pixeltracker

CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?- Page 3

CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#50CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/5/19 at 4:23pm

I have been able to drop a show here and there during my many years as a subscriber.  I asked four different subscriber service reps at four different times if I could drop one show. They all said they are not allowing that next season. Some said show producers wouldn’t allow it. 

Updated On: 5/5/19 at 04:23 PM

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#51CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 4:36am

While I agree that this is the worst Ahmanson season since 1993, when I subscribed for the first time, this has nothing to do with artistic taste or bad management.

The subscription model has been failing in most major regional theatres, and The Ahmanson has been especially badly suffering from drop in subscription sales. The average age of the Ahamanson subscriber is 72 and rising. The big donors in LA tend to give money to the Philharmonic and to Art Museums.

The Ahmanson simply can't afford to keep up the level of shows that it did in the past. The cost of touring shows has increased. 

As for pre-Broadway shows, the Ahmanson is not in the top-tier of regionals that theatres reach to.There are plenty of shows in development that are circling Broadway but none were evidently interested in trying out their show in LA.

Unless the Ahmanson can rope in some big donors or come up with a Hamilton-size hit, expect to see more one man shows in coming seasons.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

chrishuyen
#52CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 12:13pm

Looks like the last show might be a revival of 1776? "...the coproduction will also be presented in a handful of cities between the A.R.T. and Roundabout engagements, including at Center Theatre Group's Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles in July of 2020"

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/1776-sets-broadway-revival-for-2021_88649.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=06may2019

jwsel
#53CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/6/19 at 4:24pm

1776 is confirmed as the TBA show. The CTG posted on Facebook that it is part of the 2019/20 season.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#54CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 1:16am

Kudos to CTG for scoring this show.

I certainly am not going to waste my hard earned money on their careless lousy season at The Ahmanson but will buy tickets to this.

and the Taper season does look good...I think I'll subscribe

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#55CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 1:53pm

BroadwayBaby6 - I agree with all of your thoughts. There are many, many factors which go into choosing a Broadway season. I’m sure CTG was faced with hard decisions to make (though to me BOM was a bad one). They used to bring in more shows in tryout.  But like you said lately tryouts been going to Chicago, Boston, Seattle and even Berkeley.

I’m 50/50 on 1776. I’ve seen it many times, but I like Diane Paulus’ work.  Here’s hoping it’s an intriguing production of the show.  

DCS
#56CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 2:15pm

From my sources (who are closely linked to CTG) they know this is a weak season for them, but it was certainly not intended to be.  They had 2 productions fail to move forward ....1 was a tour (Torch Song) and the other was a new musical that would have been having it's pre-Broadway run at the Ahmanson....when both of those failed to move forward, they were left scrambling for replacements, thus the two solo shows.  The other big issue that CTG is facing is booking the tours of big, popular musicals since they are in direct competition with the Nederlanders who operate the Pantages (a much larger venue) and are also now booking the Dolby Theatre.  The Pantages and Dolby are much more attractive to tour producers since they can sell many more seats there and rake in more $$$ each week.  I'm sure CTG is planning on some bigger and better offerings for the following season.

Wildcard
#57CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/8/19 at 2:43pm

Does CTGLA have the means of mounting their own productions without intentions of reaching Broadway afterwards? I would rather they revive a show with a great cast (even Encores style) than what they're doing this upcoming season. 

Also, when they called me to ask me to renew, they asked if I had any intentions of seeing any show at all. When I said yes, they asked if it was Book of Mormon. I said no. They go - oh, the cost of a single ticket to BOM will be more expensive than subscribing to the whole season if that was what I wanted to see. 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#58CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/9/19 at 1:36am

shame on everyone at CTG and their carless attempt at cobbling a season together for the ahamnson.  i do admire the season at The Taper tho

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#59CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/9/19 at 11:27am

Thanks, DCS, for your reported information. There are so many factors that go into securing a show season so I get it. I wish they had come up with other choices when smaller regional theatres are mounting shows which have never played LA like Oslo, The Wolves and other recent well-regarded plays. Or do what they used to do and mount a production of a popular classic play. Or bring in a Matthew Bourne production that has not played in Los Angeles.

Updated On: 5/9/19 at 11:27 AM

MorrisLACat
#60CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/11/19 at 5:39am

TORCH SONG didn't stand a chance.  The play flopped on Broadway. A financial disaster without a return on investment, so no funding to launch the national tour. Could not earn a profit. Left the producers in debt.

Center Theatre Group offered to pay some of the expense to re-mount the play at their Ahmanson but it was out of their budget.  They also considered their Mark Taper Forum as an alternative which has lower overhead costs.

Broadway tour producers/promoters such as Troika, NETworks, Broadway Across America were least interested.

I saw the revival during previews in November 2018. I didn't like it nor I recommend.  The revisions of the play were good. The flaw of the play was Mr. Urie's inflated ego or Mr. Kaufman's lazy and off-beat direction.

Updated On: 5/11/19 at 05:39 AM

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#61CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/12/19 at 10:21am

"Torch Song" would have been a great fit for the Taper. Shame that's not happening.

Videos