Mary Poppins Video

MouseInfo
#0Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/21/04 at 11:58pm

I really hope this has not been posted yet. I did a search on Mary Poppins and did not see anything. So, here is a link to a 12 minute clip of the Mary Poppins Musical.
Mary Poppins Musical Video Updated On: 11/21/04 at 11:58 PM

shlamdiddly Profile Photo
shlamdiddly
#1re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 12:58am

I LOVED THAT!!!!!! The Supercali...whatever...part was awesome!

You aren't feeling overwhelmed are you?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:24am

Wow, okay. I was really really nervous to watch this because I think it's one of the most magnificent movies ever made and it was such a HUGE part of my childhood. I was disappointed that I heard she was cast as Mary Poppins, because I had seen her in FIDDLER and thought she was awful. But anyway, my reaction to the video:

I thought the opening clip was magnificent - such a wonderfully creepy orchestration, and I thought it was brilliantly done.

The second part was when I was actually shocked by Laura Michelle Kelly - she's absolutely amazing in this role, and the kids are wonderful.

Lastly, I was so very very disappointed in the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious part...it's BRILLANT in the movie, and how they tie it in to the "cartoon" world through the sidewalk sketch - I was hoping the stage version would be very close to the movie, but they completely re-conceived this song. I rather like the new arrangements and additions to the song, but I don't like the premise of it. I want to see Mary and Burt in their white outfits and umbrellas watching a horse race! But we'll see - you can't judge anything from a television performance, but this video has definitely confirmed my love for Mary Poppins and has made the wait for the transfer to Broadway THAT much more unbearable, it's going to be breathtaking. Thanks, Mouse, this made my night.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Allie
#3re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:32am

WOW! What a great video. That little boy is just precious, and I've always had a soft spot for Bert.

I'm very impressed! Thanks for the link, it made my night, too!

Allison

PS: You think it'll come to Halifax anytime soon? Didn't think so. re: Mary Poppins Video

munkustrap178
#4re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:34am

Is anyone else not thrilled with the new "Supercali..." premise?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#5re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:42am

wow. it's interesting. i hope it opens here though cuz i would love to see it!

::bust a move::

Allie
#6re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:45am

I don't know... I kind of like it. I AM a big fan of the movie, though, so I'm in agreement with you that they're lacking in the matching outfit watching horses department! The dance part is pretty neat, though. Is it just me, or did they change the melody a tiny bit? I think it's just before they sing the word "supercali..."

munkustrap178
#7re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:50am

They definitely re-worked something, but unlike other music in recent revivals, or film to stage transfers, it worked. I hope they dont make the show campy. I wonder how that random woman in the orange desk in "supercali..." fits into the plot. She doesn't at all go with my vision of what London was like in those days, especially from the movie.

Allie
#8re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:52am

Yeah, that woman had scary make-up. She looked very much out of place.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#9re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:54am

Am I the only one having trouble downloading the entire thing? It only downloads until 26%, and then there's always a network error.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 11/22/04 at 01:54 AM

#10re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:56am

I loved the opening with Bert. Fun fun.

I picture Mary just a tad bit older, but that's just me. Other than that, it looks like it'll be great. Hope I'm not disappointed :)

munkustrap178
#11re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 1:56am

She looked like she was out of Hairspray. I think such an important part MP is the "chorus people," I guess you'd call them in the musical, but in the movie, the regular street people. I was always very very scared of the men that work at the bank, and I think you're supposed to be, so I hope they make them very creepy. The scene that always scared me when I was little was after Jane and Michael flee the bank and run home before they run into Burt and that old woman pops out and says "Come with Grannie!!!!" I literally used to have nightmares about it. I hope they keep the same creepy, scary, dirty, raw feeling to some of the Londoners on stage.

BWIDB Charlie
#12re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 2:06am

Remember, this was a performance on a children's benefit thing - and they mentioned it opens in December...so it could turn out differently in the end.

But I doubt it.

Charlie
magicpiane@kc.rr.com

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#13re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 2:22am

Bloody Brilliant!

