pixeltracker

Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?- Page 4

Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?

FoscasBohemianDream
#75re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/14/06 at 6:33pm

"every Broadway fan must own a Gypsy cast recording"
--Amen to that, ljay

GodIHopeIGetIt Profile Photo
GodIHopeIGetIt
#76re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/14/06 at 6:34pm

Double Amen

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#77re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/14/06 at 6:36pm

I have two, don't plan on getting any more.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#78re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/14/06 at 7:28pm

I think she's almost TOO sexy. Yes, Rose has sex appeal, but it's supposed to be rather faded. The line "If I woulda, I coulda, and that's show biz" wouldn't make sense in my book...

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#79re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/14/06 at 9:16pm

Enough already with the GYPSY revivals and remakes. It been done to death. Why don't they remake MAME? Now there's a movie that desperately needs to be remade.

Updated On: 6/14/06 at 09:16 PM

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#80re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/18/06 at 10:51pm

About the age thing. I think the real Rose was 15 when she got married and had Gypsy.

TheaterAddict7652
#81re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/18/06 at 11:32pm

I think CZJ would be a great Rose, but I'd prefer if she played Rose in ten or fifteen years. I know that she could look older on film, but I'd prefer it if she actually was the age of the character she is playing.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#82re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/18/06 at 11:44pm

She IS the age of the character; she is actually older than the age of the character....are we going to have this debate ad naseum? The real Rose Hovick was born in 1895; the final scene takes place around 1933 when Louise was 21 or so; which would make Rose only 38!

Also found this interesting tidbit on the web:

"Rose (or Mama Rose, as she is best known), who was Jewish and lesbian, had married John Hovick, a newspaperman, at the age of fifteen, and was the classic example of a smothering stage mothe who insistently pushed her two daughters into stardom: stripper Gypsy Rose Lee and actress June Havoc; Gypsy's story about lives of the three women became the a 1959 hit musical, Gypsy: A Musical Fable.

Rose was no longer bothering with men. She had, as Havoc would write, 'turned toward her own sex,' at first runing a lesbian boardinghouse in a 10-room apartment Gypsy rented for her on West End Avenue, and then running a sort of lesbian farm in her country house in Highland Hills. At a party in that house, Rose pulled another gun, this time on one of the girls. She killed her. Because Gypsy was a star, it was covered up. "There were a lot of people there when it happened". says Erik Preminger [Gypsy's son], who had heard the same story from three people. "The girl was Rose's lover and she made a pass at my mother."

Updated On: 6/18/06 at 11:44 PM

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#83re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 12:00am

"I know that she could look older on film, but I'd prefer it if she actually was the age of the character she is playing."

Clearly you ignored what I wrote.

Videos