pixeltracker

NATHAN LANE ON "LETTERMAN" ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)- Page 3

NATHAN LANE ON "LETTERMAN" ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#50re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 1:24am

I just find the greatest irony in the fact that once again,

cartman was right

there's a semi-indie movie about gay cowboys. if they eat pudding at any point in this movie, I will die happy.

Was that a fat joke?

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#51re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:26am

Holy Christ, if the fundamental conservatism of Lee wasn't in full evidence to you in THE ICE STORM, as it was to me, then I suppose you would miss that he played such an integral part in turning a straight woman's fantasies of a gay relationship into a paean to the closet.

You're kidding, right? You've talked out of your ass before, Namo, but this really takes the sh*t. THE ICE STORM is a critique of the "Me"-obsessed culture of the early 1970s and how the social changes of the period are disastrously and irresponsibly appropriated by a wealthy Connecticut family and their friends, driven by their selfishness and ennui. How you squeezed "fundamental conservatism" out of this melon is beyond me, and says more about your paranoid approach to art than about this film.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 12/23/05 at 02:26 AM

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#52re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 10:34am

i thought the "me era" was considered the reagan years. sorry just looking for clarification

FindingNamo
#53re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 10:47am

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, The Ice Storm was a repudiation of the feminist and sexual liberation movements of the '60s.

Brokeback Mountain is a celebration of the closet.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 10:52am

How exactly is it a "celebration" of the closet? It's about about a period of time and a place where two men who expressed their love for each other could quite possibly be killed shunned by everyone they know and love. It wasn't an option for them and for many people, it still isn't.

FindingNamo
#55re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 10:56am

Brokeback may have STARTED in 1963, but it sure didn't end there.

And, I could go point by point on it, but that would make this post full of spoilers. What works in a short story as an allegory, does not work as well when literalized onscreen. If, in fact, the closetedness is forced upon them, then there is no way that the two men would behave the way they did, there's no way Mushmouth, excuse me, Ennis, would bust out in an easily observable PDA. None, at all.

Jordan Catalano
#56re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:01am

True, it didn't start in 1963, but what makes it even more tragic is that for the film's 20 year span Ennis couldn't come to terms with who he was. It's not celebrating that fact at all. All you need to do is watch the last 5 minutes to see what his fear did to him as a person.

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#57re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:12am

i agree with daneilm
the movie is a strong piece of work that has a universality that everyone can relate to.better yet the movie never points the finger at any one person or thing saying its their fault. everyone in this movie is held responsible for making choices. they are held responsible for what they say, what they chose not to say and what they intentionally hold back on. this movie isnt just about 2 men, it is also about how choices made have long and far reaching affects from the tragedy of jack twist to the daughters love for ennis del mar.
so much we say....so much we dont say...say it. dont let love become a tragedy

FindingNamo
#58re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:12am

Yes, you're exactly right. All anybody needs to watch is the last five minutes. But unfortunately there's quite a bit in the hours that preceed that that don't really add up. I don't believe Ennis didn't "come to terms with who he was," in fact, I agree with whichever of the two "brave" actors it was who said they weren't "gay." They weren't. They certainly had nothing to do with the cultural construction of what "gay meant" in 1963, 1969 or later.

Which is why there is nothing to "come to terms with." Essentially it's a movie about doom and tragedy, it's kind of the other side of the coin of "Boys in the Band," a film many have rejected in the decades after Stonewall. And I think it pushes the buttons of a lot of damaged gay men (and culturally, that's a lot of us) and actual and metaphorical dreamy tween girls who somehow see the "beauty" in desperation and hopelessness.

Jordan Catalano
#59re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:17am

I think what it comes down to is that this is a story about 2 men's decisions and THEIR lives. It's not your life and it's not my life. It's just telling a story about them. Whether or not they were right or wrong in their choices is, like every other story, left up to the viewer.

We saw it differently and that's good. If everyone agreed on everything it would make for a very boring world.

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#60re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:40am

hmmmm? that thoughts sounds familiar

Jordan Catalano
#61re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 11:49am

LOL. I guess it does. re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#62re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 12:39pm

:) have a good christmas Jordan

Danielm
#63re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 1:00pm

Namo, I think you're way off on this. In no way does Brokeback Mountain make the closet seem like a fun or romantic thing. I think this movie says quite the opposite. The tragedy of the characters is that they could not open their minds and live their lives in a way that would make them happy. If only Ennis could look outside the oppressive way he was raised and live his life with the person he loved. I don't think the movie is a romance at all. It's about fear and self-loathing keeping two men from living full lives. It's not about working out a relationship, it's not about how gay couples in this day and age relate. It's about how they don't.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

FindingNamo
#64re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:25pm

It's not about gay couples at all. But then again, I'm one of those out gay men who doesn't think every time two men have sex with each other it means they're gay.

Danielm
#65re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 2:51pm

Namo, have you seen this movie?

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#66re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/23/05 at 5:32pm

Namo.. I usalyy either agree or respect your opinion. But I do believe you to be way off.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

FindingNamo
#67re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/24/05 at 12:18am

Yes, Mr. M., I have see "this" movie. The movie.

neddyfrank2
#68re: NATHAN LANE ON 'LETTERMAN' ( Brokeback Mountain-the musical)
Posted: 12/24/05 at 12:35am

I loved it! Very Funny

Videos