pixeltracker

'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige- Page 3

'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#50'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 3:46pm

I accept that she's not known in America Jane but she still does concert tours that sell-out throughout the UK, not just in the West End of London.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#51'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 4:48pm

Is Elaine Paige a Brit?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:03pm

I just watched the duet with the two of them and it confirms that Boyle is really nothing special. It also confirms Paige's voice is one of the best on the planet. Miss Paige, please do us a favor and return to Broadway. In anything, I don't care. Even Next to Normal or Wicked. I don't care.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#53'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:08pm

I SO agree, Jordan. I love her so much and have for so long. I would see her in ANYTHING... ANYTHING! Even FWC! 'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige

So glad I caught her in SWEENEY at NYCO few years ago!

P

Jordan Catalano
#54'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:13pm

One of the first Broadway shows I ever saw was SUNSET BLVD with her. I was with my Father and we were waiting out in the freezing cold (Winter of '96 which I still was one of the worst in many many years) at the stage door and about an hour later the guy came out and said he told her we were waiting and she insisted he bring us inside and out of the cold. We waited for a few minutes in there and she came down, almost rushing, and couldn't stop apologizing for us waiting out there. She said she didn't think anyone would be there so she was just hanging out. We sat with her and talked and talked about theater and her career for what was actually a pretty long time. She signed our playbills and took pictures and was the very definition of grace, beauty and kindness. And for that reason, she'll always hold a special place for me.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#55'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:17pm

Jordan, what a wonderful story!

Jordan Catalano
#56'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:20pm

:)

It was a really special experience and a memory that I really do treasure. I miss my Dad but I do love the picture of the two of them. He was in a wheelchair and she's standing next to him and didn't even have to neal down much. She's a little one! lol
That picture always makes me smile.

Jordan Catalano
#57'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:27pm

I don't know why but this just made me burst out laughing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWM4PrJdJ4

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#58'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:34pm

"Is Elaine Paige a Brit?"

'fraid so. They get everywhere - I don't like them very much - their teeth are horrible. 'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige

She was the first person to play Evita on stage. Although I was only a child (or maybe because I was only a child) I remember her being front page news on all the papers the morning after
Evita had its press night in the West End.

Updated On: 1/29/10 at 05:34 PM

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#59'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:44pm

First Evita, first Grizabella . . . pretty much first lady of the West End.

And as Jordan's story shows, a lady in the best sense of the word.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#60'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:53pm

Plus, CHESS - easily one of the best scores of the 80s, and one of the best rock scores of all time - was written expressly for her personality and voice, needless to say she originated the lead role of Florence in the West End.

Also, it was because of Rice's relationship with her and ALW's with Brightman that the men eventually split and ended their partnership, as each wanted to write a musical for their respective leading ladies. ALW's show turned out to be TELL ME ON A SUNDAY/SONG & DANCE (and, also, CATS - which Paige eventually starred in alongside Brightman, but ALW's eleventh hour request for Rice to pen lyrics for "Memory", which he did (and which are quite good), which he then vetoed caused the final rift between the two). Rice's was, of course, CHESS.

Elaine also is my favorite Claudia in NINE, with the best "Unusual Way" on record as far as I'm concerned (though Benanti is no slouch, and I find a lot to like in the reinterpretation of the song for the film but don't hate me too much for that).

P

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#61'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 6:06pm

I thought Sarah Brightman was a replacement in Song and Dance. Wasn't the show written for (and collaborated with) Marti Webb?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Gothampc
#62'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/30/10 at 1:25pm

"Also, it was because of Rice's relationship with her and ALW's with Brightman that the men eventually split and ended their partnership, as each wanted to write a musical for their respective leading ladies. ALW's show turned out to be TELL ME ON A SUNDAY/SONG & DANCE (and, also, CATS - which Paige eventually starred in alongside Brightman"

ALW originally started Tell Me On A Sunday with Tim Rice. Then ALW realized that Rice was writing it for Paige whom he was having an affair with. ALW dropped Rice from the project.

Paige starred in Cats, Brightman was just in the chorus. And ALW's musical for Brightman was Phantom of the Opera.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.