#0best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:26pm

Best:
1-Michael Crawford
2-Brad Little
3-Davis Gaines

Worst:
1-Gerard Butler
And that is all of the phantoms that I heard sing who do you think worst 3? and best 3?

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#1re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:32pm

i thought Hugh Panero was really good! re: best? worst? phantoms

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

#2re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:38pm

I never heard him sing I also heard 30 seconds of Colm Wilkinson and he was pretty good

nomdeplume
#3re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:40pm

Phantom2!

#4re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:42pm

Who else thinks Gerard Butler is the worst I hated his voice acting good voice horrible he is hott though LOL

mcphan19 Profile Photo
mcphan19
#5re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:45pm

Best:

1. Michael Crawford
2. Davis Gaines
3. Hugh Panaro

Worst:

1. Gerard Butler
2. Gerard Butler
3. Thomas James O'Leary

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#6re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:54pm

Michael Crawford
And, this guy who I saw on the tour a few years back was good.

And yeah, Gerard Butler is just, no.

jynni
#7re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:55pm

Best:
1. Brad Little
2. Franc d' Ambrosio
3. Whoever sings the Phantom on the Italian movie Soundtrack

Worst (no particular order):
1. Colm Wilkinson - He's an awesome Valjean but just totally wrong for the Phantom. Sounded like a dirty old man.
2. Gerard Butler - I love him to pieces but he's just not a good singer. Good actor and hotter than hell.
3. Ted Keegan - he wasn't bad but I just didn't like some of his interpretation/acting choices.

Stick
#8re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:04pm

Michael Crawford without doubt!!
the emotions just flew right into the hearts of the audience.
Actually made me cry!!

Oh and Gerard Butler?? The role is designed for GOOD singers. I don't care how good an actor he is. If all he can do is act put him in a NON-singing show!!!

Eliza0114
#9re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:11pm

the guy who is doing it now...I don't remember his name, sorry...has an amazing voice, but when the Phantom screams and/or cries, he sounds like a girl. it's sad.

"you can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl." ~Rent

Eliza0114
#10re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:11pm

the guy who is doing it now...I don't remember his name, sorry...has an amazing voice, but when the Phantom screams and/or cries, he sounds like a girl. it's sad.

"you can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl." ~Rent

mcphan19 Profile Photo
mcphan19
#11re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:21pm

do you mean on Broadway? If so it's Howard McGillin (again)

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#12re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 5:39pm

I hate to beat a dead horese, but...

G E R A R D B U T L E R

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#13re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 6:00pm

Don't necessarily have a best/worst phantom, but if we start talking about worst Christines that's another story!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

amcchemist Profile Photo
amcchemist
#14re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 6:04pm

I really like Michael Crawford, especially when he does Music of the Night. He's a real presence on stage. The current actor playing in POTO in London, Earl Carpenter, is also outstanding and had me on the edge of the seat the whole performance - if you can make it to see him, I would highly recommend it.

As to worst, you guessed it, Gerard Butler. I about cried at how badly he did MOTN. I played it for a cowoker and she stated "it sounds forced; it sounds like he's constipated!" After hearing Michael Crawford just blow me away doing that song, the awfullness of GB performing it was even MORE pronounced. Quite frankly, I didn't think much of GB as an actor either. Personal opinion, of course! re: best? worst? phantoms
Updated On: 11/2/05 at 06:04 PM

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#15re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 6:08pm

oh Howard McGillan, oh yuck. I'd rather hear Gerard Butler anyday. Howard kinda ruined Phantom for me. The last time I saw it was over five years ago....maybe I should see it again...

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#16re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 6:09pm

Two words. Gary Mauer.

He so has the brilliant, misunderstood genius downpat.

Phantomerik15 Profile Photo
Phantomerik15
#17re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 6:30pm

BEST?
HUGH PANARO-i saw him a total of six times (including his very last) and he has always blown me away!
Gary Mauer-his final lair is just heart-wrenching!

WORST?
Gerard Butler was awful...nothing much else to say
Colm Wilkinson-it's mentioned above somewhere and i agree with that person. LOVED him as Valjean..but..Phantom, he just sounds too much like an old man!..dirty old men who stalks teenage girls...ewww.

Back, he spurred like a madman, shrieking a curse to the sky. With the white road smoking behind him and his rapier brandished high! Blood-red were the spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat, when they shot him down on the highway, down like a dog on the highway, and he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat... (The Highwayman. Sung by: Loreena McKennitt)

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#18re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 6:35pm

I cannot disagree more.

I just cannot enjoy Wilkinson's Valjean. On the contrary, his Phantom is amazingly powerful. A dirty old man. Yeah, you are right. Phantom is a kind of psycho, and much older than Christine. It is Raoul who shoulb be young and charming, not Phantom.

Besides, Wilkinson is younger than Crawford.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#19re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 7:29pm

I NEED to start off with the worst Phantoms I have seen, lol...

WORST:
- Brad Little (Emotion-less performance)
- Gary Mauer (Sounded a bit like a dying animal)
- Gerard Butler (Hey it's the movie, lol)
- Davis Gaines (What can one say)
- John Cudia (He went on as the understudy; Great Raoul though)

Okay, now we can go to the best:

- Howard McGillin
- Hugh Panaro
- Craig Schulman
- Michael Crawford
- Thomas Borchert
- Ethan Freeman

There we go! I may think of a few more eventually, lol!

Later!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

#20re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 7:34pm

Best:
Hugh Panaro

Worst:
Gerard Butler

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#21re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 7:40pm

Best...Hugh Panaro. He was absolutely amazing. Enough to bring me back to the show 15 times total, including his last show.

Honorable mention...Mikael Samuelson on the Swedish Cast Recording. And I like what I've heard of Earl Carpenter.

Worst...Howard McGillin. I know he's had the most performances...but his voice grates on me something awful.

In all fairness...regardless of my personal likes...I won't included Gerard Butler on either list...I don't like to rank film Phantoms with stage Phantoms. But that's just me.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#22re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 8:03pm

I have to say that of my list, Ethan Freeman is the best I have had the pleasure of seeing...Of course it was in Germany, lol!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#23re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:05pm

Best:
Hugh Panaro
Stephen Buntrock
Chris Gronenedaal
John Owen-Jones

Worst:
Paul Stanley

I haven't heard that many that I really hated. I love Colm as Javert and he's OK as the Phantom but not one of my faves. Howard McGillin I'm 50/50 on. I love his voice outside of Phantom but haven't been that impressed with him in the role so far. Though my thoughts may change when I finally see him onstage in the next few weeks.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

rock00 Profile Photo
rock00
#24re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 10:10pm

Yes, but best lead singer of a glam rock band?

Paul Stanley. :)

Seriously, Panaro's the best by far, though I've always liked Howard McGillin as well.

-b

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...

Videos