pixeltracker

My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!- Page 3

My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#50re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/27/08 at 11:55am

I just saw the movie, so I don't know if this has mentioned on the boards... but in the stage version, doesn't Colin Firth's (gay) character mention having a "better half" (ie. a gay partner). But in the movie it seems like he's single and lusting after men half his age. What's with that?

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#51re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/27/08 at 12:05pm

I went expecting fluff and fantasy and I got exactly what I paid for. I can get that people didn't like it, but if they didn't like it because they were expecting that Meryl Streep's presence was going to elevate it to the level of Ibsen or something pretty confound me.

I DID the direction was pretty drecky, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment. Neither did the fact that someone should have reigned in Meryl's wig and ordered a retake for "The Winner Takes It All."

justafan2
#52re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/28/08 at 10:21am

Yankee---great review! I enjoyed it so much, even tho', as I was watching, I was thinking----"this really isn't a good movie---but I'm having so much fun seeing it"
I missed "Thank-you for the music"--it's one of my favorite songs----they had it sung solo during the credits, but I liked the stage version better. I also wanted more of "Our last summer", but other than that----really, really enjoyable.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#53re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:00am

There are a lot of funny comments here, but I'll just pick out one because it's so passionate in saying the same thing several are saying:

"This film is practically a test of camp levels: if you can stand it, you have a high tolerance for camp, and good for you."

My only question is -- have you never heard of Mama Mia? Have you never heard of ABBA? Have you never seen the stage show? Have you never heard anything about it? Anyone going to Mama Mia and being turned off by the fact that it is camp and you need a high tolerance (or even appreciation -gasp) for camp, must have been living under a rock for the last 15 years or so. What on earth should the movie be if NOT a high level of camp.

Sorry, I just found that observation to be hysterically funny. Like someone going to a football game and saying "I can't believe it. Anyone going must have to LIKE sports." Duh?

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#54re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:17am

Thanks for the great review, Yankee!

I truly hated the movie the first time I saw it on opening weekend. I mean, deep hatred. I kind of wanted to walk out...and I have only walked on two movies in my life. Now, I saw it again last Friday with a friend who I promised I would see it with anyhow and loved it. I think I was better prepared for the camp factor the second time around, which all in all is silly because I have no idea what I was expecting the first time around. I have seen the stage version 3 times, so I have no idea why I was so shaken by the high camp in the movie. Oh well...it was definitely a good time upon second viewing and I am looking forward to seeing it again on Thursday. A friend of a friend rented out a theater for a private showing/cocktails/costume party...should be a hot mess of fun!

Timmer
#55re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:43am

The movie is far from great art, but it was fun. Other than Brosnan's attempt to sing (and he's better singing with Meryl Streep than his solo turns), it was't bad.

Is Christine Baranski having fun or what?

And I thought Amanda Seyfried was excellent as Sophie.

I enjoyed it. I didn't expect anything more from it.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#56re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/28/08 at 11:47am

From the EW review: "I never thought I'd see a film in which blowsy Christine Baranski is the most restrained person on screen."

That really made me laugh...and it is ever so true!

brandontwin2 Profile Photo
brandontwin2
#57re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/28/08 at 12:25pm

I should probably know this, but what do you all mean by "camp"? Sorry!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#58re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/28/08 at 1:49pm

Saw the film yesterday and loved it. It was a lot of fun. As far as Pierce Brosnan is concerned, he wasn't great on SOS (sounded a bit like he was out of his range), but his song in the church was much better.

LOVED that bit at the end!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#59re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 7/28/08 at 1:49pm

OK, since I got a double post by accident, here is the answer to the question about the definition of "camp":

"something that provides sophisticated, knowing amusement, as by virtue of its being artlessly mannered or stylized, self-consciously artificial and extravagant, or teasingly ingenuous and sentimental." Updated On: 7/28/08 at 01:49 PM

sunsetflyer
#60re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 8/4/08 at 9:46pm

I just saw the movie today. I have not seen the stage production, although I wanted to but never got the chance. It is what it is. It is an entertaining, feel good, fun show for the actors as well as the audience. I can see the stage show being that as well. I thought the insertion of Amanda Seyfried singing the song "Thank you for the Music" in the ending titles was a great idea. It showed that she does have a good voice. I like the idea of just singing with the piano like the track that is on "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" cast album with Sherie Rene Scott doing "Nothing is Too Wonderful to be True." That is what I was reminded of.

sunsetflyer
#61re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 8/4/08 at 9:46pm

I just saw the movie today. I have not seen the stage production, although I wanted to but never got the chance. It is what it is. It is an entertaining, feel good, fun show for the actors as well as the audience. I can see the stage show being that as well. I thought the insertion of Amanda Seyfried singing the song "Thank you for the Music" in the ending titles was a great idea. It showed that she does have a good voice. I like the idea of just singing with the piano like the track that is on "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" cast album with Sherie Rene Scott doing "Nothing is Too Wonderful to be True." That is what I was reminded of.

BWNUT
#62re: My thoughts on MAMMA MIA!
Posted: 8/5/08 at 6:53pm

The music is the only good thing about this movie. Everything else: acting, photography, editing, production design, screenplay, direction, choreography even makeup is bad. In other words, the people who made it were not even trying because they knew people like you and me will pay to see such dreck just because it's MAMA MIA! What are those that are born every minute, again?

Updated On: 8/5/08 at 06:53 PM

Videos