pixeltracker

Grey Gardens- Great Story/Bad Musical- Page 4

Grey Gardens- Great Story/Bad Musical

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#75re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/27/07 at 8:23pm

The creators did a lot with the story given its offbeat subject matter

The musical is not bad just not the greatest one that was ever produced as some think it is. No show is worth seeing twice a month & especially not GG. Ebersol is very good but without her it suffers. I think it needs the Tony to try & make a run of it. Ebersoles is probably a given but Best musical will probably go to Spring Awakening or dark horses like Curtains or Poppins

Poster Emeritus

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#76re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/28/07 at 1:26am

Have you seen it without Ebersol Mr Roxy? I am wondering because I am going again for the forth time on April 4TH and and wondering what it will be like without Christine.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#77re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/28/07 at 1:43am

Roxy, your analysis of GG is certainly one of the oddest things I've ever read.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ashley0139
#78re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/28/07 at 10:19am

I saw it two and a half weeks ago and I'm going again on Saturday. I think it is really that good. But that's just me.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

BroadwayPenguin2
#79re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/28/07 at 12:32pm

I saw it a week ago knowing nothing about it, and I absolutely adored it!

I'm now hooked on GG! Erins performance was fabulous. I saw her as the central character instead of Christine in act 1.

I sat in the first row and it was one of the most entrancing pieces of theatre I've seen in a while.

broadwaybaby086
#80re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/28/07 at 1:22pm

The first time I saw it was in December and I thought it was good, but on my second viewing a few weeks ago, I was completely blown away. It is definitely a piece that warrants a second viewing, if not for a second chance than to observe more of the subtleties that the actors bring to their characters, especially Davie. Since I was so inspired that second time, I went back to see it one week later, and Ms. Davie had already made some changes that were wildly effective and heartbreaking.

Nevermind all that, definitely give it a second viewing. :o)

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#81re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/28/07 at 5:14pm

I've seen the show 10 times now. (Some on discount, I assure you.) It's the most amazing piece of theater I've seen. You walk away with something different each time. Everyone in the cast has improved tremendously. (Not that Christine Ebersole or Mary Louise Wilson needed to-it just happened.)
There's just something special about the show and the connections the actors have made with the characters. THe glorious score and tightly written book also help it.
Look for some Tonys for this one.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

queenbee2
#82re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/28/07 at 5:37pm

bwaygal1-

I completely respect your opinion, and love that you are passionate about this show. I think that's what good theater should do, is make the audience feel passionate about it.

I also think this is a great example of how fascinating theater can be, when someone like you can go to GG and want to go back again and again (x10) and I honestly couldn't wait for it to be over the first time. Much like Spring Awakening, I just "didn't get it". YES, the performances of the two leading ladies were incredible. But the story telling was just so flawed in my mind, and the first act was such a mess. I admit that the second act was much more interesting than the first, but I already had such a disconnect to the people and the story by that point, that I just didn't care.

But that's the beauty of it. You loved it. I didn't. It made us both think.

And hey- I really like Pirate Queen. Believe me, I know people differ on that opinion.

-QB

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#83re: Grey Gardens
Posted: 3/28/07 at 5:47pm

We all have a right to our personal tastes.

It's like food. A lot of people love peanut butter. I think it tastes like ****.

Videos