THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#75re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/25/05 at 11:05pm

Hey lh8990 ...

the reason we haven't heard from the people that paid $300 and up for their tickets ...

They've committed suicide by ripping their tongues out of their mouths while chopping off their fingers. re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#76re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/26/05 at 1:41pm

lh8990: Critics are not in the business of kissing up to hype. They will say what the feel whether you and I agree with them or not. It will be interesting to see what they say since many people seem to feel the show is dated and they are not able to enjoy it for the period piece it is. Perhaps we have gone beyond the point where we can remember what a simple, good character study is because we, as an audience, are so used to a lot of technology and glitz and action. I don't know.

I will be interested to see what the critics say and while I will be seeing this after opening again and am anxious to see if some of the other actors have come up to speed (if Broderick has settled in and if Garrett is any better), I would say that, regardless of what a critic says, you do in the end have to make up your own mind. I've seen plenty of shows that critics didn't like and shows that got mixed reviews and I have still found them to be good. I've seen others that got raves and hated them...so to each his own.

As for the price of the ticket...that's what it costs to see a Broadway show these days (whether you see a critically slammed show like 'In My Life' or anything else...heck even Mamma Mia is now charging $110 and they have been around forever and are mediocre at best). My advice to anyone considering tickets to a Broadway show is the same as someone who is paying for a Knicks ticket or a ticket to a baseball game: Know what you are seeing and be ready to love, like, feel neutral or hate it on your own terms. But don't say the show isn't "worth the money". It costs the same amount to put a show on the stage whether you like it or not. I've paid for a lot of movies I HATED and while the price is considerably lower...I still felt ripped off, but I was not angry at the producers or actors...I was angry at myself for not researching the movie before I went to figure out if it was for me.

Odd Couple is NOT for everyone but I don't think that is a reason to trash it. We are all entitled to our taste in theater, art and movies, etc. Just because someone else doesn't like it, doesn't mean they get to tell you that you are an idiot for liking it. Not that YOU did, mind you. I'm just saying that isn't a good reason. Opinions are well-tolerated here. And I think yours was well stated. Attacks are not so well-tolerated. I'm glad you chose not to do that.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#77re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/26/05 at 1:57pm

It doesn't really matter what the critics say since it is a limited run and it already recouped it's investment before they ever stepped foot on the stage. Remember, there are no refunds!

lh8990
#78re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/26/05 at 2:27pm

SamIAm,

What you said is very true. I appreciate that others have differing opinions. I am, however, puzzled by the LACK of reports here. I would have expected to see many more reviews on this site at this point. Hopefully, others will see it soon and report back.

The ironic thing about your post is, while Broadway productions are expensive to put on, the producers of this show only recouped the $100 face value of the ticket. The people who have paid $300 and $400 and up are only making the brokers rich. And THAT is a sad reality.

The only other comment I will add about the show, while not totally slamming it, is that if someone were to give me free tickets to go see it again, I would give them away.

Thanks for listening, and I appreciate your constructive post.
~L

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#79re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/26/05 at 2:41pm

Scalpers and ticket agents are scum...that having been said, plenty of people buy tickets from them so they can see the shows they couldn't get tickets to otherwise...so you'd have to ask the people that buy the tickets if their investment was worth it. During the Producers first run, agency tickets were going for $1500 to $2000. It gets to the point where it is ridiculous.

As for more posts on these boards, you should remember that the show has only been open in previews for a little while and of the people going to the show not all of them post here or anywhere for that matter...you will see more posts as time goes on.

I don't know how old you are, but I am a child of the 60s and frankly Simon's writing rings true for me because I remember those more innocent times. I guess that is not true of everyone.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#80re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/26/05 at 8:11pm

We shall all know what the critics have to say this week. It should be interesting indeed.

ProducersFan
#81re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/26/05 at 8:36pm

Actually, they aren't just getting back the $100 value. Tickets were sold at $250 through the AmEx pre-sale and possibly higher. They are getting all of that money back. True, the people who turned around sold them higher are making a tidy profit, but don't feel so bad for the producers. re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW

As for not hearing from people who paid a great deal for tickets, I've already posted my thoughts multiple times. re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

tater686
#82re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/27/05 at 9:38am

Although the show is sold out until April, we've got several pairs left for tonights show (official opening) at $70 and up. Courier available in Manhattan. We bought too many and are now liquidating our inventory. If you want to see the show, this is the time to do it. Prices for tonights show are cheaper than any thus far. http://www.soldouttickets.com

Odd Couple Tickets

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#83re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/27/05 at 11:41am

I am betting a lot of tickets will be available soon.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#84re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/27/05 at 12:06pm

I'm seeing it tonight, so I'll be sure to post my comments.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#85re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/27/05 at 8:07pm

I can't say that I didn't warn you guys. The first "Printed" review is out and now this poor guy is being accused of the same thing I was accused of.

