pixeltracker

Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs from RENT?- Page 4

Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs from RENT?

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#75re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:45pm

I support Rosario not only because she's Hispanic but also beacuse she has much respect for this project. I honestly think she's given it a good try.

Here are my feelings on the soundtrak I posted a week ago on the "Initial opinions on the Rent soundtrack" thread:

I'm missing silly thing like Daphne's "Ooh whoah, ooh whoah, whoah, ooh yeah..." during "Out Tonight"...
but overall a great soundtrack.

Anthony sounds so much better on this recording than he did on the OBC. There's not so much whine in it, which is a good thing.
Adam sounds older. Smoking definitely had changed the tone and the quality of his voice. He doesn't sound bad just very different from the Adam who recorded this score ten years ago.
Jesse can do no wrong. He could have easily just sang these songs exactly as he did on the OBC and called it a day, but he went the extra mile and approached each song as if it were the first time and gave them all new touches that are amazing.
Tracie Thoms. The girl is amazing.
Idina's OTM is much funnier on the OBC. It wasn't bad on the soundtrack but it didn't really leave any big impression on me either. She's okay.
Taye handles what little he has to sing.
Wilson Jermaine holds his own and has a great voice on him. I love his harmonizing on ICY with Jesse. His TFY is better here than on the OBC.
Rosario - gives it the old college try, but I suspect she's been "tweaked" here and there. Her OT is good but her vocals are sometimes lost in the powerful new rock arrangement. Her vocals are mixed too low on OT. She does a nice LMC. She lacks alot of the pain and heartache "Mimi" should have during Goodbye Love and to be honest with you there were many times listening to this that I really missed Daphne. Maybe when I see the movie I'll feel differently.

...now you tell me, does that sound like I'm playing "favorites"?

you need to get a clue...
and why did you change your response Ghetto?
what's up with that?

Updated On: 10/3/05 at 04:45 PM

#76re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:52pm

Gee, I thought I was blocked.

re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs

I have a clue. You start threads like this to tout this phony then you post some nonsense about not playing favorites.

You're as phony as Rosario.

I've got to go but don't cry, Marquise, I'll be back.

For the rest of you, just remember people, the girl can't sing -- it's Memorex.
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 04:52 PM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#77re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:54pm

Bitch you're getting blocked. I was doing more important things.
And you don't know me to call me a phony. And my response was to Ghetto not you @sswipe.
And this thread was'n created to tout one over the other. It was created to start a discussion. You turned it into a bitch fest.
Updated On: 10/3/05 at 04:54 PM

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#78re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:56pm

I am glad to hear that Jaime was good! She olny auditioned for the role for 4 years. She got a her first call back for the role when she was 17, i think. She was SUCH a talented kid. I knew she was too big for the small town we grew up in. We did a lot of community theatre together. Thanks for the feedback.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#79re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:58pm

Whether or not she can sing live is moot, and it's getting old. She sounds passable, decent, fine on the soundtrack, so just let it lie. Get yourself all twisted up when she gets the role on Broadway.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

#80re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:58pm

Yeah, I know. I'm being blocked. I knew you were FOS.

Marquise is REALLY going to block me this time. I guess I'll have to slit my wrists now.

Bwahaha.

Please, Marquise, whatever you do, please, don't block me. I'll do anything. Well, almost anything -- anything except pretend that Rosario Dawson can sing.

#81re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:59pm

Get yourself all twisted up when she gets the role on Broadway.

The girl wouldn't dare.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#82re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 5:02pm

So then you've nothing about which to worry.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

#83re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 5:05pm

So then you've nothing about which to worry.

I'm not the one who would have to be worried.

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#84re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 6:46pm

slacker give it a rest already. You don't have to quote everything people say and have some *witty* comeback for it. You don't like Rosario, we get it, move on with your life.

