News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018- Page 27

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018

JennH
#650FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 9:29am

Itonlytakesajourney said: "GeorgeandDot said: "I'm still confused by the casting of Patti.  Isn't she like really too old for the part?

Patti is older-much older-than what I'd imagine Anna to be like, but with some makeup and a wig she'll look at least similar to Anna. Is this the cast they're going with on Broadway? If it isn't, then I wouldn't mind her being replaced by someone a bit younger. 

"

It's been stated more than once that yes this is the Broadway cast. Unless things go awry again and they feel the need to recast, then this is the finalized original cast. Stage is however much more forgiving in terms of how age plays off, so I'm not worried about that. Cassie is older too, but as I've always said, if it came to choose between younger looking and not as skilled v. slightly older looking but skilled, I'll go with the latter. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#651FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 10:51am

Interesting article! It notes anyone who worked for the show from the fall of 2016 through the Broadway opening will share 0.5 percent of the profits, so it seems Betsy will be getting something out of originating Elsa in the developmental process. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/theater/replicate-or-reinvent-disneys-frozen-moves-to-the-stage.html?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.ph%2F

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#652FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 11:14am

That article has a ton of information about the production.  Almost spoilery. 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#653FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 11:24am

JennH said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "GeorgeandDot said: "I'm still confused by the casting of Patti.  Isn't she like really too old for the part?

Patti is older-much older-than what I'd imagine Anna to be like, but with some makeup and a wig she'll look at least similar to Anna. Is this the cast they're going with on Broadway? If it isn't, then I wouldn't mind her being replaced by someone a bit younger. 

"

It's been stated more than once that yes this is the Broadway cast. Unless things go awry again and they feel the need to recast, then this is the finalized original cast. Stage is however much more forgiving in terms of how age plays off, so I'm not worried about that. Cassie is older too, but as I've always said, if it came to choose between younger looking and not as skilled v. slightly older looking but skilled, I'll go with the latter. 

Thanks for the info, I get it now. I don't have a problem with Patti, it's just that I'd personally go for someone a bit younger is all. But I'm thrilled about Cassie and I'm sure Patti will do fine. 

JennH
#654FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 11:27am

finebydesign said: "That article has a ton of information about the production.  Almost spoilery. 

"

I mean, it has the most info we've gotten about it thus far and how it'll change, but I didn't think it spoiled too much. Honestly, I was loving reading it, because it sounds like they're taking it in the direction it needs to go, the direction the movie should have gone but didn't. No more trolls....PRAISE! And what they have to replace them sound WAY better. I just wonder if that means the nixing of Fixer Upper. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind that. If they kept the trolls, yeah might as well keep the song as terrible as it is, but there's way better ways to work that part of the plot, especially the "Kristanna" plot line. 

I dare anyone to say that new second act song for Elsa ISNT the 11 o clock number. That was foreseeable. And the title for her new first act one...if the title is any indicator (I hope), that should be a great song.

jtishere
#655FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 11:33am

I'm beyond thrilled that they've trashed the trolls. They were the weakest part of the film for me. And if the bland and boring "Fixer Upper" has to go with them, all the better.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#656FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 11:39am

I loved Fixer Upper, not going to lie... but I did hate the trolls. So glad they're getting rid of them, and replacing them with something much more unique. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#657FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 12:10pm

I'm actually damn shocked they pulled a Hunchback and the trolls are gone since the movie is so recent. 

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#658FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 12:28pm

That article raised an interesting structural question for me. If they're "Journey to the Past"-ifying "Let It Go" and making it the Act 1 closer (which does make sense in a way), does that mean we don't even meet Kristoff until Act 2? It might be a problem to have the entire primary romantic subplot take place in only half the show, unless they're really emphasizing the red-herring nature of the Hans subplot. 

JennH
#659FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 12:51pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I'm actually damn shocked they pulled a Hunchback and the trolls are gone since the movie is so recent. 

"

Well they're not so much gone as being replaced with a different type of Scandinavian creature of their folklore. And considering they're being interpreted as more mystical rather than the "obviously aiming at children" trolls, I'm good. 

Bwyrose-I wondered that myself back when it was confirmed a while ago that LiG was the act break. I figure a couple scenarios will happen, and I feel they all just likely as the rest. 

