freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#2re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:00pm

Happy Birthday to me!

Rotel1026
#2re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:09pm

So where's the source for this? Are they waiting until after the strike to announce it?

RentBoy86
#3re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:16pm

That's exciting, though I wonder if the entire cast has signed back on?

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#4re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:18pm

Happy "Another reason to go to NYC" for me!

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

mauriposa
#5re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:21pm

Noted.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#6re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:32pm

You got it. Finally a good Tony race between Jenna Russell and Patti for Best actress Tony.

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">re: Good GYPSY Revival News border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#7re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:36pm

Grr thats a week before I open my production of Sweeney Todd, soI guess that I'll have to catch it the week after we close re: Good GYPSY Revival News I wanted to see it as soon as possible, but i guess that i'll have to wait a couple of weeks. A part of me still cant belive that this revival is actually happening!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:39pm

Patti is not going to win if she gives the same performance she gave at City Center...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:58pm

But Jenna Russell's chances aren't good if the revival is closed by Tony time. Didn't they say she doesn't have enough time to renew anyway.

Yankeefan007
#10re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:59pm

I didn't want to say it and subject myself to hostility, so thanks, Bennett.

Patti really needs to tone it down...and she can start by letting the musical director control the tempos of her songs.

jake6970
#11re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:07pm

But Patti and Jenna aren't the only competition. Faith, Sierra...

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#12re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:10pm

If anyone is the star of this production of Gypsy, it's Laura Benanti.

Patti was Patti, but it was Benanti who stole the evening right out from under her.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 11/20/07 at 09:10 PM

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#13re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:11pm

I cannot wait.
Missed it at City Center due to be way to be busy and am so glad I can see it now.

EdmundOG
#14re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:15pm

Wait, what? Didn't we just have one of these like five years ago?

Yankeefan007
#15re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:18pm

Yes. If Benanti transfers with the production (which I'm sure will happen, especially if her husband is doing South Pacific), the Featured Actress trophies are hers to lose.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#16re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:20pm

Sierra will get her nomination but I don't see her getting close to winning.

As for Faith, I think Faith is AMAZING in Catered Affair but she is not given any great songs to sing in the show.

Jenna blew me away as Dot in London but Patti will probably walk away with the Tony as this is the role she was born to play and as a snub to Brantley who loved Bernadette as Rose but didn't rave about Patti's portrayal.

To figure out who will win, try thinking like a typical Tony Voter and this will be their rationale: Patti is almost 60 years old. She really deserves that 2nd Tony. Jenna and Sierra are just starting out their Broadway careers. I already mentioned why Faith won't get a Tony.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#17re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:21pm

LuPone, Benanti, Boyd Gaines, and Leigh Ann Larkin have all been contracted to transfer with the production.

I'm not sure about Tony Yazbeck or any of the three strippers, though my guess is that Nancy Opel will not be reprising her role as she's commited to the tour of The Drowsy Chaperone.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Yankeefan007
#18re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:23pm

Hell, even Larken could get a Tony nod - for turning a tremendously 1-dimensional role into, well, a good role.

neddyfrank2
#19re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:40pm

I think Faith Prince will be some tough competition. She is magnificent in A Catered Affair and you don't always need a great big song to win the award, many times it is the little things that occur on stage.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:44pm

I agree with MichaelBennett's and YankeeFan's comments. To me Benanti and Larkin were the ones who gave the definite performance in the production. I would love for both to be Tony-nominated and I actually would have a hard time deciding which of them I would want to win. They both made the show for me.
The only stripper I REALLY would love to see again is Marylin Caskey whose hilarious Electra stopped the show both literally and figuratively.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Yankeefan007
#21re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:46pm

I will reiterate.

LuPone needs to let the musical director control the tempos.

Say it with me.

LadyRosecoe
#22re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:47pm

Leigh Ann ripped the first act out of everybody's hands and ran with it. If there was one completely inspired portrayal, I'd say it was hers, along with Benanti.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#23re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:49pm

By that mentality, Broadway Baby, LuPone would have walked away with the Tony for SWEENEY TOOD - a role she got much better reviews in than GYPSY.

The truth of the matter is, LuPone has made a lot of enemies in the theatre community. Nobody is going out of their way to give either she or Betty Buckley another Tony.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#24re: Good GYPSY Revival News
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:01pm

Exactly, Michael Bennett.

And the Tony Committee isn't going to rush and give another Tony to another Rose unless she brings something very, very fresh to the role.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Videos