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

showbiz
#85re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 7:47pm

I don't get this whole thread. Question posed is who do you prefer Daphne or Rosario? Seems there is a problem when anyone posts anything negative about Rosario.
If some are so thin skinned about her then why ask the question?
There are lots of threads with differing opinions, if we all felt the same this board would be pretty dull.

hak Profile Photo
hak
#86re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 8:07pm

DAPHNE!! sure she had some flaws but i believe that made her sound better for the role.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#87re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 8:10pm

I like them both in different ways.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#88re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 8:15pm

Showbiz, I don't mind if people talk badly about Rosario, but Slacker was just beating a dead horse and it was getting old. The same old argument over and over.

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

showbiz
#89re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 8:24pm

If you don't mind then I guess free speech should rule here. We can all agree to disagree, my Mimi may not be your Mimi, there is no reason to take it personally.
On topic again, I prefer Daphne, she is a singer as well as an actor. IMO there is no comparison.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#90re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 9:46pm

showbiz, there's hardly a problem whenever someone posts something negative about Rosario in this thread, that only occurred in the last two pages since slacker (who has complained about Rosario being cast in the movie in countless threads ever since they joined BWW) started spouting off again. Free speech is one thing, but slacker's one-note song got old months ago. And next time, try reading the whole thread before passing judgement on everyone involved, because no one here has attacked every single person that says something negative about Rosario.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#91re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 9:49pm

I purposely didn't answer the question to this thread becaus I ws interested in reading everyone's opinions. It was interesting reading everyone's educated opinions (some who chose to come on here to add their two cents are not included in this group).

Anyway, I would have to say that I prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega as "Mimi", their is a raw, real emotion she brought to the role.

So showbiz, "some" here are not thin-skinned as you claim. I don't mind a difference of opinion in anything. They're like noses, everyone has one. I'm not trying to force anyone here to like Rosario as some have claimed here.

As you can see, she's not my choice. So that point is moot. What I do have a problem with is someone beating a dead horse and someone generally being nasty just to "prove a point" and that got pretty annoying, that's why I got upset, because it was so unneccesary. As KelRel said: We get it. The poster in question doesn't care for Rosario. The poster in question thinks she can't sing. The poster doesn't need to continue to beat a dead horse.

showbiz
#92re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:22pm

Nope, there is definitely some sensitivity on this thread, name calling, profanity, etc. that is obvious, just judging from the snippiness I'm getting. If a question is posed let everyone answer whether you agree or not. This isn't directed to anyone in particular so don't get in a dither.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#93re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:29pm

I don't know what the hell went on in this thread, I haven't read the whole thread. But with this post, I am going to give my opinion on Rosario.

I've definietely been hard on Rosario before this.

But she really isn't bad on the soundtrack. You just can't help but thinking that her vocals sound a little TOO overproduced at times. And sometimes I feel she is singing with no emotion, like she is just singing random lyrics. But on the second disc, the emotion comes out a little more.

It's very obvious she dosen't have the vocal chops/experience/training of the performers she is working with. You will notice the other actors have really versatile voices, and when they hit a note they nail it with all this power, and end it off with the right amount of vibrato - with Rosario you don't get any of that, and at times I'm just saying to myself "Come on Rosario, a little more!!"

But honestly, she isn't bad by any means. Do I think her vocals had studio work done? Yes. Does she give a passable vocal performance? Yes. But is she Daphne? No.

I really have been to hard on her before getting the soundtrack, and I apologize.

Updated On: 10/3/05 at 10:29 PM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#94re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:51pm

ljay. You don't need to apologize. you are entitled to your opinion. I honestly thought that Rosario was going to be better. That's not to say I think she's bad. She's good and I do like some of her touches to songs like WITHOUT YOU and LIGHT MY CANDLE. I just couldn't help but miss Daphne and all the quirks that go along with her because that's what I associated with the character. I thought Rosario was going to come across "rougher", with a little more attitude. I am getting used to her take on the character but I still prefer Daphne.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#95re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:56pm

I definitely see what you're saying, Marquise.

I just felt bad, because I totally pre-judged her performance before listening to the soundtrack.

But I do agree with what you've said regarding her vocals, etc.

#96re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/3/05 at 11:04pm

I prefer Karmine! I honestly can't choose either Daphne or Rosario because I dont' really prefer either.

Videos