Saw N2N last night...

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#50re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 11:35am

^You have to keep in mind that they did make changes to the show, but if you didn't like the score, then you didn't, and I respect that.

And I love Alice's voice but what is up with that accent (for lack of better a term)she has when she sings, it didn't seem to be there during her side show days

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 12:17pm

" will admit that the music gave me a raging headache so I really should have left. "

- I hate to break it to you, but the "Angry Dance" is louder than ANYTHING in N2N.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#52re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 12:32pm

I hate to break it to you but I saw both. Angry dance is one number in BE. N2N starts yelling and never stops. It is nothing but a headache from beginning to end. It didn't have to always be loud (although it usually was) it was just so incredibly irritating.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#53re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 12:39pm

"N2N starts yelling and never stops"

Being that 'Next to Normal' is a show about one woman's struggle with mental issue and its effects on her family, I would expect the show to have a vast amount of yelling. Yelling and shouting comes with the territory. Also, the majority of the score is rock influenced.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#54re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 1:02pm

But even in the battle with mental illness, there are quiet times. Quiet times are very important to theatre, they give the emotional louder moments more meaning. Next to Normal started with a bang and continued yelling the entire show. After a while I stopped listening and prayed for it to end. Even Ripley's crazy ass speech at least started out low and worked itself into a screamfest!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#55re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 1:04pm

I hope neither of you saw last year's GYPSY. You obviously cannot deal with any show that has yelling, and GYPSY had a lot. Updated On: 6/16/09 at 01:04 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#56re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 1:09pm

I did see Gypsy and enjoyed it. Yes there was a lot of yelling, but it was interspersed with quieter moments and not all the songs sounded exactly the same.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#57re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:33pm

The only thing that's obvious, ljay, is that you are one of those people who believes that only people who agree with them can possibly have valid input. So much for respecting the tastes and opinions of others.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Craww
#58re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 5:46pm

The only thing that's obvious, ljay, is that you are one of those people who believes that only people who agree with them can possibly have valid input. So much for respecting the tastes and opinions of others.

That's silly. I do believe that's just called a counter argument. If you want to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of a show on this site you shouldn't be surprised if people summon reasons to actively disagree with you.

The point being, N2N isn't a nonstop screamfest with zero rise and fall. That is an objective fact. If you felt like it was that's just a symptom of you disliking the show and the score. If other shows you liked were shouty that just means N2N shouted at you in a way you found entirely unenjoyable.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#59re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 5:48pm

Act 2 is actually very quiet, after Wish I Were Here.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#60re: Saw N2N last night...
Posted: 6/16/09 at 5:52pm

I personally did not like Next to Normal, however I do see how it could be very appealing to some people.
As adamgreer just mentioned, act two is quiet, and that seriously got to me. It was just one ballad after the other, and although it progressed the plot, and they are necessary, I almost began nodding off as I wasn't totally captivated by the plot. Mainly because I was expecting something a lot more amazing based on what people had been raving about for over a year.

Videos