Steel Pier

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#50re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/19/07 at 8:03am

Couldn't agree more with Margo -

I remember how excited I was taking my seat in the theater about to see a new Kander and Ebb musical and then . . .

I couldn't wait for it to end - found absolutely nothing about it remdeeming or likeable or even memorable. Although I have the CD, it may be time for another listen - based on some of the other posts maybe the music is better as a standalone!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#51re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/19/07 at 8:38am

It definitely is, FRC. That's why people who have only heard the score think it must be a great show and don't understand why it was such a floperoo.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#52re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/19/07 at 8:56am

I found many things about it quite likeable - especially some of the performances (Debra Monk, Kristin C, Karen Z),,,but it was a lackluster book, unfortunately.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#53re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/19/07 at 2:34pm

I'm with Margo on this one as well. I saw the show the night before it closed and found it to be rather painful. Am I the only one who wasn't impressed in the least by Susan Stroman's choreography? Especially Ziemba's Cassie meets Peggy Sawyer in blue number on the roof if memory serves me correctly. I though Ms. Ziemba did a phenomenal job with what she had to work with and I did find "Everybody's Girl" and the divine Ms. Monk's performance to be the highlight of the show for me.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

fossemoves
#54re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/19/07 at 2:43pm

Love the insight Margo.

Like someone else mentioned, perhaps in 15 years a revival with a severe cut of the book will help.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#55re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/19/07 at 4:17pm

I too was excited too see the new show and then i thought it was okay. The music was good though!

LoringsGuy
#56re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/19/07 at 5:08pm

Aside from "Two Little Words" (I think that's what the song is called), was Kristin featured prominently in the story at all?

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

ShowtuneRick
#57re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/19/07 at 11:53pm

I really liked this show. I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I don't get why it wasn't more successful.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#58re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/20/07 at 12:07am

This is sooo weird. Steel Pier came onto my itunes the other day and now I can't stop listening to it. I really, truly love Steel Pier. The score, like many have stated, is absolutely beautiful and has breath-taking orchestration but the story really makes no sense and is ridiculous. However, it's still one of my favorite musicals.
Karen Ziemba is my hero in this show. And Lovebird will always and forever be one of my favorite shows. I think they should do a concert version of this show.
Updated On: 3/20/07 at 12:07 AM

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#59re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/20/07 at 8:00am

Someone previously mentioned that EVERYBODY'S GIRL sounds like it would be a great drag number... Well let me tell you first hand that it is..

re: Steel Pier

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

jbdc
#60re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/20/07 at 10:05am

Hey LoringsGuy,

Chenoweth played Precious, a naive newlywed who comes to dance with her husband. The character actually has a huge arc in the show. She's perky and wide eyed to the point of irritating the other characters at the beginning and she discovers the dark side of success--*Spoiler* (HA! LIKE ANYBODY'S GONNA SEE A PRODUCTION ANY TIME SOON) Her husband fakes exhaustion and quits the marathon, and she is pissed that she has to find a new partner. It's implied that in order to get to sing in front of the newsreels, she has slept with Mick, the promoter of the marathon who is allegedy going to marry Rita (Karen Ziemba's character). Then Precious tells her husband to leave, he refuses. This is where Shelby (Debra Monk) sings somebody older--to Precious's husband, because he knows Precious is never coming home. Then Precious gets to sing at the staged "wedding" of Rita and Bill--all done for publicity. Rita finds out about the fling between Precious and Mick--realizes that Precious is exactly like she used to be. Mick is done with Rita and Precious will be his new star, he never meant to fulfill any promises. That is the last straw for Rita, and she leaves--thinking it will be with Bill. But, sadly, Bill is dead--he only got to come back because Rita aka Lindy's Lovebird still owed him a dance. And he happened to change her life in the process.

jbdc
#61re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/20/07 at 10:19am

Also, Susan Stroman talked last night about Steel Pier, saying, as a choregrapher and one of the co-conceivers, the show was a great creative experience. And even though it only ran 6 months, she always felt it was a success just getting it produced in the tightly controlled, multi-million dollar production business that is Broadway.

I'm paraphrasing, of course. Also, it's the reason she got to do Contact, and that's the reason we have a Special Theatrical Event Tony. So Steel Pier has a legacy...sort of.

LoringsGuy
#62re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/20/07 at 11:14am

JBDC, thanks for the synopsis. You'd never know from the cast recording that Cheno played such a prominent role.

JRybka, I saw a drag queen win a national pageant doing that number, replete with chorus boys in tuxes and giant feather-covered fans!

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#63re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/20/07 at 1:58pm

You'd never know from the cast recording that Cheno played such a prominent role.

If you are just listening, you may well wonder why this screechy soprano is getting a showcase late in the game, but if you read the synopsis it is explained. Still, the number worked a lot better on stage with Kristen getting constantly upstaged. It doesn'r really come through as well on the recording.

For the record: STEEL PIER opened April 24, 1997 and ran until June 28. Hardly a "six month" run. Maybe she was rounding up?

I saw the Broadway staging and have since seen two community productions. It is quite popular with community groups and the show does seem to play well to an audience. The score,as noted, is very good and even if the book is problematic, it is far from being a disaster. It was a much better show than JEKYLL AND HYDE or THE LIFE, both of which ran longer. TITANIC did have the dramatic edge, but special effects aside, was poorly directed.

It was an odd season, none of the new musicals were perfect. STEEL PIER lead the way with 11 Tony nominations and won none. 21 years before CHICAGO went into the Tony awards with 11 nominations and wone none, but did manage a two-year run. Then it came back in the 1996/97 season and blew everything else out of the water.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

fossemoves
#64re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/20/07 at 2:06pm

Perhaps we'll see this one again - Revivals always do well when reconcieved.

I've been trying to get my producer friend to revive it regionally and still nothing. I really want to direct it. I think it's potential is great.

Phantour
#65re: Steel Pier
Posted: 3/20/07 at 3:18pm

I saw this show done at the University at Buffalo (I guess we've been doing Broadway flops lately -- Steel Pier & Merrily We Roll Along). I was a student usher for a practicum so I saw every show. I really loved the music and although the book does need work, the moments that some people find cheesy or far fetched, I really enjoyed. I really love the moment at the end of Act I when Bill stops time, has Rita get back up again and everything goes backwards. We had an excellent lighting design for the show and a very energetic cast. I wish I could have seen the original cast on Broadway to compare the similarities and differences of the performers.

Videos