Theyll expand on act 1 immensely OR they'll restructure it and have some of the stuff from after LiG in the film, be in act 1, kinda like how the On Ice show was done, or a mix of both, which is my preference. You have to expand on it, but you also can't have her meeting him in act 2 either. Olaf is really the only character that can wait until act 2. I think we all can agree act 1 needs expanding and maybe some structure retooling but act 2, needs all sorts of work. 

lordofanime
#660FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 2:00pm

I'm not happy at all with Let It Go being the act 1 breaker... 

Couldn't we get a new song where all the characters sing right after Elsa freezes Anna's heart? It could be Elsa singing about what's she done, Anna singing about doubting her feelings for Hans cause of Kristoff, Kristoff singing about Anna, and Hans also singing in this song? Think "Esmeralda" from the Hunchback score... I would have loved that. cheeky

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#661FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 5:00pm

Fixer Upper just feels so tacked on.  It has that Sesame Street-style Lopez has used before in Avenue Q and even some parts of Mormon.  

Call_me_jorge
#662FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:00pm

Just read that article again and I'm really shocked by the amount of money they spent on this. Is that the largest for any Disney show?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JennH
#663FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:12pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Just read that article again and I'm really shocked by the amount of money they spent on this. Is that the largest for any Disney show?

"

It might be a TAD higher than most shows they've put on, but considering how much they made in the last fiscal year, honestly this feels like a drop in the bucket for them. Also...lest the world need reminding that Spider-Man cost about 64 Mil and it still is the highest price tag for a Broadway show I believe. So this really feels like peanuts. Besides, we all know it's Disney and they can afford it and if that's what it takes to make this work and actually measure up to BnB and LK (still their two best) then fine.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#664FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/10/17 at 3:13pm

Cool photo!

https://twitter.com/ShentonStage/status/895724626319466497

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#666FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/11/17 at 10:36am

Frozen tickets are on sale to the public on Monday, August 14.  But the site is saying they're on presale with codes.  Does anyone have the codes to kindly share.   Ticketmaster said they are codes from Broadway.com but Broadway.com said that's not true.  Amex doesn't work either.   Can some please share?  Thanks!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#667FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/12/17 at 11:12am

Anybody know when opening night will be? Planning to grab tickets on Monday, but I'd prefer to see it after the show is, well, frozen.

Call_me_jorge
#668FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/12/17 at 11:18am

maybe try for April, since previews start in February 

JennH
#669FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/12/17 at 11:50am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Anybody know when opening night will be? Planning to grab tickets on Monday, but I'd prefer to see it after the show is, well, frozen.

"

HAHA! If I'm correct, per Union rules the show has to be...frozen(dear lord...) by about a week before official opening night. I usually like seeing stuff after official opening myself. And I'm 99% sure official opening will be March 14, I went looking through tickets dates and I usually search for the one day anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks after previews begin that would usually be a ticketed date, but isn't. March 14th is a Wednesday night and everything before and after that day is a pretty standard 8 shows week, but the 14th has no time listed to purchase for, which tells me that's opening night.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#670FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/12/17 at 12:04pm

Excellent! Many thanks, Jenn and jorge FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#671FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/12/17 at 2:53pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Anybody know when opening night will be? Planning to grab tickets on Monday, but I'd prefer to see it after the show is, well, frozen.

"The last press release I saw said mid March was opening.  Looking through dates I didn't see an earlier start time to any show which usually indicates opening but there's a week in March I saw only 7 shows that week posted so it may be in there not on sale.  I went for early April to be safe.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#672FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/12/17 at 2:54pm

If I'm correct, per Union rules the show has to be...frozen(dear lord...) by about a week before official opening night.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any actual Equity rules regarding freezing a show, and it's just a traditional practice, not rule.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#673FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/13/17 at 2:29am

Tag said: "If I'm correct, per Union rules the show has to be...frozen(dear lord...) by about a week before official opening night.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any actual Equity rules regarding freezing a show, and it's just a traditional practice, not rule.

"

I would agree... seeing as Wicked has made structural changes years after the show opened.. as I'm sure many shows creators have decided to make tweaks here and there. There really are no rules per say... they just want to ensure reviewers and tony voters are seeing the best possible show they can put out. 

dev101
#674FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 8/14/17 at 7:27am

trying to decide wether or not to buy tickets on Monday. loved the movie, but still not sure if I need to see it on broadway. I also don't want to wait for it to become a big hit to decide to see it. Do you guys think it will be a massive hit and impossible to get tickets to?

Videos