pixeltracker

GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!- Page 4

GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#75GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 11:32am

evic said: "4 months advance notice of closing????? I assume they are expecting people to rush to get tickets....I didn't care for it and thought the reviews were wayyyy over the top in their praise...i always thought it was because it was British themed and we all know how the critics just love anything British.  I still defy anyone to hum or sing one of the songs.

Yes, because "The Woman in White"  and "Finding Neverland" got raves......

People say the same thing about the "hummable tunes" with Sondheim shows. Look - sometimes, a musical is not about being able to "hum" every song. it's about telling a story through music and text. Some musicals are better when listened to through your headphones and others jump to life when seen on stage being performed. 

I enjoyed the show immensely when I saw it, and walked out not humming a damn tune, but a had a huge smile on my face, nonetheless. 

"

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#76GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 11:32am

Two years is a great run for what was always quite a niche product. It's asking a lot to expect it to outsell Aladdin or Beautiful.  

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#77GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:02pm

It's advisable to remember, everyone - just because you can't hum it, that doesn't make it universally "unhummable."

I'd be happy to hum "Sibella," "I've Decided To Marry You," and "Why Are All The D'Ysquiths Dying?" right now. I think I will.

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#78GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:05pm

I'm sad to see this show go - it was creative and clever, something many new Broadway shows are lacking. It definitely didn't have mass appeal, no matter how good it was; that definitely hurt the show. 

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Dollypop
#79GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:07pm

"what show could take over the Walter Kerr? Tuck? American phsyco?"

The Kerr is a small, intimate house.  It would be an excellent place for MY PARIS--if they could turn the space into a cabaret-type environment.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Different Drum
#80GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:27pm

Loved this show. Gentleman's Guide will have a long and successful life beyond Broadway. This is a true success story however we measure it.

rjm516
#81GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:32pm

Jefferson Mays's performance was one for the ages. Just stupid fantastic. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#82GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:43pm

I'm really sorry to see this go. I saw it twice early in the run and loved it. Such terrific performances from everyone in the cast. Bravo to the producers for keeping it running this long.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#83GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:50pm

Newintown, I would add "Foolish To Think" and "Inside Out" to your list!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#84GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 1:02pm

eperkins said: "Newintown, I would add "Foolish To Think" and "Inside Out" to your list!

Also "Better With a Man!"

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

wcoyote
#85GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 3:01pm

Broadwaystar2 said: "And after seeing Spring Awakening tonight. The stage might be too small. And some floor elements woukd need to be built in. But I'm not sure the space is adequate. 

The Brooks and the O'Neill are sister theaters.  Designed by the same person.  Practically the same dimensions. Spring Awakening did fine at the O'Neill for two years.

asmith0307
#86GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 3:22pm

wcoyote said: "Broadwaystar2 said: "And after seeing Spring Awakening tonight. The stage might be too small. And some floor elements woukd need to be built in. But I'm not sure the space is adequate. 

The Brooks and the O'Neill are sister theaters.  Designed by the same person.  Practically the same dimensions. Spring Awakening did fine at the O'Neill for two years.

"

Yes, but we are talking about the Kerr. Plus, the revival of Spring Awakening is pretty different than the original from what I have heard.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#87GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 3:38pm

A glorified theme park show and a jukebox musical with the dramatic intensity of a Love Boat episode are going to outrun one of the best shows on Broadway. Yep, that sounds like the Broadway of today.

What do you mean "today"?  Did you just emerge from your time machine?

The show won Best Musical and recouped, but that still isn't good enough.  It still has to outrun whatever the academics deem inferior for some reason.  Because Broadway is supposed to be something other than what it actually is.  Or musicals are supposed to be very specifically constructed within exclusive parameters to please a teeny tiny small-minded minority.  Or something.  Aladdin and Beautiful may run longer than Gentleman's Guide, but so have many many MANY other shows.  Gentleman's Guide ran longer than any production of Follies.  That's Broadway.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

wcoyote
#88GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/9/15 at 7:32pm

"

Updated On: 9/9/15 at 07:32 PM

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#89GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/10/15 at 10:19am

Haters gonna hate, whatever.

Going once more to see the show before it leaves Broadway. This will be my third time. Everyone I've taken or recommended the show to has really liked it. And for what it's worth, It's Better With A Man and I Don't Understand The Poor are quite hummable. 

For those in the know, we are going to a Saturday matinee on Oct 17. Do you know if Jeff or Bryce have planned to be out for that date? Are either sick or generally calling out on Sat matinees? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCvmdEPReE

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#90GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/10/15 at 2:49pm

It had such a great run, and this "little show that could" boasted everything from originality to a recouped investment. You really couldn't ask for more. Like many others, it was their Tony performance that sold me, and I feel blessed to have seen Jefferson Mays in a performance for the ages. I hope he is quickly hired for something new and awesome.

My favorite numbers were "Lady Hyacinth Abroad" and of course, "I've Decided to Marry You."

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Hairspray0901
#91GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/10/15 at 3:24pm

I won the digital lottery yesterday and was so glad I did!!!! I haven't seen the show since July '14 and had forgotten just how funny it was! Bryce Pinkham and Jefferson Mays are just amazing! I'm still upset over the fact that Mays didn't win last year! Grr. lol! But anyway...loved Catherine Walker as Phoebe - saw her once last year as she was on for Worsham and actually prefer her. The current Sibella wasn't as funny to me as Lisa O'Hare, but she sounded wonderful! Very sad to see it close, but, definitely saw an announcement coming. The way they announced it on Facebook was pretty hilarious. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#92GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/11/15 at 2:41pm

Guess it is another example of winning the Tony for "Best Musical" does not guarantee a long run. 

Videos