pixeltracker

Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#1Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 8:13am

... as per Cindy Adams' column in the NY Post today.

"Meryl Streep nailed Cherry Jones' Sister Aloysius role in the film version of the 2005 B'way hit "Doubt." It's John Patrick Shanley's exquisitely crafted story of a priest's did he or didn't he, was he or wasn't he . . . "
NY Post - Cindy Adams

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 8:35am

Is anyone surprised?

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#2re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 8:43am

I'm sure Cherry Jones is!

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Yankeefan007
#3re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 8:44am

Boy, she's posed to become the foremost interpreter of stage roles on screen.

That said, excellent casting.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#4re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 8:52am

The Streep casting has been rumored for months, and Cherry Jones has gone on record expressing doubt she would ever be considered for the film.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 8:59am

In a perfect world, the film would be done by a smaller film company that would cast Jones and let the film shine on its own merits. I love me some Meryl, but damn, does she have to do everything so well. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 9:58am

If it can't be Cherry...but dang, I wish they would film this with about 5 different casts. Dench? Smith? Atkins? Struthers?

PEACE.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#7re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:09am

I just saw Cherry in the show last night, and wow! She was fantastic. I honestly can't picture anyone besides her playing that role. But I guess that if it can't be her, than Meryl will be fine.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:10am

I love Streep, but is anyone else getting just a little tired of her at the moment? She must be committed to about 15 film projects...

shesamarshmallow
#9re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:14am

I was hoping that the Doubt film would have a small enough budget that they could risk having Jones. Oh well.

Doesn't the phrasing of that article make it sound like the film has already been shot and that Meryl Streep was really good?

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#10re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:26am

Michael Bennett, I know what you are saying, but in this case I will put those feelings aside. It is perhaps the best woman's role written in the last ten years and is so far from anything Streep has done in the past I can't wait. I can't wait to hear who is playing the other roles.

PEACE.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:35am

If Lindsay Lohan or some other "it" girl plays the Sister James I will scream!!!!!

Also, I think Doubt would have been perfect as an HBO Film with Cherry Jones. HBO Films are highly respected and highly lauded.

I agree. It would be great to do the film with several different actresses. What a dream.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#12re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:38am

My first thoughts on other casting:
Father Flynn: Matt Damon, Jake Gyllenhaal (too young?)
Sister James: Anne Hathaway (too soon for a reunion?)
Mrs. Muller: Angela Bassett

I would love to see any of the original cast, of course, but it is Hollywood. Maybe Shanley will write roles in for the originals as other concerned parents or members of the clergy, they can't only have 1 priest and 2 nuns at a school.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#13re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:48am

Sister James: Anna Paquin
Father: James McAvoy
The mother of the child: Angela Bassett

Streep again??? How about Julie Walters? Miranda Richardson?

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#14re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:48am

I'd like to see Cherry, of course. But Streep is an excellent choice.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#15re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:50am

Too bad they didn't have Eileen Atkins. I saw her in the show and thought she was magnificent. Ah well, so we will see Meryl in Mamma Mia and Doubt.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Michael Bennett
#16re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:51am

I think Anna Paquin would make a great choice for Sister James. Matt Damon is probably the logical film name to play Father Flynn opposite Streep. Ditto Angela Bassett.

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#17re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 10:57am

fflagg: Anna Paquin would be a good choice. and going with your Scottish theme, how about Ewan McGregor for Father Flynn?

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#18re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:02am

If not Bassett then Alfre Woodard.

I really like Streep, Damon and Paquin though.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#19re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:05am

I agree that Paquin and Bassett are absolutely perfect for Sister James and Mrs. Muller, but I'm not sure I like Matt Damon as Father Flynn (although it could work.) I pictured him as someone a bit older... Sean Penn, maybe?

In regards to the Streep casting- she'll be fine. It's Meryl Streep. She wouldn't be my first choice (I wanted Judi Dench personally,) but I'm sure she won't dissapoint and will do the role justice.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#20re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:09am

They need to go younger with Father Flynn to get the bodies in the theatre.

Damon is a "younger" choice, but he's not too young for the part. And he can carry a film on his own, let alone going toe to toe with the likes of Streep.

Michael Bennett
#21re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:13am

I agree. Damon is pushing 40 and he has a boyish quality that I think works really well in the role. You could easily see why a teenager would be drawn to him.

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#22re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:14am

I love the idea of Meryl, although I loved Cherry's performance. I think that Anna P is a good choice, but if not her maybe Natalie Portman. Angela Basset and Matt Damon oh yes!!!

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#23re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:16am

I think Damon would be great. I remember there had been rumblings about Penn a while ago, but I don't like the idea of him in the role at all. I think he would skew guilty. Obviously he's a fine actor and should be able to pull it off, but I think someone like Damon, like MB said with Damon having that boyish quality, would work better (leaving you more torn).

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#24re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:21am

Penn isn't likeable enough on screen.

Damon is.

I think they could even go a tad younger with it and cast Leonardo Di Caprio... or Mark Wahlberg.

Why is it always the same 4 or 5 names for everything?

* he asks rhetorically *

Videos