Saycon in Wicked

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#0Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 10:50pm

Has anyone seen her as the leading lady?? If so, is she any goof? Sorry if there are other posts about this...but... had to ask Saycon in Wicked

WickedCatsontheRoof Profile Photo
WickedCatsontheRoof
#1re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:09pm

Yes I saw her first performance. I really enjoyed it and thought she was GREAT. Check out Thenardier's blog. Yes there have been posts try searching and you will find out more.

http://bsobw.broadwayworld.com

Dov'`e mia luce, mio cor?
Updated On: 6/28/05 at 11:09 PM

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#2re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:20pm

Vocally, she is STUNNING!

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#3re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:22pm

WOOO!

Go Roofie, linking my blog!

HA!

WickedCatsontheRoof
#4re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:24pm

Yeah I beat you to it. re: Saycon in Wicked Well that's good. I'm glad you don't mind.

Updated On: 6/28/05 at 11:24 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#5re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:25pm

I'm an attention whore like my Auntie W, of course I don't mind!

Plus, you save me from being nasty yet again!

WickedCatsontheRoof
#6re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:26pm

Oh right. How soon I have forgotten.

Updated On: 6/28/05 at 11:26 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#7re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:27pm

Did you call the BO?

Don't IM me...I'm eating!

Ebonic_Singer
#8re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:29pm

I have a recording (shhh) of her as Elphaba and she's good. She isn't as vocally spectacular as Shoshana in my opinion, though.

WickedCatsontheRoof
#9re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/28/05 at 11:29pm

Oh G-d forbid I disturb feeding time. Heh heh... I'm just as bad as you are. No, I haven't. I was busy running around doing other errands in and out of the house.

Well threadjacking has been fun.

Updated On: 6/28/05 at 11:29 PM

sassypanz
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:15am

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 12:15 AM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#11re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:22am

No.

In fact, her black sass works as Elphaba and makes it fun to watch.

PJ
#12re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:40am

Shoshana uses quite a bit of "black sass" in Wicked, too.

bella cantato
#13re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 10:30am

Sassypanz, I don't really agree either.

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness
Updated On: 6/29/05 at 10:30 AM

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#14re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 11:04am

Yea sassy, i don't agree with that. Care to explain your statement a bit better?

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

Derek
#15re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:12pm

No I understand what you mean...however at times, Shoshana can sound like a black singer as well. when i first heard her and didnt see her i could have sworn she was black. it works for me tho.

Derek
#16re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:27pm

No I understand what you mean...however at times, Shoshana can sound like a black singer as well. when i first heard her and didnt see her i could have sworn she was black. it works for me tho.

DefyingPopular
#17re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:07pm

I thought Shoshana was black as well. However, I also find that she has so much soul in her voice that it gives Elphaba that 'soul/black' ish feeling.... like even in 'Never Never Land' by Scott Alan, when Shoshana sings it, it's so soulful.

bella cantato
#18re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:13pm

Okay, excuse me, but I still don't get it. I mean, if Elphaba is played by a white actress, then she might have the mannerisms of a white girl and therefore she will be "white" and not "green." Since green girls do not exist in real life, we cannot affix a "white" stereotype to them either! If Saycon had mannerisms that we would typically associate as "black" sass, then who cares? Elphaba can have black stereotypes, she can have white streotypes, she can have Asian stereotypes... it doesn't matter! But when saying that having black mannerisms and not "green" mannerisms what you are inferring is that Elphaba should have "white" mannerisms which is not only wrong but it has a hint of racism in it!

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#19re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:00pm

Well said (or typed)...good point...

-Vincent

crp2000 Profile Photo
crp2000
#20re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 4:08pm

bella cantato - Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
the ignorance on this site is quite sad (and comical) at times.

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#22re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 4:25pm

Well everyone IS a little bit racist... haha, just couldn't let the opportunity pass itself up... I do agree though, it doesn't matter what race the actress is as long as she does it well.

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#23re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 5:45pm

The comment about Saycon doing the role in ebonics makes me laugh.

"It's mizzle. IT'S MIZZLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!!"

"So if you crizzle to fizzle mizzle, lizzle to da wizzle skizzle!"

WickedCatsontheRoof
#24re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 5:49pm

Darn I wanna say fo shizzle, but I don't agree.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#25re: Saycon in Wicked
Posted: 6/29/05 at 5:55pm

I don't agree either. I think a black woman can play the role just as well as a white woman. Actors are not meant to be carbon copies of the originators of their roles. It's just not meant to be that way. If Saycon wants to bring a part of herself into her interpretation, way to go! If you disagree with her acting choices, that is YOUR problem, not hers.

That's my 2 bits.

Videos