pixeltracker

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED- Page 4

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#75re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:01pm

Doug---There will be a LOT of resistance, as you can tell from this microcosm of posts.

My advice is keep your "nose clean" and push forward. Anything illegal will pull you down. That will make your approach a tough one, but it's the only way to see if it will really work and change our view of theatrical influence. Ultimately the masses will decide if they want to embrace this approach, not the "traditionalists" or the "rebel visionaries" who already love going to the theatre.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#76re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:01pm

doesnt matter if its bootleg or not...its still a very bad idea (in my opinion and lots others)..once again THEATER SHOULD BE LIVE AND AN EXPERIENCE YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET!!!!!! WHY would u want to videotap it??

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#77re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:02pm

Again - I have yet to receive any information or link sending me to illegal material.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me and we can put this baby to bed.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

gavrochegirl
#78re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:03pm

"doesnt matter if its bootleg or not...its still a very bad idea (in my opinion and lots others)..once again THEATER SHOULD BE LIVE AND AN EXPERIENCE YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET!!!!!! WHY would u want to videotap it??"

YES. Yes, yes, yes...you are absolutely right...

...despite your large supply of exclamation (sp!) points. re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

What the puck?!

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#79re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:04pm

well said, best 12. I was from a little farm country and was never interested in broadway until I saw the video version of Into the woods. it really turned me on to live theatre. had it not been for that videotaped production, I probably wouldn't be talking here, and I certainly wouldn't have spent over $1,000 on broadway shows in the past few years. I also agree with Craig. shows should be released to the public say, 3 years after its closing. I just saw movin out last night for the first time, and as I was sitting there, I couldn't help but thinking that a show as unique and special as needed to be videotaped for future people to see. I do not agree with a version of the show being available while the show is running, but if released after its closed, what is the harm, especially if it gives me something tangible to remember a movin out by, and not just fading memory.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 10/30/05 at 01:04 PM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#80re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:05pm

DVD Roll call

Who here has any of the following

Sunday In The Park With George
Sweeney Todd
Pippin
Passion
Into The Woods
Cats
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Barnum

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#81re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:07pm

I have sunday
sweeney
pippin
woods
the passion concert. (taped it off tv)
I don't like the style cats and JCS is filmed in. I like the actual version of the show, right on stage, and right in front of a live audience. no tricks, no edits.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

gavrochegirl
#82re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:07pm

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is something I never watch, but have...

I didn't know they taped Pippin or Barnum, though...

...GAH. Enough of this.

What the puck?!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#83re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:08pm

6 out of 8.

You can add to my list:
Sophisticated Ladies
Victor/Victoria
Smokey Joe's Cafe
Peter Pan

And guess what? I still go to the theatre quite regularly.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#84re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:08pm

I have three (Sunday in the Park, Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods) but they were filmed wit PERMISSION, and were broadcast on PBS, which never releases bootlegs. And besides, they were from the eighties.

Let's keep the war up, guys!

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

USTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
#85re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:09pm

Again I will reiterate. There is nothing illegal on my site. If you identify something I will have it removed. All postings are given to me by marketing personnel promoting their play in the UK and video are showreel videos posted by actors. I am currently filming content with the persmission of the authors and actors and these will be going online soon.

BEST12 is a stalwart on this bulletin board offering his opinion, nor necessarily supportive but nevertheless in a non-threatening manner. Thanks for that. I really did and still do, feel threatened that those other guys are trying to put me out of action even before I get off the ground. Not pleasant people at all and not what I expected from a respectable site. I will take note for future postings.

Doug

_________________ www.uktheatre.net

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#86re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:11pm

You could become a Broadway legend from doing this kind of thing...

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#87re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:12pm

Do you guys know that crying "bootleg" when he doesn't have any posted on his Web site is libel and slander?

While he is not the illegal one here... YOU are?

This isn't the Salem witch trials. (although, it's the season for it.)

While you have every right to think it's a bad idea, keep your arguments to legal ones.

