News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritchie's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake- Page 2

Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritchie's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#25re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/1/09 at 5:25pm

*facepalm*

And to think I actually WANTED this remake because I wanted a better Sky this time around.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#26re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/1/09 at 8:22pm

Timberlake might be okay, but Ritche! Someone find a way to stop this!

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#27re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/2/09 at 11:50am

Wow so much hate for JT. I think he was hilarious on SNL and have opened my mind to think he has much more to offer. Not that I think this film will ever happen - just saying he could probably do this extremely well.

arabella Profile Photo
arabella
#28re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/3/09 at 2:51pm

I don't know about JT. His acting is just ok.

devilish23 Profile Photo
devilish23
#29re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/3/09 at 3:23pm

Is the recent revival not proof enough that this show should be left to schools and community theaters???

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#30re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/3/09 at 11:26pm

As long as Guy Ritche directs it, I have no problem with who's staring. Guy Ritche has a great talent of blending motion and music in a unique, effortless way. Checked out the soccer commercial he shot for Nike and you will know what I am talking about. He will do justice to the choreograph of G&D and make it more exciting than ever. If this truly happens, I cannot wait.
Updated On: 7/3/09 at 11:26 PM

SharpCookies
#31re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/4/09 at 1:59am

...Justin Timberlake?

REALLY?

Seriously, Guys and Dolls is one of my favourite musicals of all time. WHY. DO. THIS?!

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#32re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/4/09 at 7:59am

I like Justin Timberlake, and wouldn't mind seeing him in a musical. I think he'd be perfect as Fiyero. However, I don't see him in Guys & Dolls. He's totally wrong as either Sky or Nathan.

As long as we're discussing casting for Guys & Dolls, I'd love to see Anne Hathaway as Sarah and Christina Applegate as Adelaide.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#33re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/4/09 at 2:45pm

I have more concern about a new film being made of GUYS & DOLLS, than about any suspected casting.If a film is to be made it should be an animated film.

G&D is a product of an era. The music is tin-pan alley/traditional musical comedy style, and the show itself is one big cartoon full of mugs. To put that on screen as a live action film now would appear anachronistic to the point of being ludicrous. The score would not get any attention - and there is no point even discussing interpolating contemporary songs to give it a "lift."

The fact that some recent film musicals have succeeded is in no way an indication that modern audiences are hungry for remakes of classics like this or DAMN YANKEES or CAROUSEL. All it reveals how creatively bankrupt the idea people in Hollywood have become.

If the movies had gotten the first film of G&D right in 1955 we wwould not even be discussing a remake.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Bobby Maler Profile Photo
Bobby Maler
#34re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/4/09 at 5:26pm

I'm willing to give it a chance. We (musical theatre fans) all have an idea of Sky or Nathan that is no longer what a "gangstah" looks like. I think this show SHOULD be edgy and dangerous and that's Guy Ritchie's calling card. Let's steer away from the first movie version which I would argue was too cartoony and safe. It's about moral corruption and redemption for goodness sakes.

lesmizsaigon Profile Photo
lesmizsaigon
#35re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/5/09 at 3:59am

Oh man, are they tryin to torture us?

*Cross fingers and hope it stays a rumour*

I'm never a fan of JT's acting...he was amazingly funny in "The Love Guru" but that's about it.

Fan2
#36re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/14/09 at 7:02pm

According to Variety, this isn't true - but something else may be going on, according to the attorney for the estate of Frank Loesser:

>>?I can?t tell you what is happening, but I can tell you what is not happening, and that is this Guy Ritchie version,? Arrow said.

I took the opportunity to ask about a version of the remake that I?ve heard might happen, one that revolves around Tony-winning ?Boy From Oz? star Hugh Jackman.

My sources say that 20th Century Fox has been quietly working on a rights deal for a film that would star Jackman in the Sky Masterson role made famous by Marlon Brando. Samuel Goldwyn Jr. (whose father produced the original) would produce along with Jackman and his Seed banner.

Jackman is based at 20th Fox, where he just starred in ?X-Men Origins: Wolverine,? and where he and his company are working on a Fox 2000 adaptation of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical ?Carousel,? in which he?ll play Billy Bigelow. Jackman certainly has the musical chops and brawn to play Masterson.

Arrow paused, and then indicated this version might hit the target.

?We are not opposed to that development,? said Arrow, who noted that the estate is being cautious. ?This musical survived even the recent Broadway revival, and as bad as that was, they couldn?t kill it. If the terms are proper in the scenario you describe, that could happen.? <<<

Variety Article

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#37re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/14/09 at 7:08pm

That's wonderful. I love the idea of Hugh Jackman as Sky Masterson, get Amy Adams or Annie Hathaway as Sarah, and Toni Collette as Adelaide.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jo
#38re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/14/09 at 7:33pm

A few years back, BWW had already reported on plans for Hugh Jackman to star in the remake of GUYS AND DOLLS, which didn't happen I suppose because of the split between DISNEY and Miramax.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Hugh_Jackman_to_Star_in_Guys_Dolls_Movie_Remake_20060529

I am glad to hear about the revived plans for Hugh to take on the Sky Masterson role and co-produce the movie with a son of the original producer. I wonder if they have also secured the rights from the seemingly defunct MGM, which produced the original movie?

I saw Hugh do an outstanding number in the arena spectacular version of The Boy from Oz and the Legs Diamond number was so reminiscent of Brando - great choreography by Kenny Ortega inspired by the dance moves of Bob Fosse!

Fan2
#39re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake
Posted: 7/14/09 at 7:36pm

re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake

I think this is the photo Jo is referring to.

jo

Videos