Good GYPSY Revival News

the_musical Profile Photo
the_musical
#75re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:20am

we'll i'm excited - i only saw it once from the cheap seats at city center.

but somethingwicked, i think your problem of rose being upstaged by her daughters is inherent in the musical. i've loved gypsy for a long time, and i mean there are moments i feel for rose (which clearly rely heavily on whoever is in the role) but the truest most show stealing moments seem to belong to louise. so your beef might not just be with this cast, but the show in general.

although i think you are right, laura did steal the show.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#76re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:41am

"Yes. If Benanti transfers with the production (which I'm sure will happen, especially if her husband is doing South Pacific), the Featured Actress trophies are hers to lose."

Actually, with Leslie Kritzer, Mary Testa, Sherrie Rene Scott, and Karen Olivio, this will be a tough year.

"Mandy Gonzales/Priscilla Lopez (whoever's in the category)
Jenna Russell
Sierra Boggess (the obligatory newcomer nod)
Patti
Faith Prince
with one being eliminated (4 nominees)"

There were always 5. I wish FOLLIEs transfered over this, though.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#77re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:53am

Thank you for clearing that one up. (5 nominees)
I think then, that the ladies I mentioned will be nominated.
Jenna Russell just got fantastic reviews and Faith Prince may give Patti a run for her money.

I agree with the consensus that Laura may be their best hope for a Tony.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#78re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/21/07 at 11:56am

I would think that Boyd Gaines would have a good shot at a Tony as well.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#79re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/21/07 at 12:40pm

the_musical, while it can be said that part of the seeming off-balance at City Center might have had more to do with Benanti utalizing her moments to perfection than LuPone underplaying hers, I still feel as if the dynamic of the show is set for Rose to be the star of the evening, something I didn't feel LuPone was the night I saw the show (and this coming from someone who thought the utterly miscast Bernadette Peters, with a terrific Louise in Tammy Blanchard, still owned the night during the Sam Mendes revival.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Videos