pixeltracker

They're Playing Our Song- Page 4

They're Playing Our Song

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#75re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 8/30/06 at 2:22pm

by the time I saw this on B'Way I got to see it with Diana Canova and Ted Wass (both of "SOAP" fame)...I loved both of them....heck, it's still one of my favorites shows. Still one of my favorite cast recordings and I don't fast forward through any of the songs. re: They're Playing Our Song

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#76re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 8/30/06 at 3:06pm

I still hope someone coinsiders a revival of this show. I think there's no other show like it currently playing and I would imagine that it's relatively cheap to produce. It's a completely delightful evening of theatre. I wonder if any names would be interested in doing...say...6 months stints in the show? It would be neat to see a revolving cast of folks paired up.

genius2
#77re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 8/30/06 at 4:07pm

One of the first shows I ever saw on Broadway, at the time with Tony Roberts and Anita Gillette..but here's the kicker, I know that at one time it was on Columbia's release schedule as a movie reuniting formerly married Elliott Gould and Barbra Streisand

Buscee
#78re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 8/30/06 at 4:29pm

As I had mentioned before Lucie stated there have been talks of a short revival or benefit with the Orginal stars..Lets keep our fingers crossed and see if that happens.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#79re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 8/30/06 at 9:25pm

In the mid 1980's there was to have been a production in Hawaii with Lucie and Lawrence Luckinbill. This was going to be taped for television but it never eventuated.

Buscee
#80re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 8/31/06 at 8:33am

Wouldnt it be interesting instead of remaking broadway movies like Cinderella, South Pacific,Bye Bye Birdie and Annie they take a chance and make a TV Movie on a show that never had a movie or televison special made? Like THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG.
Maybe Lucie and Robert Klein would do that. I know I would watch it!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#81re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 8/31/06 at 8:56am

Much as I'd like to see them do it they are a tad old now after all Sonia is just supposed to have turned 30.

#82re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 8/31/06 at 9:56pm

This thread is bringing back a flood of wonderful memories. I wish someone would write a show for Lucie A. She is such a pro and so captivating on stage. She deserves a great vehicle.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#83re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/2/06 at 10:40am

Could she do MAME or DOLLY?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#84re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/2/06 at 11:03am

I think it would be fine to cast Arnaz and Klein in a concert version even though they're quite a bit older now - I mean, Reba is old enough to be Nellie's grandmother!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#85re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/2/06 at 11:00pm

Maybe as a 'one off' concert, fundraiser or whatever.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#86re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/2/06 at 11:01pm

Exactly. And taped for PBS!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Buscee
#87re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/5/06 at 1:43pm

Whatever it is. I hope something happens. It really is a charming musical.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#88re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/6/06 at 9:59am

But please, with the Douglas W. Schmidt sets.

Buscee
#89re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/7/06 at 5:05pm

is there anyother set that would be perfect?

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#90re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:08pm

As I've said before, every time I've seen the show without the original set and costumes (Ann Roth) it seems lacking.

larry3
#91re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/19/06 at 3:26am

Happened to be browsing this thread about PLAYING OUR SONG

I was the original MD of the show.
Fran Liebergall was asst MD/pianist and became music supervisor when I left the show to MD EVITA on the West Coast.

Eydie Gorme was brought in to do the last few notes on WHEN YOUR IN MY ARMS after the orchestra was recorded and after Lucie Arnaz recorded the song. Just to replace the last WHEN YOUR IN MY ARMS
That is Eydie on the recording. . and was present at her recording.
On the final encore of THEYRE PLAYING OUR SONG with the alter egos
the sound of the egos playing the kybds wasn't together....
I sat on the floor of the old Record Plant studios on Melrose Ave in Los Angeles and played the toy pianos myself...
one under each hand....
and then recorded it over again at least two more times to replace the tracks of the "kids" playing the pianos which was not together.
In addition...the toy pianos were 1/2 tone off and had to play it a 1/2 tone higher to sound in the proper key.

The original understudies for Klein and Arnaz
were John Gets and Mimi Kennedy who never went on to my knowledge.
I hired both Rhonda Farer and Donna Murphy as replacements
and Rhonda was hired to cover Lucie and eventually took over the role for a short while.

I left the show to do Evita in Los Angeles with Loni Ackerman
Robert Klein stayed one week longer than I and was replaced by Tony Roberts who I coached for the role.
The national tour opened in Chicago with Victor Garber and
Ellen Greene who was later replaced by Marsha Skaggs.
The bus and truck opened with Lorna Luft and I think, Richard Ryder.
The bus and truck was reorchestrated by me without strings.
I believe that orchestration was used for Westbury and subsequent
productions without strings.
there have been discussion about reviving the show with the ORIGINAL CAST and I was asked by Lucie Arnaz if I'd be interested
in conducting it, if there was to be a production.
I think it unlikely, but a nice idea.
It was a fun show at the time...and very much like PROMISES PROMISES in 1968 really sounded fresh in the theatre the year it opened...1979
It would seem clearly dated if not revised

Larry Blank

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#92re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/19/06 at 9:20am

Thank you for the input Larry, that seems to have cleared up a few misconceptions!

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#93re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/19/06 at 9:27am

ooh Victor Garber would've been AMAZING in this show. i heart him!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#94re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 9/20/06 at 2:45am

So who has foreign cast albums of this show. I have Broadway, London, Australian and Italian(!). I know that there are (were) German and South African. Does anyone here have them?

Buscee
#95re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 1/10/07 at 3:25pm

I have the cast album from Italy and Mexico (in Italian and Spanish respectfully)

Julian2
#96re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 1/10/07 at 3:30pm

Does anyone know who does the licensing for this show?

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Buscee
#97re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 1/10/07 at 3:34pm

Samuel French

NiteOwl Profile Photo
NiteOwl
#98re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 1/10/07 at 6:53pm

I never got to see this show but I do know of it.
How can I forget those endless television commercials for it when it first opened with that catchy theme song.
I wish they would revive it just so that I could go see it.
Simon is one of my favorite playwrights, I had no idea he wrote this or Promises, Promises for that matter.
So many talented performers got to do this show.
This has been a fascinating thread to read. It's obvious many here have alot of love for this show.

I'm now thinking of purchasing the OBC recording.

"I'm only 17 and am running on 6 cups of coffee so, forgive me if things that I post seem spastic." ~ Elphaba 43

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#99re: They're Playing Our Song
Posted: 1/10/07 at 8:50pm

Ugh, I LOVE this show. I hope it comes back!!

Videos