pixeltracker

Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?- Page 3

Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#50Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 11:19pm

Trying to define one form of theater as "REAL" theater is incredibly close-minded especially as theater as a whole edges towards more experimental grounds.

What Lady Gaga presents REAL theater performance, you made not like it, and you are certainly welcome to criticize her, but it's not necessary to discredit her completely.

Updated On: 6/30/13 at 11:19 PM

somethingbypuccini 2 Profile Photo
somethingbypuccini 2
#51Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 12:42am

All that jazz that 100% untrue about Tisch musical theatre.

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#52Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 5:19am

Tisch accepts 60 students into their musical theatre program a year, which is about forty more than every other quality theater program in the country. Tisch stopped being a great program about thirteen years ago. It's been skating by on its reputation since then.

Gaga is talented, but she does not have the vocal prowess for this role. Get an unknown - a Kennedy Caughell type.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#53Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 9:48am

"Trying to define one form of theater as "REAL" theater is incredibly close-minded especially as theater as a whole edges towards more experimental grounds.

What Lady Gaga presents REAL theater performance, you made not like it, and you are certainly welcome to criticize her, but it's not necessary to discredit her completely."

Sorry, I can't give your post much merit. You should know the difference between the kind of theater we're talking about here and what gaga does. We're talking about a legit production which requires a high level of acting, singing and dancing to qualify for the role. I'm not referring to her participating in grandiose tableaux which require high level costumes, makeup and special effects. Feel free to call me incredibly closed minded but I don't see the acting involved . Two entirely different genres of theater.

I never said I didn't like it. It's worthy of watching as mild entertainment and some laughs.

I didn't discredit her completely, but if you think I did, well I can discredit her as much as I want. We're free to do that here, as it's only an opinion in a post.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#54Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 9:55am

A friend who was connected to the last EVITA revival assured us confidentially that Lady Gaga was going to be the replacement for Elena. We considered trying to buy tickets for the post-Elena part of the run before the Gaga announcement would be made, but obviously it never came to anything as the show ended with the departure of her and Ricky.

Would have been interesting, though.

Claudia Draper
#55Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 10:48am

IMO, no revival of Funny Girl will happen until BARBRA is not with us anymore. In the interim, GYPSY is happening. Gaga as louise. John C. Reily as Herbie. Haters hate but you will be first in line. THANKSGIVING 2014.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#56Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 10:50am

Yes, the movie opening in just over a year with no official casting announcements, distributor, or anything.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Claudia Draper
#57Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 10:53am

you are correct.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#58Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 11:00am

"Haters hate but you will be first in line. "

haha, I don't hate, I just doubt. and no, I won't be anywhere on a line for her.

I don't hope she fails, maybe she'll be good. But I won't be going.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#59Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 11:54am

"Sorry, I can't give your post much merit..."

Excuse me? I clearly know the difference between the types or genres of theater we are discussing. I just found your post I first responded to condescending. What Lady Gaga does is a type of REAL theatre. It's different from the also REAL musical theatre, I know that. I'm not an idiot. I'm not saying Stefani Germanotta is even remotely appropriate for the role of Fanny Brice, I just didn't like the way you phrased things. There is clearly a misunderstanding here so I'll stop. I'm sorry.

AnthVoice2010 Profile Photo
AnthVoice2010
#60Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 12:04pm

Unlike Lea whom Barbra called "pleasant"...Barbra called Gaga "..the real deal"...

The question would have to be why?

Why Gaga, who is still at the very beginning of what should be a long career, would WANT to play the hardest female musical comedy role ever written - eight shows a week - for what could be as long as a year.

A role that will forever remain in a shadow as long as there’s a way to play a movie or a CD.

Her salary would probably be comparable to Ricky Martin. ($100k a week plus 15% gross) but Gaga made three times that from one concert at MSG in 2011.

Yes, it would be a great artistic challenge for her but for god’s sake, why a revival? Why not something new, original.

I think the times has come to stop believing this show can be revived as easily as a “Gypsy” or an “Evita”…

It can't.

"There's no damn business like show business - you have to smile to keep from throwing up." - Billie Holiday
Updated On: 7/1/13 at 12:04 PM

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#61Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 12:33pm

Theatre, at its basic core, is someone communicating an idea through spoken word, dance, or song.

What Lady Gaga does is communicate her ideas through all of it. It may be a tableaux, but there is some substance under all the spectacle.

Fortunately for us, Jane2 isn't in casting or producing.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#62Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 12:49pm

Using the term "theatre" to define Lady Gaga is broadening the definition to include all performing arts. Which some may be fine doing. I, for purposes of classification, categorization, and specificity, am not.

Yes, Lady Gaga is a persona. And yes, she uses theatrical elements. The ostentatious nature of those elements is her trademark. But I have trouble defining what she does "theatre," especially if other artists like Beyonce or Katy Perry or, really, pick a name, are excluded. They all have similar elements.

If Gaga was producing concept albums and performing them at concerts in such a way that they had an even tenuous storyline, psychological journey, overarching theme or statement that goes beyond or deeper than veneer, then I would be more willing to call her a theatre artist.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#63Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 1:01pm

"Fortunately for us, Jane2 isn't in casting or producing."

haha,how do you know I'm not.

Wow, you googoo fans are way over the top.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#64Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 1:09pm

*Not even a fan oops*

EDIT: Ooooh okay sorry! Updated On: 7/1/13 at 01:09 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#65Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 1:27pm

jungle red

wonkit
#66Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/1/13 at 2:46pm

Does Lady Gaga like sushi?

Claudia Draper
#67Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/2/13 at 9:08am

It is all about BOXOFFICE. Gaga will sell tickets. Money over Talent. This is why we get terrible film version of Broadway Shows. But, in this case, it will not be a train wreck because of one thing. BARBRA JOAN STREISAND. a talent who can make the money, hunties.

HATERS in 3, 2, 1

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#68Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/2/13 at 9:24am

I'm not a Streisand fan but I know that she's a perfectionist in her work. I'd be surprised if she'd put a box office over talent, as you put it, in the lead.

Claudia Draper
#69Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:43pm

MONEY TALKS. Nobody will finance without someone like a GAGA, STREISAND is not enough (sadly) After THE GUILT TRIP, she wants to make a big splashy return to her 70s MOVIESTAR REALNESS.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#70Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:47pm

Why THE random CAPITALIZATION?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#71Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:49pm

Yeah, stop yelling, Marsha.

N2N Nate. Profile Photo
N2N Nate.
#72Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/20/13 at 5:27pm

While listening to FUNNY GIRL today I pondered how well Gaga could do with a role like this and I actually think with the right direction she could be fantastic. I think she could bring something Organic and natural to the role.

So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#73Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 7/20/13 at 10:47pm

It's fine to think so, but since it's so easy to link to samples nowadays, how about ONE SINGLE LINK to Gaga singing anything that suggests she can handle Styne's score?

Just for comparison:

Here's Streisand singing "Cornet Man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5WXExgr9Ao

"The Only Music that Makes Me Dance" (from late in her run)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxWrfKiAxKI

I'm not a hater of Lady Gaga by any means, but just because we like a performer doesn't mean she is right for everything. And maybe she can sing music as rangy as that of FUNNY GIRL, but I haven't heard it.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz

Videos