Saycon in Wicked

Elphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
#50re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 12:16am

I never thought about it before, but Elphaba is supposed to be white. I always thought that she was meant to be an embodiment of any race. When I think about it, she is supposed to be the "anti-white," that is, not like Frex, Melena, and Nessa (and Shell in the book). This "anti-whiteness" is what the audience/reader is lead to believe that this trait is the cause of her isolation. Whether we like it or not, Elphaba is ostricized, at least by her family, for not being white. Granted, if she came out brown, the reaction might be more of confusion and not of disgust, but I digress.

Now her feelings, coping strategy, and ultimate triumph (more or less) can be applied to anything that isolates us, whether it's race, creed, or anything. At least, that's what I think.

whiskedaway Profile Photo
whiskedaway
#51re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 1:10am

of all the roles there are, I would think this one would be one of the least race specific. she's green! it can be played by a white, black, hispanic, asian, purple, whatever! as long as they can sing. and from the clips I've heard, she CAN sing.

bella cantato
#52re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 9:14am

I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous. The thread needs to be dropped and certain individuals can take their racism elsewhere, because it does not belong on Broadway, or anything associated with it. Broadway is one of the few places in this world that we can escape from the racism and homophobia that consumes the rest of the world so please, just take it elsewhere. Thanks.

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

sfrp
#53re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 9:32am

Maybe I'm becoming an old fogie, but the off-hand dropping of the term "ghetto" to describe someone will just never feel or sound ok to me. At a basic dictionary-style level, I do not understand it.

I visited Ms. Sengbloh's website. Nothing about it suggests that she comes from a living situation of limited economic means or inferiority, which is at best what you're claiming when you call someone "ghetto." Or maybe you mean educated but not white? Or daring to look sexy while not being white? "Ghetto" is an ugly term, even when it gets bandied about carelessly.

R&B is not ghetto. R&B is a style of singing that is traditionally black, but once again: black does not equal ghetto. Shoshana Bean also sings in an R&B style most of the time, but we all take it on faith that she is capable of playing a role separate from that every night. Extending the same courtesy to Ms. Sengbloh, who is also an actress, would go a long way toward not raising people's hackles.

sassypanz
Posted: 7/1/05 at 4:45pm

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 04:45 PM

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#55re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 5:52pm

By looking at her site there is no indication that she is a "Black Ghetto Girl." So, because she sings R&B and soulful songs and the way her website is, she's "ghetto?" I don't think so.

I haven't heard her squeak. I think she has a good voice

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

sassypanz
Posted: 7/1/05 at 10:06pm

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 10:06 PM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#57re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 10:57pm

I've not heard her "squeak" or "screech" at all. I'm curious as to what you consider her "squeaking" or "screeching" to be.

Joshua488
#58re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 11:04pm

Yes, I agree with sassypanz. We actually had this discussion before.

It's not really a squeak, per se. On some notes, the pitch will "squeak" up at the end. It's difficult to explain.

I'll look for the old thread where someone did explain it well. Updated On: 7/1/05 at 11:04 PM

Joshua488
#59re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 11:08pm

Here is how QueenMuppet described the squeak:

She does this 'Michael Jackson thing' at the end of a lot of notes... suddenly taking the note up a bit, a bit like an annoyed guinea pig.

I replied with:

YES!!! THAT'S IT!!! And I love when she does that! I heard a recording of Saycon singing "Defying Gravity" and she does it right at the high F. "I'm flying hiiiiiiiigh, de-FYYYYYY-(squeak)-ing gravity..." I love it!!!

I like the squeak.

sassypanz
Posted: 7/1/05 at 11:09pm

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 11:09 PM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#61re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/1/05 at 11:48pm

I read that description the first time it was posted. I didn't understand it then either.

I've heard a clip of Saycon singing it. I don't notice whatever "annoyed guinea pig" sounds she apparently makes. I love her voice. So pure.

sassypanz
Posted: 7/1/05 at 11:55pm

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 11:55 PM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#63re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 7/2/05 at 12:30am

I just don't hear it.

sassypanz
Posted: 7/2/05 at 1:54pm

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 01:54 PM

Videos