SAM I AM - Get Thee to Acting Class!

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#86re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/27/05 at 11:55pm

I can't say that I didn't warn you all ...

After typing with most of you over the last couple of weeks ... I now know why women don't want to report rape.

I was tried and convicted quicker than the Rosenbergs. The Scenarios you all spun gave new meanings to Wicked and Doubt.

Mediocrity lives on! ... On Broadway. You might want to allow it, but I will not. I will continue to voice my opinion, I will not show favoritism to anyone, I don't care what they did before, what they will do in the future, nor will I attempt to silence a dissenting voice because they dare to speak. Or in this case type. I will call it as I see it. If you don't like it, so be it, but at least see the play before you respond to anyone's review.

Warmest Regards ...

ONEEROS69

Updated On: 10/28/05 at 11:55 PM

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#87re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/28/05 at 1:53am

munkustrap178

Where's your review?

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#88re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/28/05 at 3:12am

Where oh where have all the experts gone?

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#89re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 12:00am

The critics have silenced my critics. I love it.

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#90re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 12:34am

3 posts...in a row.

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#91re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 12:51am

Does that mean I am out. Or do I win?

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#92re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 12:52am

Dear Mr. Rosscoe(au):

The double standards here are quite amazing. When you look at threads that appeared before me that stated "The Odd Couple" was incredible, the performances where funny, outstanding and everyone was laughing, standing ovation at the curtain call, you have to ask yourself who wrote those reviews? I heard no whispering, sniveling, nor snickering about IP Addresses. No question from anyone regarding those reviews? You don't find those "Early Preview" reviews interesting?

I have been extremely misquoted on all of these threads. I was attacked for saying that I found Nathan Lane surprisingly good. Then I detailed why I thought he was good. Apparently 3/4 of the critics agree with that assessment. I then went on to blast Broderick. I didn't sugar coat it and try to be "nice" because I expect an actor to turn in a professional performance. Making a bad choice is one thing. Being off the mark is one thing. Being catatonic is another. My tickets as I have stated were gifts. I reviewed Broderick as if I had paid for those tickets. That would only be fair. Apparently 3/4 of the critics again agreed with my review. Now on to Mr. Simon. We all know he is Genius. This play does not hold up. That is my opinion. Interestingly enough 3/4 of the critics also agreed with that observation.

Now I was attacked for liking Brad Garrett and saying he should take over the Felix Unger part because it would be against type. Ever heard of that statement? Against Type? It works. Try it sometime. There is no reason to get rid of Nathan Lane; he is the main heartbeat of the show. Get rid of the guy who has been taken over by the pod people. Now interestingly enough ... Unanimously the critics have agreed with my take on Brad Garrett.

I would at this time like to thank the hundreds of people that have appreciated the review and have been kind enough to send me your messages, and I can certainly understand after being welcomed so well to BroadwayWorld.com why you would choose to do that in private. I wrote the review in earnest and that it was appreciated is icing on the cake. But it really pisses me off when I am misquoted. For those of you who think the whole review was negative ... I suggest that you go back and re-read what 4300 people have agreed with.

Again Mr. Rosscoe(au) thank you for pointing out the hipocracy here on Broadwayworld.com, however, I do believe you words will fall on catatonic loving ears.

Warmest Regards...

OneEros69

PS I'm sure you all won't mind that I will cut and paste this to my own thread. re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#93re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 12:53am

Win? Are you kidding me? You're acting like a very dim 12 year old child. You don't win - you're an insane hack.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#94re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 1:04am

Win?

Who is this Muskrat?

#95re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 1:05am

Hello Craig -- enough already -- please kill this thread!

Nathan

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#96re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 1:08am

Who is Craig?

#97re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 1:47am

I think OneEros should go keep Di2 company while she's so lonely.

OneEros69 Profile Photo
OneEros69
#98re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 2:31am

DGrant ...

Very deep and respectful of you. I read some of your postings ... A One Trick "Producer's" pony.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#99re: THE ODD COUPLE - REVIEW
Posted: 10/29/05 at 2:47am

Okay, I've been busy with school and rehearsal lately so I've been out of the gossip, but wasn't Ernie Sabella supposed to be in the show?

Videos