Updated On: 10/30/05 at 01:12 PM

iheartcheyenne123
#88re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

well this is wht people think of your idea of tapping musicals! so mayb you should rethink and look wht people wrote more carefully re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#89re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

I forgot about smokey joe's, and I really want barnum

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#90re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:13pm

"I have three (Sunday in the Park, Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods) but they were filmed wit PERMISSION, and were broadcast on PBS, which never releases bootlegs. And besides, they were from the eighties.

Let's keep the war up, guys! "

Why do you own these DVDs? They can't compare to seeing it live? Why is it ok because they are from the 80s?

Our UK poster has not implied that ANY recording would be done without permission. Let's face it - he just wouldn't be able to do it. The second the unions got wind, he'd not only be shut down, but prosecuted. Especially if it was offered as a pay-per-view.

You might not like his ideas and website - but let's stop exclaiming what he's doing is illegal.

And not to sound parental - but those that own any of the DVDs mentioned lose any credibility in your argument in my eyes about the legitimate archiving of these performances as not being worthy.

Updated On: 10/30/05 at 01:13 PM

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#91re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:18pm

I am so glad to have seen sunday in the park with george with mandy and bernie. the show came out when I was like 5. I wouldn't have been able to see it, let alone appreciate it for it's themes. wouldn't you love to see the original production of camalot, my fair lady, and west side story with julie andrews, and chita rivera, respectively if it was available to be taped back then? I know I would. It would give me a better Idea of what theatre was like back in the times of the golden age

Updated On: 10/30/05 at 01:18 PM

USTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
#92re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:20pm

Craig

Thanks for your support. I think the way this posting went is despicable and I will certainly be employing lawyers when I next launch the concept in the U.S. Perhaps you don't like the idea but it will be happening. You just know it will and I think that's what has inflamed this situation. You've now gone back into your comfort zone thinking that it will be behind you.

But be careful, the next person who you claim BOOTLEG or ILLEGAL to may be from the US where taking someone to court for libel is second nature.

Doug

_________________ www.uktheatre.net

iheartcheyenne123
#93re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:21pm

ill say it again...doesnt matter if its a bootleg or not...its still a very bad idea (in my opinion and lots others)..once again THEATER SHOULD BE LIVE AND AN EXPERIENCE YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET!! WHY would u want to videotap it??

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#94re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:23pm

to look back and remember it in twenty years when you do forget it, and to bring back the amazing feelings it gave you.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#95re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:26pm

put yourself in the year 2015 Cheyenne. wouldn't you want to view all shook up again to refresh your memory of how you felt and what Cheyenne looked like in his prime? before you say no, honestly think about what ten years will do to your memory and how you would relish that one chance to capture it again.

Updated On: 10/30/05 at 01:26 PM

Jon
#96re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:26pm

Videotaping makes it so much easier for bad community theartres to rip off staging, sets, choreography, etc. from the original productions!

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#97re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:28pm

Doug

Not even a question of support. Many criticizing your site own legitimate recordings of shows. Apparently because they were shows of the 80s and not current ones, they are exempt.

I also have yet to receive any link/info to anything remotely illegal on your site. Not that I'm looking to kill any mention of your site here, but the second someone can give me a link to any supported evidence of the like, this thread will be gone faster than you can say illegal.

What I do think is that people are so passionate against the idea that their jumping to conclusions that may or may not exist.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#98re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:28pm

so what? they've been doing it for years, anyway. not much would change.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#99re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:29pm

I think what Doug is trying to do is great. I think alot of you on this board really need to step back and re-read alot of your posts against this because some of your arguments aren't making any sense at all. E.G.: "I have three (Sunday in the Park, Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods) but they were filmed with PERMISSION, and were broadcast on PBS, which never releases bootlegs. And besides, they were from the eighties, Let's keep the war up, guys! "

First off, if you would have read Doug's first post carefully you would have known that all of this is being done with PERMISSION from all involved.

Second, I suggest those of you who are crying "Bootleg" to go look up the definition of that word before you start accusing someone unjustly.

Third, the person who wrote that statement is coming of as a hypocrite. How can that person's argument bear any weight or validity?

Please inform yourselves before going into a debate, alot of you are coming off uninformed and ignorant and your opinions are bound not to be taken seriously.

Videos