FALSETTOS Previews

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#75FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 10:57am

All of the following has been cut from Trina's opening portion of Please Come to My House:

Please come to our house and talk of it to Jason

It's a slight exaggeration, but he's sick in the head

Oh sure, sometimes you'll think he's wonderful, but he's wild

I'm sure he's Marvin's child!

Yes we'll have dinner here, please just we'll act like nothing's wrong

God bless! This rotten family will see if you two get along.

If not I've got some rope right here

And Trina will be hanging from a chandelier.

It comes back in with Jason's line, "What should I say to the man? Should I be mean to the man?"

It's a painful cut because I love the lyrics and melody. It also shows just how on the edge Trina is and how many of Marvin's neuroses have seeped into her life.

Jay, I can't wait to hear what you think of this revival.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#76FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 11:01am

I thought so- I think I repressed the fact it had been cut. I love that short section and have often gone back and listened to just that part over and over.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#77FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 11:02am

Has Finn had another nervous breakdown? Those cuts sound simply awful.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#78FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 11:05am

I think he's just unable to let things be finished; I suspect, though, that Lapine doesn't help in that regard, either.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

WhizzerMarvin
#79FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 11:13am

There have also sadly been big cuts during The Chess Game.

The whole section of

Oh god, you're pretty

Where's the pity, since you need a man

What?

Who's brainy

or witty (move!)

Maybe sometimes I'm afraid the maid is more your style

He isn't very bright

He goes to school at night!

He's learning-

English Lit!

He's learning how to speak the language...

And so forth. That whole middle section is gone.

I think Finn is a tinkerer and with this piece he doesn't have to be. It's wonderful as is!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#80FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 11:50am

icecreambenjamin said: "How is the orchestra?  Is it largely synth or more of a band like the original off broadway production of March of the Falsettos?

"

It's been more than three decades, so perhaps I'm wrong, but I didn't think the original MARCH had much in the pit. A number of instruments were added for the recording.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#81FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 12:08pm

Williams was still rewriting STREETCAR when he died. Whatcha gonna do?

Oddly, "Act I" held up just fine when it was performed by itself. And since it remains one of the best hours of staging I have ever seen, I figure Lapine will get the staging right on this production, too. Sounds like he's doing something challenging.

Pure speculation: perhaps "hanging from a chandelier" feels redundant to Finn now that Trina sings "Breaking Down" in Act I.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#82FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 12:26pm

<Happy for her.  Thanks for the reviews everyone.

Stephanatic

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#83FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 12:47pm

I'm very excited for this. I ordered front row tickets. Will they be ok? How high is the stage?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

South Florida
#84FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 1:55pm

"Ms. Block was the only one who seemed to be trying or who at least had confidence in the material." theatregoer3

"Stephanie J. Block and Brandon Uranowitz are amazing" TerrencelstheMann

"I thought Stephanie J Block started off a little unsure of herself, but when she got to "I'm Breaking Down" she actually did bring the house down and all of a sudden it seemed like she took a deep breath, relaxed and became Trina."  WhizzerMarvin

"The highlights for me were Stephanie Block (she really did bring down the house for her Breaking Down song) and Brandon Uranowitz as the sweetly neurotic Mendel."  Shanphelia

"Stephanie stopped the show with 'Breaking Down'."  WiCkEDrOcKS

"I didn't know too much about the show going in.  Didn't feel strongly about Stephanie before this but now a fan myself."  disneyschildren

Stephanatic

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#85FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 2:03pm

Thanks Stephanie's press agent. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

South Florida
#86FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 2:09pm

I wanna be Sebastian, screw being her agent.

Stephanatic

FiddleMeThis
#87FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 2:56pm

That section of CHESS GAME is always cut- it's not in the official script any longer. There are quite a few variations between the original recording and the published script. This cut isn't new, although some of the ones mentioned here are new.

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#88FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 6:45pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I'm very excited for this. I ordered front row tickets. Will they be ok? How high is the stage?

I was in 4th row and the view was fine. I walked up to the front at intermission and there was plenty of space between seats and the stage so I think you will be fine. How did you get  a front row seat? I love sitting close and trying to find one to go see it again.

"

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#89FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 11:01pm

GavestonPS said: "Williams was still rewriting STREETCAR when he died. Whatcha gonna do?

"

DId he?  I certainly wasn't aware of that...  CAT on the other hand...

