News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for kidmanboy

kidmanboy Profile Photo
Member Name: kidmanboy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 06:59:55 PM

That links to the live feed - looking for a video of the speech because I didn't get to the live feed in time.

RunnyBabbit said: "kidmanboy said: "So mad I missed Shaina's acceptance speech because I was watching ET interviews! Anyone know where I can find it online?"

The posted a direct link on Twitter. See if this works: https://t.co/Ynwla4cyTf
"

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 06:54:28 PM

So mad I missed Shaina's acceptance speech because I was watching ET interviews!  Anyone know where I can find it online?

SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Jun 6 2024, 09:03:27 AM

Love it and don't agree that it doesn't sound like the live show.  I think it captures the momentum very well.  And these orchestrations by Michael Starobin are truly lovely.  This would absolutely have my vote for Best Score.

The Lonely Few @ MCC
 May 27 2024, 09:02:54 PM

I assume no one that's been complaining about Tommy being loud has seen this! I immediately regretted not picking up earplugs on the way in.  But in this case the volume also made a good chunk of the lyrics unintelligible.  Overall, though, I enjoyed the performance.  Yes - it's a slight plot, but it's enough to add emotional heft to some excellent songs with fantastic vocal performances.

What is the worst production you have ever seen on Broadway? What is the worst show?
 May 18 2024, 06:56:16 AM

Absolutely has to be Memphis. Utterly baffling. 

A few dishonorable mentions: Pirate Queen, Pretty Woman, The Last Ship, Frank Wildhorn’s Dracula. And, yes, Great Gatsby. 

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio
 May 17 2024, 09:47:36 AM

I had no issue with the sound quality and LOVE the into the woods cast recording - you can hear so much texture in both the orchestrations and the vocal performances.

City Centers 24-25: Ragtime, Urinetown, LaChiusa's Wild Party, Love Life
 May 14 2024, 12:54:54 PM

Every year I wait for this announcement hoping to see LaChiusa's Wild Party and was worried that their summer staging of the Lippa version ruined that chance.  I literally just jumped out of my chair.  I can't wait to see how they cast this!

The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
 Apr 29 2024, 08:15:43 PM

muscle23ftl said: "Now voters don't even need to see all the shows nominated."

Which has not even been verified by any official source as of yet…

Ridiculous reporting from BroadwayWorld. 

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24
 Apr 29 2024, 01:03:12 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "kidmanboy said: "Given only Suffs' new elements were eligible, I take their slate of nominations as a huge accomplishment. It would seem they pretty much got in everywhere they could. I'm curious what the ruling was for text eligibility since music was nominated. Wonder if it was also eligible in book and lyrics."

I looked up last year's Drama Desk nominations, andSuffswasn't nominated for anything

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24
 Apr 29 2024, 12:38:32 PM

Given only Suffs' new elements were eligible, I take their slate of nominations as a huge accomplishment.  It would seem they pretty much got in everywhere they could.  I'm curious what the ruling was for text eligibility since music was nominated.  Wonder if it was also eligible in book and lyrics. 

Happy to see The Outsiders nominations - especially direction and choreography.

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
 Apr 26 2024, 11:36:43 AM

QueenAlice said: "I appreciate that so many here are speaking from the heart of artists and academics, but truly - credit must be given where credit is due-- an if you think like a producer, you can see the greatness about what they have done here. The people behind this show have taken a public domain novel everyone reads (but most don't really remember) and have fixated on the two things the story conjures in most people's minds: the time period and the opulence. They have

Apr 26 2024, 10:33:04 AM

BWNUT said: "Most of thesecritics agree this show is glitzy and FUN. SometimesGlitz and Fun is all you want and need for an enjoyable night at the theater.I’m buying a ticket."

I didn't find it fun.  The changes to the plot and intent of the novel made the story a bit meaningless and most of the songs didn't really drive any action as much as repeat a sentiment for 4 minutes.  Fireworks (literally) and sequins weren't enough to keep me ent

Apr 25 2024, 06:48:37 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "I went to the matinee today and noticed Jeremy seems to be doing an accent now? But not a consistent one and it’s kind of odd. British one minute, then something else then nothing. I don’t think I’d ever noticed him doing anything like that before in the show."

They ADDED that!? I was shocked that it hadn’t been cut in previews - I’m even more shocked that it was a deliberate addition! 
All of the actors

THE GREAT GATSBY Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
 Apr 24 2024, 03:47:25 PM

It's funny how personal taste works, because despite being well performed, the songs in this show had no staying power with me (some of the lyrics made me especially cringe) and I found the choreography awkward and not terribly impactful. I would actually tend to use the same description for the show as a whole. 

2024 Outer Critics Circle Nominations & Awards
 Apr 24 2024, 09:13:46 AM

My biggest takeaway is the lack of Hell's Kitchen in major categories.  The reviews had me thinking it may be the frontrunner for Best Musical, but now I'm back to thinking it's a two-way race between Suffs and Illinoise - or at best a three-way race.  It's such an odd year!

HELL'S KITCHEN Previews
 Apr 19 2024, 06:09:24 PM

Does the Broadway production still end have visuals of current day Lower Manhattan (one WTC, etc) during Empire Stare of Mind? That seemed like a glaring error in a show that takes place one the 90s - or was it trying to tell us the story is over and this is now just a bunch of folks singing on the stage of the Shubert in 2024?

THE GREAT GATSBY Broadway Previews
 Apr 18 2024, 01:06:37 PM

It’s not just that the show misunderstands the book. It’s that the story as told really had no reason for being once it’s devoid of that meaning. 
Also, the show really didn’t work for me as spectacle. It looks expensive, yes, but the choreography (both in dance and just in movement around the stage) and stage pictures seemed clunky and added nothing to the storytelling. 

THE GREAT GATSBY Broadway Previews
 Apr 17 2024, 11:18:57 PM

Just left the show this evening and the whole affair felt entirely rudderless. The actors felt like they were all in different shows and, while the scenic design was relatively fabulous, the staging and choreography really didn’t do anything to assist the storytelling. (Neither did the score for that matter). I’m rather shocked that this transferred from Paper Mill. 

SUFFS Previews
 Apr 14 2024, 09:02:27 AM

I also want to add that I took my 7 year old daughter and 10 year old son and they loved it and, shockingly, had very little trouble following the plot. 

SUFFS Previews
 Apr 14 2024, 08:25:48 AM

I’m just about as baffled at the mixed reception for this show as I am at the current political landscape in this country. 
Shaina and team really put in the work since the Public. It was smart to get rid of the two act openers where all of the cast play men. Perhaps this is a good part of the reason why all of the actress really live and breathe their characters. 
I found Hannah Cruz exponentially more magnetic than Philippa Soo. Emily Skinner brought flare to her s

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You