SUNDAY Reviews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:43am

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02222008/entertainment/theater/by_george__revivals_pretty_as_a_picture_98690.htm

3 Stars from Barnes. He liked it, but hated the second act, and warns readers.

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte," is one of the most visually amazing shows ever to reach Broadway.

Evans and Russell - both brought over from Buntrock's West End cast - seem to have Tony Award written all over them.

Do go and see this unmissably innovative piece of musical staging - but don't blame me if, at the end, you feel you might have done better to leave at the intermission.

Updated On: 2/22/08 at 12:43 AM

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#51re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:09am

Who would have guessed that a Broadway show could make Ben Brantley write the words "The animated dogs, in particular, are delightful."

Seems like Brantley loved the revival, although he has some issues with the source material. Big thumbs up to Sam Buntrock.

being.jeremiah
#52re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 3:03am

"Putting It Together," come Tony time, Sam Buntrock should be lauded for his efforts.

Plum
#53re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 3:16am

Saw this production at the Menier Chocolate Factory; can't wait to see it again on Broadway. Especially since Murray didn't like it- I disagree with him completely about 90% of the time, which means I'll probably love this.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#54re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:24am

Clive Barnes never did get this show. It is the second act that provides the heart and without out it the first act is just an excuse to create a stage tableau of the paiting.

In 1984 Barnes wrote: "It simply doesn't sing... It might be easier to go to the park with anyone than to spend it boringly in the theatre with George."

Later after it won the Pulizre Prize he tried to backpeddle but his words are there for all to see.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

#55re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 6:12am

you know whose review i want to read?

MARGO'S!
Updated On: 2/22/08 at 06:12 AM

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#56re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 7:50am

Am I the only person that thinks the second act is absolutely essential to clarifying the mission and vision of the piece? I really don't understand the near-uniform dislike. While the first act by itself comes a fine conclusion in the creation of the painting, I don't think the emotional or intellectual conclusion is nearly as eminent as it is in the second act.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#57re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 8:24am

Congratulations to Sunday in the Park with George with all the rave reviews!! specially from Brantley. I am specially happy for Jessica Molaskey bec. she is great and she is very nice in person too.. re: SUNDAY Reviews

I smell a TONY! re: SUNDAY Reviews

J*

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#58re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 8:26am

The whole bit in Talking Broadways review that really Puzzled me was when he was harping on about the show is now in a venue thats 5 times bigger than its UK home.

Well yes Studio 54 is a lot bigger than the Chocolate Factory but the show moved in to the west end and did fine there.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#59re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 10:42am

kidmanboy- No you're not alone in thinking that Act 2 is essential. To me, Act 2 really completes the show's message and the themes that it conveys. Withouht Act 2, SITPWG is just a musical about some guy finishing a painting. On a PLOT level, however, Act 2 is a little out there and hard to digest for many. A large reason being the enormous shift in time and the often misunderstood confrontation between Dot and present George ("Why is she talking to him like he's the old George?" etc.) And after all, plot is all that most people care about.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

#60re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 10:55am

Wow... I wonder who Alexander Gemignani schtupped over at the Financial Times to get that positive mention.

I thought he was pretty terrible.

And sad not to see any mention of Stacie Morgain Lewis, whom I thought turned out a delightfully hysterical Frieda.

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#61re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:33pm

Does the 2006 London Revival Cast Recording hold up to the rave reviews of the show?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#62re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:20pm

A couple of things...

Without the second act, this musical wouldn't have won the Pulitzer Prize. That's a FACT, not an opinion. It would not have qualified as showing "American life" on any level at all, so it wouldn't have been eligible for the award.

I agree that without the second act, you don't have the whole story or the intent, just like Into the Woods. It's the second acts of both that really tell us something. Act 1 for Sunday is about creating art and the sacrifices made in order to do that. Act 2 is about connecting to art, understanding it, and learning from it.

Act 1 is the "cause." Act 2 is the "effect." That's true for both shows. I wouldn't want to see one without the other, ever.

I'm very glad to see Mary Beth Peil getting these notices. I have loved her ever since I saw her as Anna opposite Yul Brynner in the "farewell tour" of The King and I. She was actually a friend and colleague of my voice teacher in college, and she showed up one day right in the middle of my voice lesson (!), and sat in on the session. She was lovely and charming in every way possible, not intimidating in the least. Even though I was seeing her as Anna just a few nights later!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 2/22/08 at 01:20 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#63re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:29pm

Does the 2006 London Revival Cast Recording hold up to the rave reviews of the show?

- The recording is GREAT. Evans & Russell sound sensational on it. The London supporting cast was also quite good. And they added more players to the orchestra for the recording.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#64re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:33pm

Best, after these reviews. Do you think Mary Beth could sneak into the featured actress category as a nominee? I hope so. Even Jessica Molaskey got great notices.
Updated On: 2/22/08 at 01:33 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#65re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:40pm

This terribly sad, pitiful Left Coaster hasn't seen the show yet... but it would be great if Mary Beth got nominated! Just because I like her.

re: SUNDAY Reviews

She was nominated once before, for the King & I revival years ago.

I'm just glad she continues to work steadily and receive praise for her performances.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#66re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:49pm

I, too, am glad for Mary Beth's notices. Although I wasn't a fan of Cumpsty's performance and yet he, too, is getting fine notices.

And yes, the London recording is wonderful. Jenna Russell is one of only two actresses I've heard give full fledged performances on a recording (Toni Collette in The Wild Party is the other).

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#67re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:13pm

I just read most reviews and I'm quite delighted. I don't necessarily agree with the positive notices for Molaskey, whom I wanted to like so much but didn't really enjoy, but I am thrilled that Piel got across-the-board raves, she is at the top of her game in this production.
I can't believe so many people, including Brantley, criticize the second act. I thought it was the strongest act in this particular production, I loved every second of Act II.
And Besty, you need to get to the East Coast ASAP to catch this show, it's worth it :)

EDITED for minor geographical error.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 2/22/08 at 02:13 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#68re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:21pm

*hands dear ray a compass*

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#69re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:26pm

I love that Peil is getting such good reviews, but I'm surprised Gemignani isn't getting mentioned more. I thought he was excellent, in both acts.

And wickedfan, Jenna's performance on the album is even more extraordinary considering she hadn't done the role onstage yet!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#70re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:06pm

*hands dear ray a compass*

Hey! I was hungover and hadn't had much sleep re: SUNDAY Reviews Mistake fixed *blush*

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#71re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:23pm

It is pretty extraordinary considering, wonderfulwizard.

And ray, most of the reviews I've read haven't dismissed this production's Act 2, just that they have qualms with the act itself. Which is understandable, most critics don't. I'll agree, though, I loved Act 2 in this production more than Act 1, which is the exact opposite of how I feel about the original production. Question, did the pacing seem a little slow to you? One too many pauses and such for me.

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#72re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:24pm

I'm thrilled to see the show getting such wonderful reviews! I wasn't sure if I would catch it again when I head to NYC in a few weeks (saw it twice in London and loved every second), but I definitely will have to see it now. I'm quite interested in seeing Mary Beth's performance after reading the great notices for her.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#73re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:38pm

I saw the show in London. It was quite the most breath-taking experience of the whole year!

Rotel1026
#74re: SUNDAY Reviews
Posted: 2/22/08 at 10:20pm

Any idea when they will extend the discount code for this? I'd love to see this when I'm there in May.

Videos