VIETgrlTerifa
#14re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 7:55am

I still have to watch the ending because the video stopped for me. However, am I the only one who doesn't like the "Practically Perfect in Every Way," song? I mean that in the movie she just said in passing like it was normal. I'm not sure if I like the song yet because I didn't think it was too enjoyable. However, maybe my opinion will change after the re-watch.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

broadwayguy2
#15re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 8:16am

I rather enjoyed the whole performance. It was great to see an appearance from the cast of a stage musical lasting more than 4 minutes.

Sad sad sad.. people are already havinga fit because it isn't a carbon copy of the film.

WDIN, GREAT new icon!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#16re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 10:25am

1) Whoever complained about Mary's costume during Supercali... there was no time for a costume change - IF there will be one. This was for a televised children's benefit. Similar to performances on daytime/primetime talk shows.

2) They did a great job in bringing in a lot of the Set. Imagine how it will look in the theatre!

3) I personally enjoyed everything. It works for the stage. The movie is the movie and we can't expect to see exactly that. If you do just want to see that - then watch the movie.

I cannot wait to see this. Its going to be so tempting not to buy the Cast Recording. Bring it to Broadway soon!!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

FabalaCohen
#17re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 11:35am

Only got to watch up to the middle of the Practically Perfect song BUT

The little intro with Bert was cute. However, I don't think there needs to be Practically Perfect. It's a key line in the flim, but I don't think it needs to have a whole song.

*points to siggy* If there's any Disney movie I wanna watch again and again, this is it. First exposure to the wonder that is Julie Andrews, and I cannot WAIT to get the CR of this.

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#18re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 12:07pm

Just to clear a few things up:

Firstly, this is a video of a performance on Children In Need, a fundraising event by the BBC. It is not a video of an actual performance and as they were squeezed onto a tiny stage, everything had to be scaled down - the actual song is longer and the dancing more elaborate than seen (although you can get the gist of it from the video). It practically stopped the show both times I saw it!

Also, 'Practically Perfect' fits in with the stage show as it's the first moment when the children begin to see that Mary Poppins is a bit different - it replaces the 'Spoonful of Sugar' scene in the film, which has been moved and used differently later on.

There is a new section to Supercali... where they spell the numbers - Stiles and Drewe have subtly expanded a few other songs as well

As for the woman in orange (whose name I can't remember right now) - she is owner of a shop that deals in sweets and conversation (hence them trying to buy words). She is not a normal Londoner, but in a show with flying nannys and dancing statues, she doesn't seem too out of place re: Mary Poppins Video

VIETgrlTerifa
#19re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 12:12pm

I don't have a problem with the show not being exactly like the movie. I just thought the song was a bit zzzz, and would have been better if they didn't spoonfeed the kids that she's practically perfect. I just have to get used her Mary Poppins being very boastful about being practically perfect.

Again, I just have to warm-up to it and I might like it.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

VinnieTheIceman Profile Photo
VinnieTheIceman
#20re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 12:43pm

Folks, I can assure you from someone who has seen the show in Bristol, this is hardly a fair representation of what the show is really like. It is in fact spectacularly staged and will be much more so once it hits London. This video gives you a small idea, but I promise you haven't seen anything yet!

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#21re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 3:15pm

What a wonderful video. Thanks for posting it. Laura Michelle Kelly IS Practically perfect. I'm looking forward to the show.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#22re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 4:11pm

It was a bit disconcerting at first to hear different lyrics in Supercalifragilisticexpalidocious -- after all, when you've grown up with the film, the songs stay with you re: Mary Poppins Video. But I think is looked and sounded great, and I look forward to seeing it in London in March. re: Mary Poppins Video

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#23re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 4:55pm

Is the woman in orange Mrs. Corrie? Or is it Nellie-Rubina? That would be awesome if they were in it. The books have so many interesting characters, and its a shame that only some of them could have made it into the movie, even if Mary Poppins IS my favorite movie. Its one of the few movies that I love equally with the books.

HROK?

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#24re: Mary Poppins Video
Posted: 11/22/04 at 5:45pm

looks like a part-ay!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Videos