pixeltracker

Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!- Page 4

Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

#75re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 7:45am

If it wins any notable Tonys, Sweeney may also have a nice life extension on it

sicetergo
#76re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 11:06am

"A wonderful cast with so much energy. "

Not to detract from the topic of this thread but it was palpable energy - thank you for saying that. That for me is the essence of a Doyle production - the cast are so pumped up that they communicate and story-tell, it's a joy to watch.

End of sermon re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#77re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 11:09am

LuPone said recently she would extend to September, I don't think she's going to renew for another 12 months...I still think SWEENEY will complete a lovely one year run and close to not compete with COMPANY. Everyone will have made a nice profit.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#78re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 12:15pm

I must be the only person on the planet who likes Company, is very blah on Raul, but also thinks that Bobby is the most cypher-like lead character ever in a musical. Minus one song (two, if they go with the version which has "Marry Me a Little, which is ill-placed anyway), he is stuck, stuck, stuck while all the life happens around him.
And, frankly, is it me or is Doyle able to direct anything beyond this concept? I was iffy on Sweeney but really enjoyed it(not as much as a traditional staging of it, frankly) but this seems like it's going to quickly get tiresome.

SorryGrateful
#79re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 12:23pm

I can't believe I missed this news yesterday. I'm thrilled for the cast of Company and I dearly hope they keep everyone as I had no complaints cast-wise. I worry that people, myself NOT included, will get tired of the Doyle concept, but I hope that this will work out and people will see one of the greatest musicals, in my opinion, written.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#80re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:18pm

Please let them book the Helen Hayes for this, as Circle in the Square is not available...

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#81re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:25pm

I agree with Bwaysinger...
I'm in Company right now, (playing Paul re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway! ) and find the rest of the couples/girlfriends to be much more interesting characters than the central character. Any actor playing Bobby has to work very hard to keep his head above the water.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#82re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:26pm

Isn't that kind of the point, for him to get lost in how much more "interesting" his friends lives are, and just be there on the side?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Princeton78
#83re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:27pm

Right, and this makes him a rather anti-climatic lead/hero.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#84re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:29pm

It is exactly the point. He's a guy who watches life happen around him. My point was that, frankly, I don't find much in the role Tony-worthy.
Not to scare you or anything, Emcee. re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway! But I'd wait and see what happens re: Antonio Banderas opening up on Don Juan first.

luvtheEmcee
#85re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:30pm

I will absolutely put my fist through a wall. Just so you know.

And I guess it's not THE most challenging role out there, but then again, it's a challenge to make it a character people care about, you know? You've gotta see Raul do this. re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

Princeton78
#86re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:31pm

Well, I'd much rather see Raul take a Tony home than Antonio.

luvtheEmcee
#87re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:37pm

He f*cking deserves it.

... I like how I'm mad over a year in advance.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#88re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:38pm

Oh, I'm not making ANY judgments on who I want to see win next year's Tony when I don't even know which shows will have eligible actors. I'm just saying "don't count your chickens before they're hatched" is all.
And I'm not even saying Bobby's not challenging. I just find him...well, boring. I didn't get to play the part I wanted to play in Company but I had a blast! Minus having no solo (really, the men's parts in this show are pretty bland; the women get their moments) though, I really thought I had a better scene and role to play than Bobby.

luvtheEmcee
#89re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 1:39pm

I'm dragging you to see him do this. No boredom. re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

kissmycookie
#90re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 5:44pm

I must be the only one who's too intent on wondering what theatre they will put it in.

luvtheEmcee
#91re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 5:48pm

No you're not. re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

kissmycookie
#92re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:01pm

Good. Which ones are you pulling for, Em?

luvtheEmcee
#93re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:03pm

Well, if it's gonna go on a proscenium stage, I guess I'm indifferent other than that I hope it's a fairly small theatre. And since they can't have Circle in the Square... re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

kissmycookie
#94re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:10pm

psst.. Helen Hayes!

luvtheEmcee
#95re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:17pm

It has a thrust stage?
YAY.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#96re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:34pm

I am actually very excited for this transfer.

HOW AMAZING would it be if they canceled the Philharmonic production of Company for Patti LuPone's Gypsy! It's going to be llike a typical Philharmonic staged concert, directed by Lonny Price. But is she even allowed to play it at the Philharmonic? Or would Laurents not allow that? I'm praying Chicago isn't the only place she will play it.
Updated On: 4/7/06 at 06:34 PM

Michael Bennett
#97re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:46pm

The Philharmonic isn't going to do GYPSY - and Laurents would veto LuPone doing it if they did. I bet the Philharmonic will do MERRILY if they really want to replace COMPANY with a Sondheim show.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#98re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:53pm

Oh, well f*ck that. It's not fair tons of Broadway fans have to miss out on a once in a lifetime event of Patti LuPone in Gypsy because of some bitter old bag.

Michael Bennett
#99re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/7/06 at 6:55pm

I don't think COMPANY could turn a profit at the Helen Hayes - even with this concept.

Videos