News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for kidmanboy

kidmanboy Profile Photo
Member Name: kidmanboy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.  Apr 29 2024, 08:15:43 PM

muscle23ftl said: "Now voters don't even need to see all the shows nominated."

Which has not even been verified by any official source as of yet…

Ridiculous reporting from BroadwayWorld. 

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 01:03:12 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "kidmanboy said: "Given only Suffs' new elements were eligible, I take their slate of nominations as a huge accomplishment. It would seem they pretty much got in everywhere they could. I'm curious what the ruling was for text eligibility since music was nominated. Wonder if it was also eligible in book and lyrics."

I looked up last year's Drama Desk nominations, andSuffswasn't nominated for anything

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 12:38:32 PM

Given only Suffs' new elements were eligible, I take their slate of nominations as a huge accomplishment.  It would seem they pretty much got in everywhere they could.  I'm curious what the ruling was for text eligibility since music was nominated.  Wonder if it was also eligible in book and lyrics. 

Happy to see The Outsiders nominations - especially direction and choreography.

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 11:36:43 AM

QueenAlice said: "I appreciate that so many here are speaking from the heart of artists and academics, but truly - credit must be given where credit is due-- an if you think like a producer, you can see the greatness about what they have done here. The people behind this show have taken a public domain novel everyone reads (but most don't really remember) and have fixated on the two things the story conjures in most people's minds: the time period and the opulence. They have

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 10:33:04 AM

BWNUT said: "Most of thesecritics agree this show is glitzy and FUN. SometimesGlitz and Fun is all you want and need for an enjoyable night at the theater.I’m buying a ticket."

I didn't find it fun.  The changes to the plot and intent of the novel made the story a bit meaningless and most of the songs didn't really drive any action as much as repeat a sentiment for 4 minutes.  Fireworks (literally) and sequins weren't enough to keep me ent

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 25 2024, 06:48:37 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "I went to the matinee today and noticed Jeremy seems to be doing an accent now? But not a consistent one and it’s kind of odd. British one minute, then something else then nothing. I don’t think I’d ever noticed him doing anything like that before in the show."

They ADDED that!? I was shocked that it hadn’t been cut in previews - I’m even more shocked that it was a deliberate addition! 
All of the actors

THE GREAT GATSBY Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread  Apr 24 2024, 03:47:25 PM

It's funny how personal taste works, because despite being well performed, the songs in this show had no staying power with me (some of the lyrics made me especially cringe) and I found the choreography awkward and not terribly impactful. I would actually tend to use the same description for the show as a whole. 

2024 Outer Critics Circle Nominations & Awards  Apr 24 2024, 09:13:46 AM

My biggest takeaway is the lack of Hell's Kitchen in major categories.  The reviews had me thinking it may be the frontrunner for Best Musical, but now I'm back to thinking it's a two-way race between Suffs and Illinoise - or at best a three-way race.  It's such an odd year!

HELL'S KITCHEN Previews  Apr 19 2024, 06:09:24 PM

Does the Broadway production still end have visuals of current day Lower Manhattan (one WTC, etc) during Empire Stare of Mind? That seemed like a glaring error in a show that takes place one the 90s - or was it trying to tell us the story is over and this is now just a bunch of folks singing on the stage of the Shubert in 2024?

THE GREAT GATSBY Broadway Previews  Apr 18 2024, 01:06:37 PM

It’s not just that the show misunderstands the book. It’s that the story as told really had no reason for being once it’s devoid of that meaning. 
Also, the show really didn’t work for me as spectacle. It looks expensive, yes, but the choreography (both in dance and just in movement around the stage) and stage pictures seemed clunky and added nothing to the storytelling. 

THE GREAT GATSBY Broadway Previews  Apr 17 2024, 11:18:57 PM

Just left the show this evening and the whole affair felt entirely rudderless. The actors felt like they were all in different shows and, while the scenic design was relatively fabulous, the staging and choreography really didn’t do anything to assist the storytelling. (Neither did the score for that matter). I’m rather shocked that this transferred from Paper Mill. 

SUFFS Previews  Apr 14 2024, 09:02:27 AM

I also want to add that I took my 7 year old daughter and 10 year old son and they loved it and, shockingly, had very little trouble following the plot. 

SUFFS Previews  Apr 14 2024, 08:25:48 AM

I’m just about as baffled at the mixed reception for this show as I am at the current political landscape in this country. 
Shaina and team really put in the work since the Public. It was smart to get rid of the two act openers where all of the cast play men. Perhaps this is a good part of the reason why all of the actress really live and breathe their characters. 
I found Hannah Cruz exponentially more magnetic than Philippa Soo. Emily Skinner brought flare to her s

SUFFS Previews  Mar 27 2024, 12:51:03 PM

When I attended a performance of The Notebook mid-way through previews, the young lady behind me sang along with every song.  I have no clue how she knew the music so well so early into the run.  it was horribly distracting.

JRB's THE CONNECTOR at MCC will star Scott Bakula, Jessica Molaskey, Ben Levi Ross, & more  Feb 10 2024, 07:11:54 PM

I’m shocked that both Isherwood and Jesse Green point out the Wailing Wall song as a moment that doesn’t work. To me, it is when the themes of the piece and the plot really converged and was the most thrilling musical moment of the show. Green also mentioned the show being void of psychology - which I couldn’t disagree with more. 
Saw it this afternoon and loved it. It’s a piece that rewards patience. I found myself walking out of the theater connecting all o

How to Fix the Broadway Model  Jan 17 2024, 04:32:56 PM

RWPrincess said: "One of the best things that can help get more suburban folks in is to fix the LIRR schedule. Opening the $11B Grand Central Terminal last year basically cut service to Penn Station in half instead of adding Grand Central as incremental service, If they reroute trains after 8pm from Grand Central to Penn, that will give riders multiple options per hour to get home after a show. The same thing needs to happen on weekends. They also need to dispatch longer trains, espe

The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage  Jan 12 2024, 07:56:34 AM

Saw this last night and, while the production is lovely to look at and well performed, I struggled to get anything out of the music or story (despite a passing familiarity with some if the songs). The show seemed to broad and allegorical (none of the characters have names) to be a personal and introspective story, but it also didn’t succeed for me in creating an allegory. So with only two or three real events happening in the story, it ended up being a very slow 90 minutes. The songs al

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Nov 18 2023, 09:28:06 AM

Is it apologizing for the material? Or making a point that the themes of the story are still relevant?  I haven't seen the production but I can assume from things I've read that it's aiming for the latter.

Sondheim's Final Musical: HERE WE ARE (Off-Broadway) - Critics' Reviews  Oct 23 2023, 09:08:50 AM

Reading the Vulture review made me love the show even more.  Also glad I didn't read the review before seeing the show, because it gives away A LOT.  

Especially in their thoughts about the ending.  I see intent where they see hesitancy and contradiction.  Spoiler ahead:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The Vulture re

HERE LIES LOVE Reviews  Oct 13 2023, 08:36:07 PM

jsg03jd said: "

It was obscene to see Filipinos cheering on and dancing to HLL’s nonsense. And you raised a good point about HLL not even trying to address American complicity in enabling the Marcoses’ corruption and ability to inflict irreparable harm (the U.S. protected its own interests and treated Marcoses’ victims as collateral damage by, among other things, keeping its foothold in the region as part of its war against communism by maintaining its th

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You