best? worst? phantoms

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#50re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 7:17pm

lol, whoops, well that's what I get for posting at 2 in the morning. re: best? worst? phantoms

Oh, and there is a site that lists all the Broadway actors who played the role, in order. https://www.geocities.com/phantomonbroadway/act_prev_cast.htm

Early 1993 was Marc Jacoby, late 1993 was Marcus Lovett. Davis Gaines started in mid 1994.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 11/4/05 at 07:17 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#51re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 7:24pm

Hugh was great when I saw him

But the best Phantom ever has to be Michael Crawford. He gave, IMO, one of the best performances in the history of theater. I thought he was a revelation in every way.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#52re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 8:07pm

John Cudia (He went on as the understudy; Great Raoul though)

I must disagree, I sawe him about 3 years ago when he was understudy for the Phantom and he went on and he was amazing. I really liked him.

Now, as a theatre obsessor, I am sad that I missed Howard McGillan.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#53re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 8:48pm

Best: Michael Crawford. It was a legendary performance, and I saw him in it twice. I will never forget the impact he had on me and the rest of the audience. It was among the greatest: Mostel in Fiddler, Streisand in Funnny Girl, Channing in Dolly, Merman in Gypsy, and Brynner in The King & I. It doesn't get better than this.

Robert Guillaume: Commanding and impressive... but stiff. He sang it incredibly well though.

Howard McGillin was fine, but not captivating or electric at all. He had already played the role a million times before I saw him in it, but I wasn't terribly impressed. I like Howard, too, just not so much in this.

Gerard Butler wasn't really allowed to BE the Phantom. Instead he was some sort of wet-dream super-hero fantasy of Joel Schumacher's. How could anyone be scary or thrilling presented like a second-rate "Boy Wonder?" I didn't mind his gutteral, untrained singing. It was raw, but truthful. Michael Crawford's voice isn't that great either, but he was so BRILLIANT in the part. I blame Gerard's ineffectiveness entirely on Schumacher.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 11/4/05 at 08:48 PM

DoctorBroadway Profile Photo
DoctorBroadway
#54re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 9:11pm

Worst, by far, is PAUL STANLEY (YIKES!!!) followed by Michael Crawford, and Gerard Butler.

Best, without a doubt, are Peter Karrie, Colm Wilkinson, and Brad Little

#55re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 11:11pm

yes brad little is one of the best! yes i need to learn to let other people have their own opinions, thats why i posted this thread! And kangaroo I dont feel like using punctuation, not that big of a deal!

Videos