pixeltracker

Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film- Page 4

Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#75re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 8:42pm

I think an obvious choice for Aloysius would have been Sissy Spacek. She hasn't had a role where she could really use her talents since IN THE BEDROOM. I think she would shine in this role, but I have no doubt that Streep will be fine. I agree with whomever said that this would work great as an HBO film, but as we all know, they need to wring as much cash out of each potential project as possible, so if a big screen adaptation with Streep can happen, it's going to happen.

I agree with the ideas of Damon or Robert Sean Leonard as Father Flynn. DiCaprio still looks too young in my opinion. I totally bought him as a 16 year old just a few years ago in CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. Damon was brilliant as the sexually ambiguous Ripley in THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY and I think he could lend a lot of mystery to this role.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 2/19/07 at 08:42 PM

Rotel1026
#76re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:31pm

I actually like the idea of Mark Walberg. I think he's a much better actor than people give him credit for and I'd love to see him spread his wings with a role that would really get him noticed finally. I know he did a great job in Departed and got a supporting actor nom, but you any talk you heard about Departed was originally Scorcese, Damon, Di Caprio & Nicholson.

As for Cherry Jones, look at what happened to History Boys (movie) here in America. No one saw it even with the critically acclaimed original cast. While I'd love to have seen her get the role in the movie, Broadway credits just don't seem to carry much weight with the general movie going audience.

DG
#77re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:46pm

"a role that would really get him noticed finally."

Just an aside - considering he's nominated for an Oscar this year, this might have already happened re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#78re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:32pm

I found Wahlberg's Oscar nod. for The Departed highly unnecessary, but that's something for another thread. Matt Damon has become a bit underrated (no Academy nominations for The Departed, The Good Shepherd--horrible movie but he gave a great performance--or Mr.Ripley). I think Wahlberg would be miscast in Doubt (he could surprise though and it's an interesting show), Damon would provide the character with enough mystery, appeal, charm, and torment, he'd be the ideal choice, IMO.
I can't get over the Anna Paquin suggestion, it sounds so perfect.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#79re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:32pm

somethingwicked - Thanks. Dissapointing, as I love her in her film work, but thanks. Someone on another board said they would like Christina Ricci as Sister James. I don't really see that, but I thought I'd throw it out there for y'all.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

skingdom
#80re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 10:38am

I agree with Michael Bennett...I LOVE Meryl Streep, but enough is enough.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#81re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 11:23am

Of the three replacements in the Broadway production of DOUBT, Brantley picked out Malone as the only one who could handle her role. Personally, and according to other people who saw her performance, I found her performance to be a total "rip off" of Goldenhersh's performance, and not a good one at that. Malone worked way too hard to try to accomplish what came so naturally to Goldenhersh; the voice and accent, the played down characterizations. It just didn't work for Malone.

I think Anna Paquin could perfectly attend to the subtle textures the role requires. She sounds like perfect casting to me. Ricci has a history of playing character parts, while in comparison Paquin has tackled more subdued roles. Ricci may surprise, but I think she would draw in the wrong audience.

I don't understand why Matt Damon has not received more Oscar recognition for his acting. He shone in GOOD WILL HUNTING (for which he won a writing Oscar and received a much-deserved nomination for his performance) yet was overlooked in RIPLEY, which was, in my opinion a more than Oscar worthy performance. I think he has grown into a fine performer, and even though he has yet to be recognized much by the Academy for his acting, the industry is well-aware that he can handle a wide variety of roles. Flynn would be a great challenge for him, and with the right director, he and Streep could really pull off a great dynamic between Aloysius and Flynn.

I'd like to suggest Marianne Jean-Baptiste for Mrs. Muller. She is a British actress most known for her Oscar-nominated performance in SECRETS & LIES about 10 years ago. I think she is on a television series now, but she is a fantastic actress and I think she could give a tight, fierce portrayal as Mrs. Muller. Is anyone else familiar with her work?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 2/20/07 at 11:23 AM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#82re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 11:44am

Casting Marianne Jean-Baptiste is an excellent idea, Foster - she was brilliant in SECRETS AND LIES and is the right age to play Mrs. Muller (she's not quite 40). The T.V. series she is on is WITHOUT A TRACE.

But it's Hollywood - they'll probably cast Jennifer Hudson as Mrs. Muller, especially if she wins on Sunday.

I also liked your idea of casting Sissy Spacek as Aloysious - she is another brilliant actress who doesn't seem to be able to break through the Streep ceiling.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#83re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 11:48am

Spacek's career has suffered due to her own issues - a very nice person, but difficult. The drops-out-of-things-last-minute difficult. She's caused her own career downslide.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#84re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 11:50am

Spacek actually WOULD be good in that role! i love her

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#85re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 11:59am

Thanks Rath, I never knew that about Spacek. That explains a lot.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#86re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 12:32pm

I would love to see Dench in the role. She is just plain scary as an actress, and I mean scary in a good way. I personally feel she's the next best choice after Jones, although I don't plan on shedding any tears over Streep's casting.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gylenhall or Damon as Father Flynn.

I love the idea of Angela Bassett as Mrs. Muller, but I would really love to see Jennifer Lewis in the role. Anyone who missed her this past summer in 'Mother Courage' with Streep at Shakespeare in the Park missed something special. After Streep, Lewis was the surprising highlight of the production IMHO.

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#87re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 1:15pm

Spacek also willingly vanished from Hollywood for a decade or more to raise her daughter and that goes a long way in making people forget all about you.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#88re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 1:44pm

Then she came back and started playing diva games. That didn't help either.

She has two daughters.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 2/20/07 at 01:44 PM

Danielm
#89re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 3:29pm

Regarding History Boys--I don't think masses of the general viewing public would have rushed to see it with major stars. I'm glad they did it the way they did.

I think Streep will be great in the role. I'd rather see Cherry Jones who has been wonderful in other movies, but Streep is an excellent choice. There are a lot of great actresses who would be good in this but if Streep wants to do it I'm sure she will.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#90re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 3:38pm

I don't think anyone is saying Streep will do a poor job...as a matter of fact, I think almost everyone is in agreement that she will be excellent...I think some of us are just a little sick of seeing her in so many movies recently.

As for Sissy Spacek, I think that would be ideal casting. I certainly did not know the diva thing, but that doesn't take away from the fact that she would deliver a good (if not great) performance. Also, we, or at least I, don't know the circumstances of her "diva" behavior...a lot of talented actresses (including Streep) have admitted to being called difficult just because they want to get it "perfect."

sidjones09- I think Dench could be a very interesting choice too!

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler
Updated On: 2/20/07 at 03:38 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#91re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/20/07 at 3:57pm

Spacek is not difficult on set - her difficulty is committing to things and then reneging last minute.

Many, many times.

Videos