pixeltracker

Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened- Page 3

Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened

Owen22
#50Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 10:29am

"It's quite possible that a movie of "She Loves Me" with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke would be my favorite thing ever."

Yes. Yes and more yes.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#51Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 10:39am

There was also a Reba-led Annie Get your Gun TV movie, a Cher Mame TV movie and recently that Willow Smith Annie.

Gothampc
#52Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 10:46am

castlestreet, it has been said that Meryl Streep recorded some Evita tracks. I never heard whether they were destroyed or not but I don't think they've shown up anywhere. I also heard that Streep was testing the singing waters with Postcards from the Edge and how she felt about that would determine if she had a future with Evita.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#53Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 1:13pm

Surprised no one mentioned Hairspray 2, which was cancelled, thank god.

There was also some original musical movie that was supposed to star Parker Posey and Kristin Bell, in a very Wicked-like storyline... I think Andrew Lippa was doing the music?

We've heard nothing about the movies of The Last 5 Years and 13 that were announced over a year ago.

Jon
#54Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 1:52pm

In the mid 1970's, when Hal Prince's adaptation og CANDIDE was running on Broadway, there was announcement of a film version in development with:

Peter Sellers as Voltaire/Pangloss, etc.
Elton John as Candide
Olivia Newton-John (pre-Grease) as Cunegonde.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#55Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 2:21pm

It's quite possible that a movie of "She Loves Me" with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke would be my favorite thing ever. What a bummer that it never happened!

Count me in!!!

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#56Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 2:46pm

^ Yikes.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Gaveston2
#57Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 3:15pm

I also heard that Streep was testing the singing waters with Postcards from the Edge and how she felt about that would determine if she had a future with Evita.

I'm not blaming gothampc, but this story strikes me as apocryphal. Streep starred on Broadway in the Brecht/Weill HAPPY END and off Broadway in a musical ALICE AT THE PALACE back in the mid-70s. I think she knew she could sing.

FWIW, I thought her "Checking Out" was brilliant in POSTCARDS. But I don't think it told anyone much about whether she could sing EVITA.

Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
#58Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 3:29pm

Not a big fan of Beyonce, but I'd think she'd make a very good Aida. And Christina Aguilera would do a great job with "Strongest Suit." Neither of them are really strong actors, but Aida's fairly easy in that department. The show lends itself to a screen adaptation. It was a big hit on Broadway and would win over the tween set easily. I'm surprised they haven't made it into a movie yet.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#59Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 3:37pm

"Surprised no one mentioned Hairspray 2, which was cancelled, thank god. "

Oh jeez that pitch was awesome! I totally forgot about it:

As for the plot, he said: “People hate Tracy (Nikki Blonsky) because she doesn’t lose weight. They ask ‘Now that you’re famous, why won’t you lose weight?’. And Link (Efron) experiments with drugs. Throughout half the movie, he has an ongoing dialogue with three pimples on his forehead.”

“Edna (John Travolta) loses weight, but sees her husband (Christopher Walken) lusting after fat women,” Shaiman laughed, citing one of the musical numbers he’s particularly eager to write. “And so, she finally breaks down and runs over to a snack table. Just within one number, she gets fat again; gaining 20 pounds at a time. [Her fat] pops out, and by the end of the song she’s completely at her old weight again.”

Hairspray 2 Updated On: 5/17/12 at 03:37 PM

Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
#60Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 3:42pm

^Yup. And I think it was going to be during the height of Beatlemania. Totally didn't sound ridiculous and stupid. Efron singing a duet with his pimples? Genius! Hairspray 2, you get your Best Picture Oscar in advance!

Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened

bobs3
#61Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/17/12 at 3:59pm

In 1972, after the huge success of the FIDDLER ON THE ROOF film, 20th Century Fox bought the film rights to THE ROTHSCHILDS (reportedly as a project for Topol) but it never made it past the early development stage.

Updated On: 5/17/12 at 03:59 PM

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#62Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/20/12 at 3:27pm

GREASE 3 was being penned in 2003, and Olivia Newton John said she was being asked to return... I wonder what that consisted of, seeing as how the only real original character to return in the second one, was Frenchie.

Gaveston2
#63Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/20/12 at 3:33pm

^^^^I assume you mean "only one" of the original "students". Eve Arden and Dody Goodman were in GREASE 2.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#64Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/20/12 at 3:44pm

Yeah! With the students, I meant... I mean... Were they wanting to show how they all turned out, maybe? Set in the 70s or 80s? Sounds like an excuse for a high school reunion movie.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#65Delayed movie musicals... or ones that never happened
Posted: 5/20/12 at 3:58pm

What did ever happen to the ITH movie? Wasn't J.Lo and Kenny Ortega attached at one point?

Videos