pixeltracker

He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG- Page 3

He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#50He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/3/11 at 12:15pm

Now, when do we find out about the other shows this season?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#51He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/3/11 at 12:38pm

I am a bit confused. Was his full audition the demo he sent in?

Just give the world Love.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#52He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/4/11 at 12:55am

It will be the revised version. Encores! didn't use the original scripts for FOLLIES nor NO, NO, NANETTE.

Yeah, but they chose the revised version of No, No, Nanette because it was already streamlined from the original book. And they really wanted to use the twin pianos in the orchestra.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#53He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/4/11 at 4:50pm

Nanete's revised libretto is much much more than merely "streamlined"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#54He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/18/11 at 1:36pm

Sondheim just confirmed that it will be the revised version.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/18/11 at 01:36 PM

Owen22
#55He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/18/11 at 1:53pm

So sad. I saw the original when they "sneakily" did it at the Donmar ten years ago. Its so much better than the revised version.

RainbowJude Profile Photo
RainbowJude
#56He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/20/11 at 2:38am

Love the idea of Lin-Manuel Miranda as Charlie. Hope it works out well!

uncageg wrote: Sondheim just confirmed that it will be the revised version.

He also qualified which revised version:

Stephen Sondheim wrote: Under Lapine's direction, George and I revised it, particularly the first half of the first act, in 1985, when Lapine did it at La Jolla [Playhouse], and this is essentially that version. I'm meeting Lapine tonight and it's one of the things we're going to talk about: which aspects of which version we're going to use. It'll essentially be the 1985 [script and score], which has additional songs, things like that. George and I got it the way we wanted to, finally, in the 1990s when we did it in Leicester, England, and that's the version that's been done since. It was the version that was done down at the Kennedy Center in 2002, and that's based on the Lapine version.

The article does fleetingly mention the idea of a Broadway transfer and I wonder what would happen then, if the 1990s version of the show is meant to be the "official" version. Will they make the changes to what gets done at Encores!? I'd find it odd to should there be a major revival of a version that isn't the ideal version that Sondheim has sanctioned.

At any rate, it is nice to see this show get another high profile outing that could lead to a Broadway revival.
Stephen Sondheim Confirms That MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG at Encores! Will Be Revised Script and Score

Musical Cyberspace: a tribute to the musicals of Broadway and beyond.

Copperfield2
#57He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/20/11 at 1:49pm

I thought Raul was a fine Charlie in Merrily at the Kennedy Center but that was quite a while ago. I wish he could do George again but since they revived the show so recently that's unlikely.

Lin-Manuel is an interesting choice for Charlie. I don't think either Lonny Price or Adam Heller had killer voices when they played it but they were both good Charlies. I wish I had seen Evan Pappas do it.

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#58He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/20/11 at 4:19pm

As someone raised on the OBC album, I hope this production is wonderful and makes The Big Move.

Copperfield2
#59He's Charlie! Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Encores! MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
Posted: 11/21/11 at 1:00am

The Kennedy Center production was close to wonderful. I think they're aiming to move this with Lapine directing.

Videos