pixeltracker

Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#1re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 6:44pm

me2, THAT I'll fly in for just for the weekend!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

ZONEACE
#2re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 6:45pm

this wasn't totally unexpected.

Hope it transfers with the same cast, cause I've never seen Raul in person.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 6:46pm

I'm sure Raul will be in it. Though I hope they get a better Joanne. Patti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#4re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 6:52pm

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this ended up going straight into the Eugene O'Neil theatre. I wouldn't expect SWEENEY to play much more than September-October.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#5re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 6:54pm

Yes!!

Who's producing it... did I miss that part?

Michael Bennett
#6re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:04pm

According to theatremania.com:

The announcement was made today by the show's New York producers, The Routh/Frankel/Viertel/Baruch Group, co-producers of Doyle's current Broadway production of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#7re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:07pm

Yeah, baby!!!

I have a feeling that it will go into the Belasco. The Eugene O'Neill would work out well, but I just have the feeling that it will go into the Belasco.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#8re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:11pm

wow! so freaken excited!!!!
Oh and I highly doubt Sweeney Todd will close before the fall. Its doing great, just recouped and has at least a 9 to 12 month life in it!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Sings_in_the_Rain Profile Photo
Sings_in_the_Rain
#9re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:12pm

ooh, I am so going to go see this. I have never seen Raul live, either, but I love his voice.
I'll have to go see Sweeney soon, now. :)

Shiksa Goddess2
#10re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:14pm

This is so awesome, I really hope Raul goes with it. He was an AMAZING Bobby! re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#11re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:15pm

Phone rings, door chimes, in comes Company!

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#12re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:16pm

Not surprised at all...gonna be great!

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#13re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:17pm

So excited to see Raul without the flying car! Not that I didn't like the flying car...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

insomniak
#14re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:22pm

Of course it will.

It was in my own backyard, but I missed it. Go figure.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#15re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:22pm

First, congratulations to the cast, et al, because this production is absolutey glorious and as if he hasn't had it made already, this performance being on Broadway is going to make Raúl's career. He's a genius.

However (this is going to sound extremely backhanded and rain on the parade), while I'm happy -- because now more people will get to see this, and maybe Raúl will win the Tony -- I stand by what I've been saying since I flew out to Cincinnati, which is that transferring this show, unless they magically get Bee to vacate Circle in the Square, is going to be an enormous mistake and a disservice to many of the really wonderful attributes of this production.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/6/06 at 07:22 PM

insomniak
#16re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:25pm

I'm happy for Raul, but it sucks to be me right now.

Enjoy the privilege of seeing him repeatedly, New Yorkers. I'd give anything to be you.

gboogie
#17re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:28pm

This production is brilliant! I'm so happy that it won't end in Cincinnati! More people need to experience this work of art!

I do hope the cast remains the same! They all work so well together and seem to have such a connection!

Behind_the_Spotlight
#18re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:36pm

I'm ridiculously happy about this. I just saw the show on Sunday and have had my fingers crossed for this news ever since. re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

TheaterAddict7652
#19re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:41pm

YES! I am so exicted!!! Now I can (possibly) see both Company performed and see Raul perform live!!!!

There's a lot I am not certain of...
Updated On: 4/6/06 at 07:41 PM

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#20re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:42pm

Lets officially start the group prayer for a rush ticket policy.

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Michael Bennett
#21re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:47pm

I understand your thoughts Em, and I never thought that Doyle's SWEENEY would work outside of the thrust seating at the Trafalgar Studio (which is configured apparently the same as the Watermill where the show started) but it transferred fine to the Wyndam and to the Eugene O'Neil. It may have lost "something" in the move, but overall the concept still works.

Like SWEENEY, I bet there will be some changes made to the show (by Sondheim's request) for Broadway.

I don't argue about there being "lots of life" left in SWEENEY, but the show's musician/actor concept makes replacement casting a lot more difficult and truthfully I think the current cast/producers will be more than elated for the show to run even one solid year. Plus, I don't think the producers are going to risk wearing outthe welcome of Doyle's concept.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in another thread, but did Doyle make cuts to the script of COMPANY as he did with SWEENEY?

luvtheEmcee
#22re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:50pm

Well, for the record, several friends of mine saw Sweeney on the thrust stage in London, and then they saw it here, and still just shake their heads and go "it was better in London...." That doesn't mean it's bad, surely.

And, of course it's totally plausible for Company to be re-staged and to work out just fine, and still be quite good -- but people will probably still say "it was better in Cincy...." Which, whatever. This is clearly about the money.

I think that with Sweeney, it was a bit more difficult to have the change be a detriment, because IMO, a show like Company -- about a community and its outsider -- thrives on intimacy, which is going to get lost.

The only cut I could discern was Tick Tock, but that's been talked about a lot.

Sorry to rain on the parade -- I AM happy.

Updated On: 4/6/06 at 07:50 PM

Michael Bennett
#23re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:54pm

Well, yes I would say in many ways that SWEENEY isn't as special as it was in London - and partly that has to do with the space and partly it has to do with the raw energy of the show there - including the pitchy cast.

COMPANY actually has a bigger cast than SWEENEY so on that level it will at least fill out the space of a Broadway stage better (in terms of intimacy).

It will just be - different. Probably a few cast changes too, don't you think?

luvtheEmcee
#24re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 7:56pm

I think by cutting down the size of the stage space that's used in Sweeney on Broadway, they've done what they can to eliminate the "problem" presented by having a small cast. They've sort of built a smaller stage on the bigger one, if you will.

I guess some casting changes are probably inevitable, but casting was *already* kind of difficult, so maybe not as many as you'd think? We shall see....

Videos