pixeltracker

Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?- Page 2

Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?

GIZMO2 Profile Photo
GIZMO2
#25re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/17/09 at 9:51pm

I would argue that the BEST AWARD for use of projections currently on Broadway goes to SOUTH PACIFIC. Talk about sweeping sunsets and stunning cloud effects!

The WORST I've seen of late is not in a Broadway show, per se, but slightly off it. And I know the intent was to "distract" the audience, not to grossly "annoy" us. Unfortunately, it turned out, for me at least, to be the latter. Anyone know the show? Yup, you guessed it: That steaming turd currently running at the Laura Pels starring your favorite Sex and the City actress and mine, Cynthia Nixon.

Better luck next time, Roundabout!

GIZMO2 Profile Photo
GIZMO2
#26re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/17/09 at 9:53pm

>>>The projections in All My Sons (along with that ghastly underscoring)

Amen.

The projections and "music" were, in a word, ghastly.

Ruined the show for me.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#27re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/17/09 at 9:59pm

I thought they were effective in "Golda's Balcony". Though less a set that a echo of a set.

whatever2
#28re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/17/09 at 10:25pm

philly3: TWIW was panned by critics and closed after three months. i'm glad you liked it and all (and lord knows i have a "contrarian" list of my own favs), but certainly the show deserves to be included in any discussion of over-used projections.

btw, intersting that you mentioned the moving walls ... i thought the speed at which they moved gave the show an unnaturally frenetic pace, which also detracted from the overall production. those things were flying across the stage like pinballs; in fact, my mother got a little motion sick at one point!

chacon a son gout!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

RentBoy86
#29re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/17/09 at 10:42pm

I so agree with "Distracted." The projections were so messy and they didn't mesh with the lighting. You could barely see them, so that made them pretty much pointless.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#30re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/17/09 at 10:43pm

whatever2: I do know WOman in White got panned and was pretty ravished by the critics (but it did open in the months surrounding Sweeney Todd & Jersey Boys!), but I still enjoyed it. And the Tony Comittee/voters liked it enough to nominate it for Best Score! (Which I don't think was by default)

It was slightly sickening to watch it, but it did look incredible. The waterfall, the houses, the fields...And it was pretty awesome with the doors opening and the revolve and then they were in the next room...yet I do see a huge downfall in Trevor Nunn's what I would call lazy directing (Not that I am even a fan of his).

And WiW should be included in all projection-scenery discussions considering it was truly what I would describe as the first production to rely entirely on projections. (As I said before - Jane Eyre definitely sparked the idea for these idea (both John Caird and Trevor Nunn are responsible for requesteing that's how it be done), but JE's was more of additional scenery from what I recall...!).

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#31re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/17/09 at 11:57pm

Projections have been used since the FTP. I agree that they were horrific in All My Sons (but there wasn't much that I liked about the recent revival). I don't really mind it except when they are messy (To Be Or Not To Be). I tend to think of it more as legit scenery. However, I'm not the biggest fan of something like the video car chase in Sunset Blvd.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

arch_animal90
#32re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/18/09 at 12:18am

ya when i saw Spamalot in Chicago I didnt like it that much because of all the pojections that were used. got annoying after a while

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#33re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/18/09 at 12:21am

I haven't seen Spamalot, but aren't the projections only used on the main curtain? How many times do they use projections in the show?
Updated On: 2/18/09 at 12:21 AM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#34re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/18/09 at 12:38am

No.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

RentBoy86
#35re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/18/09 at 1:16am

I don't think it's a big deal when used in conjunction with other set pieces, like most of you guys are mentioning here, but when it's a big portion of the scenery, and it's not done well, then yeah it seems cheap. Like with the current Guys and Dolls revival, all the projections just seemed fuzzy and out of focus, and didn't seem to gel with the rest of the production. Seemed likes Des was trying too hard to be "cool."

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#36re: Is anybody else tired of the projections-as-scenery trend?
Posted: 2/18/09 at 1:47am

I do agree that there are some points where it is completely unnecessary, but I must say: I just got back from Distracted and this is one play where the projections worked brilliantly. Although I do get your point that it makes certain seats have a horrendously partial view, from where I sat it was perfect. Not only did it add so much to the entire spirit/theme of the production (constant distractions and anxieties), but I just thought it was done so damn WELL. Everything from the booming television suddenly coming on to the projections of George W. Bush during Nixon's readings from the DSM-IV criteria for ADD (and suggesting that Bush clearly suffers from it), to the constantly changing scenery - it was all just so magnificent. It also helped that this is a very modern play, right down to the mentioning of the peanut butter scare and the man suing his wife for his kidney back. For productions like All My Sons and Sunday (no matter how beautifully it may have been done for the latter), I just feel it gives a classical play a sometimes unnecessary futuristic touch. Just my two cents though.

Oh, and slightly more on that tangent: I absolutely loved Distracted and suggest it so very highly. I'm not really the type of person who LOVES straight plays (much more a musical person), and although I enjoyed speed-the-plow I think it was more just my utter awe at seeing these three actors I hold in such differing amounts of high regard (Macy from film, Esparza from the stage, and even Moss from TV) than really loving the material itself (though I do love me some Mamet). But with this, while I did enjoy seeing Nixon so much, I actually think I fell in love with the material even more. Again, just my dime's worth.

EDITED TO ADD: Oooh and another time it worked WONDERS was with Billy Elliot. Very minimally, but I felt it really did add so much to the piece, especially since it wasn't pretending to be the set or a character or anything more than just a bit of film showing us the history of the piece. :) Updated On: 2/18/09 at 01:47 AM

Videos