Mary Poppins CD

DoubleDown11
#50Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:32pm

Is there a place on the net where I can listen to some clips of the show? Thanks all!

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#51Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:55pm

There was a post a few months back with a link to a great 12 minute video of some of the shows numbers. They performed PRACTICALLY PERFECT and SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS. Bert opened with CHIM CHIM CHEREE. At that time I almost pee'd.

Here's the link to that thread:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=552996#552996

Updated On: 4/28/05 at 03:55 PM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#52Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 5:08am

I saw those clips on BBC Prime here -- it was during a charity telethon. Super... didn't really impress me watching it on the television, but I loved it on the stage.

BTW, John, the show opens with Bert singing Chim Chim Cheree... and it's repeated (with different lyrics) on and off throughout the show.

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#53Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 8:23am

Hey Kec,

When Bert dances on the proscenium walls and ceiling during STEP IN TIME, does he start climbing up after he says "AND RODS"? There's an upside-down picture of him in the souvenir program, so I'm assuming that's from this number.

Do you see his whole body or is he just shown from the waist up? It's hard to tell...

-John

kec Profile Photo
kec
#54Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 9:03am

Sorry, John, I don't remember exactly when he starts his climb, but I can tell you we see his entire body as he does his walk...

EganFan2
#55Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 10:01am

What about "Feed the Birds"? What's that like?

kec Profile Photo
kec
#56Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 10:15am

Sung mostly by the Bird Woman, although Mary Poppins does sing a bit of it. She's not sitting on the steps of St. Paul's as she does in the film though. I thought it was lovely, and, as that song is one of my favorites from the film, I got a bit emotional as it was sung... *blush*

Funny thing... on one of my trips to London a few years ago, I was in the area of St. Paul's on a Sunday morning, on my way into the cathedral for the service. I found myself looking right at the spot where Jane Darwell sat with her wares, absently thinking about the song! Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

EganFan2
#57Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 10:17am

That's my favorite song in the movie. It's so beautiful. My mom and I had to see the steps of St. Paul's when we were in London, too!

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#58Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 12:12pm

She does not sit on the stairs, but she's outside I think... at least outside a cathedral!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

matthius202
#59Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 12:15pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW COULD THEY REMOVE "STAY AWAKE"!???!!!?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i'm seriously depressed. wow. how horrible. and i love sister sufragette too. i'm actually pissed now. NO.

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

DoubleDown11
#60Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 4/29/05 at 12:37pm

Hey guys. One question...when will this CD be released in the US not as an import? The reason I ask is because buying it as an import is $30 and buying the US release would only be $20 or so. I'm just trying to save money but on the other hand I don't wait too long to hear this. Thanks.

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#61Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 5/2/05 at 8:49am

Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

double,

I just checked for you at amazon.co.uk. The price, when shipped is a total of $22.00. Although it says that the price of the CD is £9.99, when shipped to the US, it's £8.50 plus shipping. So, it comes out at $22.00 US.

Go for it. It's WELL worth it for the booklet alone.

-John

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#62Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:02am

Does anyone know what The Sherman Brothers think of the new version of Poppins? I haven't read any articles that discuss this, but would love to know what the brothers think. I was quite surprised that they had no part of the new songs. I know Robert has been living in London for a few years now...

TEMPER,TEMPER has really grown on me. At first I didn't think that it fit well with the rest of the new songs, but now I think it's brilliant. It has a very Danny Elfman feel to it. I like creepy stuff anyway...ha ha.

DoubleDown11
#63Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 5/2/05 at 10:38am

Thanks JHart. I just ordered it. It was actually even better than you said. The total came out to be just under 12 pounds(that includes S&H to the US). So I think its about $16 USD (I believe the rate is 1USD = 1.3Pounds). Well I should have this in a week!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#64Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 5/2/05 at 10:52am

Actually, according to this site: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

12 GBP is $22.72.

The rate of exchange is as follows:
1 GBP = 1.89399 USD 1 USD = 0.527985 GBP

So the dollar is only a little more than 50 Pence.
Updated On: 5/2/05 at 10:52 AM

DoubleDown11
#65Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 5/2/05 at 1:03pm

I guess I'm off with my exchange rate. $22 is a great price still! Thanks all.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#66Mary Poppins -- some spoilers
Posted: 5/2/05 at 3:57pm

It can get confusing. Just keep in mind that as far as the British Pound is concerned, the exchange rate is never in our favor. Mary Poppins -- some spoilers

Videos