pixeltracker

"The Great Comet" Broadway Cast Recording- Page 4

"The Great Comet" Broadway Cast Recording

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#75Great Comet recording
Posted: 5/22/17 at 10:39pm

eh. still wish i could just splice Phillipa into this new recording. idk how anyone could think she was overdoing it on that recording.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#76Great Comet recording
Posted: 5/23/17 at 5:04am

Dave Malloy has added some further notes on Genius about some of the score changes, for those interested: https://genius.com/artists/Dave-malloy .

#77Great Comet recording
Posted: 5/23/17 at 8:20am

I downloaded it from Amazon and the MP3 tags seem to be messed up. It keeps playing out of order. I'll have to edit them when I get a chance.

Nicole 10 said: "I like the new recording overall, but I find the intensity of the background from the off broadway recording to be way better. I feel like they have softened the instrumentals

You've really articulated a difference in the two recordings that I've been struggling to identify. I'm not sure which version I think is "better" but there's certainly a difference. On the plus side, there are parts of the OBC where I am hearing nuance I missed before. On the down side, there are parts where I miss the intensity.

PaulWom said: "A friendly reminder, though, that we now have TWO recordings, something most shows do not have... We should be celebrating that!

Hear, hear!

Nicole 10
#78Great Comet recording
Posted: 5/23/17 at 12:03pm

PaulWom said:  "Also, if it's too "soft" for you, turn up the volume... "

By soft I meant that the instruments sound kind of muffled and have lost their shine/electricity when you compare the instruments of the old recording, which doesn't really change when I turn up the volume... For the easiest reference, just listen to the beginning of both versions of "Balaga" and compare the intensity. I didn't know that Malloy was a producer though, so I guess it must have been what he wanted! 

My biggest upset was that they turned the accordion and the chamber choir ha's down so much in "A Call To Pierre" 

I do want to say that I love the little changes they made to the end of Charming (except the fact that they got rid of the lingering wine glass sounds right before Denee starts to sing) The chirpy piano bit right before Amber finishes singing is perfect! And I love the strings in the back when Denee starts to sing. In the old recording they were held out but this version is just a quick pull at each phrase that makes it a lot more dramatic. 

PaulWom
#79Great Comet recording
Posted: 5/23/17 at 12:08pm

Just saw this- very cool! The Comet Orchestra discusses their favorite parts of the score

https://youtu.be/HsuePVuPMTI

https://youtu.be/sURtD3DTYsI

willep
#80Great Comet recording
Posted: 5/26/17 at 10:26am

I love getting to hear the individual musicians play their favorite bits in those videos. I will be upset if Malloy doesn't win best orchestrations.

Videos