

I have my doubts that that theatre can be properly restored in time for the show. A proper theatre restoration takes at least a year.

I agree.

jagfkb
#26re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 9:57pm

Perhaps the theatre won't be incredibly restored? What if the grugy look and feel of the Nederlander will be a part of the director's vision, to bring a new edge to the piece. In my opinion, it may very well be the perfect place.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#27re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/26/08 at 3:19am

The Ritz Theatre (now the Walter Kerr) was originally built in 66 days. And an existing theatre can't be restored in six months time? The Shubert Organization managed to do that very thing in just about the same time frame with the Longacre last year.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Byron Abens
#28re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/26/08 at 3:26am

I still love the lines from Forbidden Broadway Strikes Back.

"They're all down on 41st Street where they're now squatting in the rarely used Nederlander Theatre."

"Nederlander Theatre? How are we going to get in there?"

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#29re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/26/08 at 9:05am

"With Gypsy not doing that well, it may very well be that asking people to plunk down hard earned money for a show they may have already seen ( with a different cast) is something that people are shying away from. They may think for the money they are asking I want to see a new show & not a revival.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?"

I only partly disagree with this. I don't think people are shying away from revivals in general. Look at South Pacific. But using your example of Gypsy as a springboard I'd have to wonder if maybe people are shying away from shows that are being over-revived. The last Gypsy run closed a little less than four years before the current one opened. When they first announced this revival I thought it was too soon for another one. It's been 13 years since the last Broadway revival of Guys and Dolls closed.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#30re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/26/08 at 9:18am

I agree with Eris, that part of the problem with Gypsy is that it was revived close to four years ago.

They don't need a full out year to restore a theatre. You act as if there is a rule of how long it should take. If you walk into The Longacre now, you would see that a great restoration process does not need to take a year to do.

And, I am not suire that this production is going to get the likes of Debra Messing and Anne Hathaway to join the cast. If I remember correctly, they were in talks to join the cast when the producers of the Donmar Warehouse production were thinking of taking their production to Broadway. It was an idea that never came to be and the Hollywood actors couldn't do Broadway because they had to get as much work under their belts as they could before the strike happened.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

LadyDramaturg2
#31re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/27/08 at 3:28pm

WOSQ said it all: they'd better rewire the place -- it's got a deafening 60-cycle hum problem.

And isn't Anne Hathaway attached to another property?

Videos