News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for the_musical

the_musical Profile Photo
Member Name: the_musical
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Ripley and Skinner at the Kennedy Center. Anyone else go?
 Apr 14 2008, 12:45:42 PM

"You Have To Be There" ~ Alice (best I've EVER heard it!!!)

oh you've seen her sing it before? isn't it always just wonderful? although for me it's always hard to pick a favorite time i've heard it. by that point in the concert set i'm too emotional to be truly objective. haha.

and wonderboy - she didn't. although i keept holding out hope she would whip it out. to be fair since she sprung 'My Brother Lived in San Francisco' on us, i guess there's no room for comp

re: Suggestions Appreciated (Show Decisions)
 Feb 8 2008, 02:10:09 PM

i haven't actually done it, but the next to normal rush is dicey at best. they don't reserve the seats, so you only get them to $10 if no one else has taken them, they have a lot of subscribers the theater isn't that big, and for 15 dollars more you can get advance youth tickets.

if you really want to see normal that night, i would plan on getting a youth advance ticket now. and i think it's definitely worth it.

re: Broadway on a Budget?
 Feb 8 2008, 10:36:46 AM
remote - the tkts booth is on 46th Street between Broadway and 8th.

the hours are listed on the tdf website - http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v

and be prepared to show up with cash.

re: Broadway backwards
 Feb 6 2008, 11:20:49 AM

i'm pretty sure the special guest star was the unannounced cathy rigby in the opening peter pan skit.

re: My thoughts on NEXT TO NORMAL (Long, possible spoilers)
 Jan 30 2008, 12:05:17 AM
I also like Costco, and I am surprised that some people found it jarring. Up till that point, we had only heard the "Let There be Light (Intro)" and "Just Another Day." It is different in musical content and style from the songs that follow, but at the initial moment it happens there's not much to compare it to.

Tchi - I definitely agree that it's a nice way of demonstrating something is not quite right without hitting you in the head with it, and while providing a very catchy song.

re: 'Caroline, or Change' Monologue?
 Jan 29 2008, 12:41:17 PM
you mean sunday morning? right before lot's wife?

i'm at work so i did this ipod'less and from memory. i think it's pretty much all there though.

Dotty:
i never seen you so sad.
we known each other all these years.
caroline, my heart bleed for you,
but folk can't just surrender to their fears.
i know it hurt to change.
it actually hurts, learning something new,
and when you full-grown, it's harder, that's true -
it feel like you got to break you

re: Great Source for 14'x22' Window Card Frames
 Jan 28 2008, 12:46:28 PM

Seconding the Micheal's/ AC Moore I get all my window card frames at craft stores. They are normally $10 (not on sale). However they are slightly larger than the windowcards, so I normally just get a nice black mat while I'm at the craft store.

Also if you watch the sales, they often run half price frame sales.

re: Anyone seen NEXT TO NORMAL tonite?
 Jan 20 2008, 06:05:11 PM
while i had never seen alice ripley in any show prior to this one, i have heard her sing before and i don't think she is straining or doing damage to her voice. her voice, as you can hear in other recordings, has always had that quality to it. in addition i was blown away by her performance.

to be fair i was completely unfamiliar with the show's previous incarnations, so perhaps i just lacked preconceived notions of the role.

Jan 17 2008, 11:22:15 PM
Honestly, i don't see a ton they could do to get back ANY of the greatness lost in the transition. Where it was last night was a long way from where it was 27 months ago, maybe a lottle too far away to get back.

I agree the ending could use some work, and I don't doubt that it will happen.

However I disagree with the idea that the only good ending would be throwing in another attempted suicide. Liverpool was all of the show's "greatness" completely tied to the second suic

Jan 17 2008, 01:45:56 AM
I was there.

I think the cast is in great shape. Brian D'Arcy James was doing some amazing work as the father, and he has an amazing chemistry with Alice.

As for Alice Ripley, I'm really glad she's back in New York in a show. I thought her voice sounded great, certainly her voice is very different and may not be to everyone's taste, but she sounded fantastic and I loved it.

The only complaint would be that the first act feels a little heavy at this point, which cons

re: better tickets at the box office?
 Jan 11 2008, 02:35:58 PM

"I waited, and it wasn't that he asked us to wait that bugged me. It was that after he knew there weren't any more tickets, he played us by asking if we all wanted some. It was just dumb."

actually his "do you still want these tickets" as well as the "what?" wasn't directed towards you and the not winning folks, it was directed to the people in the lotto line. he does it every time, not in a mean way it's just his schtick.

re: Who are those who see shows multiple times, and how??
 Jan 10 2008, 02:20:09 PM

it also helps now that i'm living here. yes, you need to factor in rent. but i'm also working full time. and not covering hotel / transportation costs, so there's less money for me to lay down all at once. and i'm more than willing to sit in the cheapest seat the theater has for something i enjoy.

re: 39 Steps?
 Jan 9 2008, 02:05:15 PM

i went in expecting very little and i had a lot of fun. indeed it's very clever.

re: Good GYPSY Revival News
 Nov 21 2007, 11:20:18 AM
we'll i'm excited - i only saw it once from the cheap seats at city center.

but somethingwicked, i think your problem of rose being upstaged by her daughters is inherent in the musical. i've loved gypsy for a long time, and i mean there are moments i feel for rose (which clearly rely heavily on whoever is in the role) but the truest most show stealing moments seem to belong to louise. so your beef might not just be with this cast, but the show in general.

although i think you

re: Broadway Unplugged
 Nov 20 2007, 10:43:24 AM

that was amazing.

i have to say one of the unexpected highlights for me was hearing willy falk do 'bring him home' and hitting that last note - soft and pure.

plus scott siegel's commentary was great.

re: When NOT to sit in the cheap seats
 Nov 5 2007, 11:29:52 AM

i've found sitting in the balcony in the walter kerr is a little too far away, especially the second row. i sat there during my second trip to grey gardens, so it was fine. but i wouldn't want a first view from up there.

re: Let's Recreate the Flop Marquee Thread!
 Oct 24 2007, 12:36:00 PM
so not so much flops but marquees...

re: Favorite Spelling Bee Commentary...
 Sep 18 2005, 01:04:23 PM
i saw it three times this summer and they definatly recycle jokes.

my favorite commentaries are always when olive's cell phone goes off and logainne does a little (usually) political rant at the mic.

"this is more fishy than the micheal bolten appoitment."

re: Avenue Q or Spelling Bee
 Sep 15 2005, 03:05:03 PM
i would have to say spelling bee, especially since as other people have been saying you would most likely see the original cast who are all fantastic. either way i'm sure you'll have a great time though.
re: Side seats at Spelling Bee
 Sep 6 2005, 01:30:04 AM
it's funny everybody talks about the spillover crowd from wicked, and i did the bee lotto twice, both after unsuccesful wicked attempts the first time it was jam packed with wicked leftovers and the second time with huge wicked lotto lines very few people stayed for bee. so it's a toss. but like you said thanksgiving.

i'd agree with luckydave if you get there a little before the box office opens you should be able to get sro tickets. good luck.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You