LightsOut90
#90FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 9/30/16 at 11:10pm

merch report anyone?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#91FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/1/16 at 9:44am

aw that bit about Trina hanging from the chandelier is one of my favorite lines in the whole show, i'm sad it's gone.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#92FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/1/16 at 12:14pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "All of the following has been cut from Trina's opening portion of Please Come to My House:

Please come to our house and talk of it to Jason

It's a slight exaggeration, but he's sick in the head

Oh sure, sometimes you'll think he's wonderful, but he's wild

I'm sure he's Marvin's child!

Yes we'll have dinner here, please just we'll act like nothing's wrong

God bless! This rotten family will see if you two get along.

If not I've got some rope right here

And Trina will be hanging from a chandelier.

It comes back in with Jason's line, "What should I say to the man? Should I be mean to the man?"

It's a painful cut because I love the lyrics and melody. It also shows just how on the edge Trina is and how many of Marvin's neuroses have seeped into her life.

Jay, I can't wait to hear what you think of this revival.

"

This was back in last night! 

I went in with limited knowledge of the material, and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to go again. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

WhizzerMarvin
#93FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/1/16 at 12:35pm

It was back in??? Oh that's so exciting! 

I can't get back to this production quickly enough ha. 

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#94FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/1/16 at 12:36pm

Thanks, Whizzer, going on the 21st, can't wait! 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#95FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/1/16 at 1:00pm

Some more concrete thoughts (I'm typing from my phone so please forgive me if it's a little messy): 

Whizzer, it's interesting to me that you mention the show potentially being a memory playbof Jason's. That was my first thought as the blocks reminded me of children's wooden blocks. 

I will agree that SJB seemed a little unsure at first, but she quickly relaxed and became one of my favorite performances of the evening. "I'm Breaking Down" had the audience in stitches. I hope she's remembered at Tony time. 

I wasn't entirely sold on Rannells as Whizzer until act two. There were points in the first act where I found him very irritating. That being said, his "You Got To Die Sometime" was everything it needed to be. I ended up being very impressed with his performance. 

A standout for me was Brandon Uranowitz. I absolutely adored his performance in American in Paris, but he really shines here as Mendel. He's funny, warm, and delightfully awkward. His chemistry with the rest of the cast is wonderful. 

Borle was fine. He nails "Father to Son" and "What Would I Do," but I had no strong feelings about him either way for most of it. Betsy Wolfe and Tracie Thoms nail their roles, despite having less to work with. 

Overall, I loved it, and I can't wait to go back! 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#96FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/1/16 at 7:01pm

They left and gave the reasons why they did. It's just as valid as someone coming here after the show and saying they loved it- and certainly as valid as the common intermission reports.

Completely agree.  If you dislike a production enough to leave at intermission, it only makes sense to explain why.  We all report on what we see.  I think for anyone to say one has "no right" to "review" a show they walked out on, then none of us have any "right" to post it opinions on what we've seen, positive or negative, on its entirety or not.

I really hope Finn reinstates the original lyrics.  I hated the changes I heard in the new recording of A New Brain with a passion.  I doubt I'll ever listen to it again with the exception of the songs that has been previously unrecorded.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#97FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/1/16 at 11:56pm

I caught this tonight... I honestly don't even know where to begin, so I will start off by saying that what's happening at the Walter Kerr right now is pure magic. This was my first experience with Falsettos, and I was swept away.

The direction is so focused and clear. There are no bells and whistles with the scenery or costumes. The magic is all in the performances that the brilliant cast of seven are delivering. Not one weak link in the cast in my book. I could go into each performance individually, but it would be me repeating the same thing over and over again about each actor and how great they are.

I was completely sold on the set design, but I can see how the design will be divisive with audience members. As others have mentioned, the set consists of one giant cube at the beginning of the show that is taken apart throughout the evening and to create the various locations in the show.

I don't really know what else to say about this one except that this is an absolute must see. This is one of those shows that reminds me how lucky I am to live here and experience the magic of Broadway.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

fenwic Profile Photo
fenwic
#98FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/2/16 at 6:55pm

LightsOut90 said: "merch report anyone?"

I saw the show Saturday night and everything currently on the website (http://shoplct.com/falsettos/) was available except I don't think the window card was out, yet, and I don't recall seeing the vocal selections book. 

Fyi, the heart keychain is a puffy stressball.  Also, in the show, Christian and Betsy have completely different hair than they do on the merch, and Anthony doesn't wear glasses.

Updated On: 10/2/16 at 06:55 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#99FALSETTOS Previews
Posted: 10/2/16 at 7:13pm

Do you that there's a chance for an extension through to the end of January?

Videos