Guys & Dolls= Nederlander

coolkid11776
#1Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 3:29pm

I found out last night was the House Manager of the Nederlander Theater that Guy & Dolls will play there After Rent closes.

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#2re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 3:31pm

YAY!

WOSQ
#2re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 3:56pm

They'd better rewire the place.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#3re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 4:34pm

"I found out last night was the House Manager of the Nederlander Theater that Guy & Dolls will play there After Rent closes."

Are you attempting to say that the House Manager of the Nederlander told you that Guys & Dolls will be playing there after Rent closes?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#4re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 5:02pm

Well that sucks.

A lavish, huge, classic musical in a dump of a theatre that is too small- on a street that is too far away from anything to really be noticed.

It should be interesting to see how Des McAnuff finagles his way around that smallish theatre. And I swear, if he goes with the same two-story set he used in FARNSWORTH and JERSEY BOYS, I am going to be very very upset.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#5re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 8:14pm

41st Street is not the same 41st Street it was when Rent opened. That theatre is now surrounded by the new New York Times building, the 42nd Street Hilton Hotel, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday's and a New York Sports Club, a major subway hub, boutique hotel right next door, and the New Amsterdam dumping half its audience onto that street.

The Nederlander has about 1,200 seats. The Martin Beck had about 1,200 seats when Guys & Dolls played there. (The mezzanine at the Martin Beck was extended and 200 seats were added around 1996 in anticipation of the big hit new musical, Whistle Down the Wind.)

I can tell you that pre-Rent, the Nederlander, while never a glamour pit, was a comfortable house, with good sightlines and a really good sized stage. It also doesn't have an undesirable second balcony, which is such a liability for some of the other musical houses.

With the rumor of a full scale restoration to its 1920s splendor, I see no reason why the Nederlander could not be in demand as a musical house or play house. I have to think that's exactly what is going to happen to it, if the producers of Guys & Dolls have indeed booked that house. And before you say it can't be made attractive, I would say I never thought the Longacre could ever look like it does now.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 8/28/08 at 08:14 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#6re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 8:28pm

41st Street has changed drastically over the years. When Rent opened the small but very nice hotel next to the theatre was nothing more then a sketchy dump. The area has changed and there are things there that weren't there before. I wouldn't say that The Nederlander is someplace that is very much out of eyesight like the Lyceum or Belasco are. As Samxie said, with The New Amsterdam having exits for its patrons on 41st, the Nederlander will get some notice.

People flocked to The Nederlander when the street was a dump. I wonder how well Guys And Dolls will do in a clean theatre on a street that is also cleaned up compared to how it was 12 years ago.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Yankeefan007
#7re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 8:32pm

Compare and contrast:

Smaxie:

"41st Street is not the same 41st Street it was when Rent opened. That theatre is now surrounded by the new New York Times building, the 42nd Street Hilton Hotel, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday's and a New York Sports Club, a major subway hub, boutique hotel right next door, and the New Amsterdam dumping half its audience onto that street."

Winston:

"41st Street has changed drastically over the years. When Rent opened the small but very nice hotel next to the theatre was nothing more then a sketchy dump. The area has changed and there are things there that weren't there before. I wouldn't say that The Nederlander is someplace that is very much out of eyesight like the Lyceum or Belasco are. As Samxie said, with The New Amsterdam having exits for its patrons on 41st, the Nederlander will get some notice."

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#8re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 9:14pm

I still really don't follow the geographical argument against the Belasco and Lyceum. Both are easily visible from Broadway and are near major attractions (Toys R Us and the Virgin Megastore). Granted the Lyceum marquee doesn't have much, if any, lighting, if I remember correctly. It's the Cort Theatre that is off in the boondocks. The only attraction on 48th for me is the Chipotle across the street from the Cort.

41st Street is now a well traversed street with the New York Times building and the other new attractions that have been previously mentioned. I'm sure the show, especially with the rumored casting of Anne Hathaway and Debra Messing, will do quite well in the Nederlander... unless the production itself is horrid.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 9:26pm

I think frogs is right.
Walking to the Belasco or the Lyceum from Times Square is rather easy.
If a good show is there the people will walk the half a block.
GUYS & DOLLS at the Nederlander, I hear, is a done deal, but who knows?
The main job is to Wash Down the front of the Theatre and go from there.

Yankeefan007
#10re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 9:41pm

They need to whitewash the entire facade that's now filled with "Thank You Jonathan Larson" graffiti from people who have no idea who he is beyond "the creator of RENT."
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 09:41 PM

lstbutifulgrl2
#11re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 9:42pm

Although I have heard rumors to the same, the OP is less than reliable with their information. As they swear that Anthony Rapp is coming back to close the show, when he is obviously doing his own show in Pittsburgh. Only time will tell... and I would also like to know which House Manager said that. (yes there have been more than one there recently.)

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#12re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 10:02pm

Guys and Dolls is a name brand musical. I don't think having a theater slightly out of the way will bring them any harm. As long as they have a sign in Times Square, the tourists will be very aware of its presence and will easily find the theater.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#13re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/21/08 at 10:15pm

Does the Nederander have any fly space? I couldn't tell with all of the lights.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#14re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 7:25pm

They need to whitewash the entire facade that's now filled with "Thank You Jonathan Larson" graffiti from people who have no idea who he is beyond "the creator of RENT."

Who is he beyond the creator of RENT (and a couple other musicals that didn't do nearly as well)?

I'm not implying that his life shouldn't be valued as a human being and not simply the writer of one show, but you make it sound as if he had a huge, prolific, meaningful career outside this one show, and that is not the case. The only reason ANYONE knows who he is is because he wrote RENT, like it or not.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#15re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 8:11pm

so excited for the news thank you.
yes they will be renovating the whole house it after rent goes sept 7th.
they will be changing everything from bathrooms, to seating, stage, all the techinal/lighting, the writing on the wall will be gone,backstage.

still awaiting for the cast announcement

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 8:37pm

With Gypsy not doing that well, it may very well be that asking people to plunk down hard earned money for a show they may have already seen ( with a different cast) is something that people are shying away from. They may think for the money they are asking I want to see a new show & not a revival.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Poster Emeritus

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 8/25/08 at 8:39pm

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 08:39 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 8:41pm

I blame GWB.

Poster Emeritus

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#19re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 8:48pm

Does the Nederander have any fly space? I couldn't tell with all of the lights.

It does.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 8:56pm

i wonder if this further confirms WSS going to the Palace??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#21re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 8:57pm

"I'm sure the show, especially with the rumored casting of Anne Hathaway and Debra Messing, will do quite well in the Nederlander... unless the production itself is horrid."

My thought exactley. Despite being a tad separated from the major theatres, stars at A-List level can draw anyone ANYWHERE.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Broadway Baby 2
#22re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 9:11pm

I have my doubts that that theatre can be properly restored in time for the show. A proper theatre restoration takes at least a year. I think the League of American Theatres and Producers need to demand that The Nederlander Organization properly restore and care for the theatre or they will not be allowed to rent the theatre out at all. Having a show that takes place in the slums of NY does not in any way make acceptable the doplorable condition in which The Nederlander Organization has allowed The Nederlander Theatre to become. This in my opinion is a criminal case of miss management. Espesially when considering that Broadway theatres are protected national land marks.

dl032656 Profile Photo
dl032656
#23re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 9:23pm

i do not like the place although NYT and EY are right there.
41 is not major st and it is dirty man.

Broadway Baby 2
#24re: Guys & Dolls= Nederlander
Posted: 8/25/08 at 9:26pm

I will be a million times cleaner once the mess from all the Rent Heads is cleaned up.

Videos