pixeltracker

America on Letterman this week- Page 4

America on Letterman this week

BNN
#75re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/13/09 at 10:05pm

I don't really mind it not being original choreography, or Jerome Robbins' standard of excellence, or the blah costumes, I was extremely entertained by that video and its gotten me more excited to see this production. Remember that this is on a television stage , with performances meant to be seen live onstage, and I really don't think its fair to judge the production with any sort of certainty in any aspect until you see it live.

I also LLOOVVEE the program, and I hope I can get one in color.

Tick Tock

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#76re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/13/09 at 10:12pm

OK, I'm really annoyed. Mostly because, I LOVED her till the dance started. I mean, she COULD BE a really good Anita. I love the way she plays it. I think she's a lot of fun to watch. I really, really do. I wanted to like her.

She's not a bad dancer, but she's not an ANITA dancer. Still, I really LIKE her. I just wish her dancing were as good as everything else she's doing.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#77re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/13/09 at 10:17pm

Also, it should be noted that Anita was originally intended to sing the bottom line of the harmony, so clearly, they wanted to show Karen off more.

Craww
#78re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/13/09 at 11:02pm

And she's gorgeous. 100x hotter than any of the posters who are saying her hair and dress are ugly. So boo ya.

The comments on her hair and dress aren't comments on her attractiveness, they're comments on the hair and wardrobe design for the production. I also think she's gorgeous.

But she'd look better if her hair had more volume, and if the cut of the dress was more flattering. (The color doesn't bother me.)

broadway122 Profile Photo
broadway122
#79re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/13/09 at 11:06pm

Karen doesn't put enough energy into some of her moves, like the part where the girls put their knee around 3 minutes, why doesn't Karen swing her leg more? All the other girls are. She just kind of puts her knee up there and waits for the next move.
And then around 3:20 when they go "oww oww oww" all the other girls are getting into it with their shoulders, and Karen isn't. re: America on Letterman this week
She is such a great singer though.

"i had no idea billy elliot was about one boy's triumph over epilepsy."-FindingNamo

RentBoy86
#80re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/13/09 at 11:51pm

Wow, I was bored. And that's the BEST number from the show? Ouch. Karen sounded great, looked great, acted great, but she didn't have sort of "it" factor with her dancing. She seemed tired and sloggy and didn't have any electricity.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#81re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 12:55am

And that's the BEST number from the show?

- Well that can be argued. Not everyone will agree with that. For me the best number from the show is the QUINTET followed by A BOY LIKE THAT.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#82re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 1:12am

UN HOMBRE ASI.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#83re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 1:14am

In this revival both "A Boy Like That" and the "Quintet" lack the fire, spirit, and excitement that they should have, Laurents directed Olivo to really downplay the anger in "A Boy Like That" so she sort of just plays up the sadness without any of the rage that I feel makes the number really stand out. "America" is a lot better. Really the best number in the show is "(Me) Siento Hermosa."

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#84re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 1:32am

I was talking about the show in general.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#85re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 1:33am

I was talking about the show in general. Not this particular production. Though I loved both numbers in the revival.

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#86re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 1:30pm

Even though her dancing isn't on par with past Anitas, I still think Karen looked pretty fantastic.

RentBoy86
#87re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 3:40pm

I meant this specific production. Obviously the producers think this is the best number to showcase the show, right? So that is where I have a problem. If this is the BEST number that they have to offer, I'm not looking forward to rest of the show. It's sort of like Cry-Baby at the Tonys. If that's the best number in the show, then no wonder it closed.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#88re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 3:53pm

"I meant this specific production. Obviously the producers think this is the best number to showcase the show, right?"

They chose it because it's the most famous number from the show. It's a number middle America would recognize.

And comparing WSS to Cry Baby is the laugh of the day. WSS won't be closing for a very long time.

fizzthelibertine
#89re: America on Letterman this week
Posted: 3/14/09 at 5:05pm

I like her hair better wavy than straight. I do agree with the costumes- awful awful awful. The whole thing was really awkward because they barely had room.

Videos