pixeltracker

songs without any relevance to the musical- Page 4

songs without any relevance to the musical

Sant
#75re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:31pm

"Another Suitcase In Another Hall" - EVITA. A pretty song, yes. A hit, yes. Relevant to the plot or the character? No. Could the song be cut and the show would still remain the same? Yes.

This one doesn't add anything to the plot. The only thing it reveals about the mistress is sad to be dumped. And that doesn't have any relevance to the story. Seems to me that the only relevance to the show this song has, is that it allowes the actess playing Eva change costume (and wig?) and have a couple of minutes off stage.

TheaterAddict7652
#76re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:10pm

I was listening to Donna McKechnie's interview on the American Theatre Wing's Downstage Center podcast recently, and she explained the story behind "Turkey Lurkey Time". According to her, the three secretary characters who lead the song originally had side plotlines, but those where cut to save time. The characters were also going to be cut, but Michael Bennent needed a first act finale and he used those three women so that they would have a chance to keep their jobs.

Maybe everyone else knew this already, but I found it interesting.

In a simular note, Fosse created the number "Who's Got the Pain" in Damn Yankees so that Gwen Verdon could get another chance to dance.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

FrontRow
#77re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:17pm

Steam Heat from Pajama Game. Ultimate irrelevant song in a show.

And don't start saying oh it's such a great dance number. That wasn't the question.

SweeneyPhanatic
#78re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:10pm

Many of the songs in GREASE pop up almost randomly (one which comes to mind is "We Go Together" at the end of Act 1; nothing leads into it!). But the one song which is definately random, and pointless, is "Magic Changes." The whole freaking scene could be removed from the show, and you'd miss absolutely nothing in terms of plot, character, etc.

I love the show, but after actually reading it, I have to say that it is one of those rere moments when the movie turns out better than the live show.

-- SDG

strelimyn Profile Photo
strelimyn
#79re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 11:05pm

About Motherhood March - and I may wrong about this - out of context it may not be so relevant, but in the show Dolly is rambling to Vandergelder to distract him while she helps Cornelius and Barnaby escape. I don't know if I explained that fantasically ...

sumladfrompa.tumblr.com

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#80re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 11:30pm

Hmm, I do agree that Another Suitcase isn't central to the plot and the show wouldn't be that different without it, but I think it serves a bigger function than you give it credit for. It contrasts with what Eva is doing--most women at that time were typical like the mistress, getting by, where am i going, whereas Eva too had another suitcase in another hall but she controlled the halls, knew exactly where she was going, etc. Maybe i'm giving too much credit and it really does exist for a costume change.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

FutureElphie Profile Photo
FutureElphie
#81re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/27/07 at 5:22pm

"Beauty School Dropout" from Grease. I have to admit in the movie I usually fastforward it... and I think Little Lamb is actually pretty relevant in Gypsy.

-I couldn't help it Janet! She was just like you, only french... ~Robert-The Drowsy Chaperone~

BDrischBDemented
#82re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/27/07 at 6:19pm

It's not so much that the "Motherhood March" has no point, it serves as a distraction as you said, but the song comes out of left field when Dolly just says something like "What do you stand for, Horace? I know what I stand for!". The scene could fairly easily be done without the song, and the lyrics themselves are not a topic really explored in the show.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#83re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/27/07 at 6:44pm

Every song in Grease.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

#84re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/27/07 at 8:37pm

Someone said:

"AH. I love "Turkey Lurkey Time" with a passion, but yeah, its kind of irrelevant. "

It's done at the Christmas party. Should these people have just stood around and talked? May I quote (from FLOWER DRUM SONG) "What are we going to do about the younger generation?"

Julian2
#85re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/27/07 at 9:39pm

Feed the Birds has very important plot relevance! For the movie, Mary instills the idea of feeding the birds, so Michael won't give his toppins to the bank because he wants to feed the birds, that's what starts the whole problem at the bank and results in Mr. Banks' almost firing, and eventual character change.

Yeah, in the movie its great. But in the stage show, its just not important.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#86re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/27/07 at 9:40pm

Mamma Mia songs

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#87re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/27/07 at 10:03pm

^ amen!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

#88re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/28/07 at 2:32am

"The scene following The Ladies Who Lunch is incredibly important -- but the song doesn't lead into it at all. The song happens, then Bobby starts talking to Joanne, who isn't speaking to him because she's just come to a harsh realization. Joanne's proposition of Bobby, which leads to his breakthrough, does not derive from that song at all.
"

I disagree with this--Company is presented in such a way that the songs nearly all comment and add to the characterizatrion of a character or comment on the scene in a slightly detached way (as Sondheim has said while it's not truly Brechtian, it is the antithesis in many ways of a ROdgers and Hammerstein show). The song IMHo is essential to Joanne's character and what we see of it in the following scene particularly

Nosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
#89re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/28/07 at 5:29am

"what are some songs that you think are COMPLETELY irelevant to some musiclas. for me its:

sentimental man- wicked
dancing through life- wicked
finland- spamalot
little old ladys land- producers
masquerade- phantom "

Apparently you have not understood anything of the the musical they all have their their use and interest !

Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"

Zeitoujo
#90re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/28/07 at 10:47am

what does finland add to spamalot?

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

#91re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/28/07 at 11:34am

zeitoujo asked what "Finland" added to Spamalot.

Hmmmmmmmm

What does "Message From a Nightingale" add to The Drowsy Chaperone?

Answer to both questions: Humor.

Perhaps zeitoujo needs to find another way to spend his/her time as he/she obviously doesn't "get" the theatre re: songs without any relevance to the musical

Next zeitoujo will be asking what "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" and "Rat Tat Tat Tat" add to Funny Girl.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#92re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/28/07 at 12:03pm

Sometimes seemingly "irrelevant" songs are there for a theatrical purpose.

Little Lamb serves a small plot purpose showing Louise left alone and ignored on her birthday, but in the original it was a quiet respite for the audience after several noisy Ethel Merman numbers and the noisy vaudeville routines. Little Lamb gives the audience a chance to catch its breath and without it Act I would be too relentless.

CALL ME MADAM had a second act showstopper "They like Ike" that roused the audiences then because Eisenhower fever was just starting in the USA. (It was later used as his campaign song which must have pleased the staunchly republican Irving Berlin and Ethel Merman!) By 1953 it was out of date and easily dropped from the movie version.

In older musicals, potential showstoppers or hit songs were sometimes wedged into the plot often done with the excuse that it’s a song as part of an "entertainment" staged within the show.

Steam Heat, is presented as an entertainment at the union rally, gave Bob Fosse a chance to really show what he could do. And it does give a lift to the opening of Act II which tends to get bogged down in its plot until they go to Hernando's Hideaway. Ole!

I rather dislike shows that take the easy way out and use the songs as part of a show-within-a-show. 42ND STREET does that with almost all of its songs. In fact the number in 42ND STREET that has the most impact for me is "Lullaby of Broadway" because it comes from the characters. Also it's a great song.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Videos