pixeltracker

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018- Page 46

FROZEN to Arrive on Broadway in Spring 2018

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#1125FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/4/17 at 10:59am

^I have the latest Aladdin release, so there was a feature about the Broadway show. On the first nights of previews, they pretty much eavesdrop on the audience during intermission and after the show to see if they liked it or not. The audience was meh about it and after the "meh" reviews, the creative team had emergency meetings after the run ended. They were freaking so much over the reception. I hope to God they put in much care to the changes as they did to Aladdin between runs.

Updated On: 9/4/17 at 10:59 AM

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#1126FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/4/17 at 11:50am

Aladdin is still a hot mess. That never ending song with Aladdin’s friends running in place. Oh man. Boring set. Boring costumes. Boring book. Just bland all around.

It feels like it’s been years since Disney hired a director with a clear and distinct vision.

All just my opinion...

disneybroadwayfan22
#1127FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/4/17 at 11:53am

It's funny. I honestly think Aladdin is my favorite Disney production. It has magic, spectacle, and fun. The story is different, but most of the characters are the same. Plus, it was my Dad's favorite and he never stopped talking about it and James, so it has a gigantic spot in my heart. 

broadwayboy223
#1128FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/4/17 at 1:01pm

I thought Aladdin was the worst show I've ever seen on Broadway so far.. LOL. Anyway I would just love to keep hearing updates. I want this get so many re writes and changes even though it probably won't. I wish we would find out the exact reason Betsy didn't continue... someone's gonna chime in "a new director doesn't have to keep the old casting choices" but why is Patti Murin in it still then? She's been in almost every workshop/lab cast, I think they need to cut the hidden folk narrator, build a set for let it go, re write the sisters to get back to the theme of the show, cut the act two sauna number (WTF). Will they do these things? Probably not. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1129FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/4/17 at 1:27pm

Aladdin is the definition of flash and trash. The spectacle was cheap beyond belief. They did very little to improve the show before Broadway IMO.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

spyka
#1130FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/5/17 at 6:42pm

No, the ice dress is very much like the movie - very, very sparkly.

Elsa changes into that dress following For The First Time In Forever Reprise after freezing Anna's heart. That dress is what she's wearing when singing Monster.

She then changes back into the ice dress for Resolution and Bows.

disneybroadwayfan22
#1131FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/5/17 at 6:51pm

Oh thank you God. Yeah, then I like it a lot. Great symbolism

JennH
#1132FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/5/17 at 8:04pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Oh thank you God. Yeah, then I like it a lot. Great symbolism"

What symbolism? I don't see the purpose or even a need for her to have that many costumes, because thus far I'm counting 4 "Snow Queen" state costumes. I know they went with the "Anna is the fairytale, Elsa is the myth" idea, but this overkill, because I still don't see the need for multiple "looks". They just look like normal outfits one would wear every day, there's nothing mystical or magical about them.

At least this is better than the baby doll looking one I've been spotting.

Updated On: 9/5/17 at 08:04 PM

broadwayboy223
#1133FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/5/17 at 9:17pm

So why dont they have any Ice palace set for the girls to run up during for the first time in forever? It was so annoying to see them just cross downstage back and forth.. I also wish Life's too Short could have been used.

spyka
#1134FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/5/17 at 9:51pm

Unless I recall incorrectly (or changes have been made), there are only two 'Snow Queen' costumes and four overall for adult Elsa.

Blue 'pre-coronation outfit'
- Only worn very briefly when the parents go away and then for her lines in For The First Time In Forever. Similar outfit as in the DCA version for reference: http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/DCA-Frozen-parents.jpg

Coronation outfit
- Per the movie

Sparkly Ice dress
- Per the movie, although the cape only appears at the start of Act 2 presumably due to the quick change in Let It Go.

The 'ragged ice dress'
- Only new addition. Worn between freezing Anna's heart in the For The First Time In Forever Reprise and melting her before Love Is Open Door Reprise (Resolution). Elsa was also barefoot when wearing this (assuming Cassie just didn't have a shoe issue!)

Updated On: 9/5/17 at 09:51 PM

JennH
#1135FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/5/17 at 10:14pm

spyka said: "Unless I recall incorrectly (or changes have been made), there are only two 'Snow Queen' costumes and four overall for adult Elsa.

Blue 'pre-coronation outfit'
- Only worn very briefly when the parents go away and then for her lines in For The First Time In Forever. Similar outfit as in the DCA version for reference: http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/DCA-Frozen-parents.jpg

Coronation outfit
- Per the movie

Sparkly Ice dress
- Per the movie, although the cape only appears at the start of Act 2 presumably due to the quick change in Let It Go.

The 'ragged ice dress'
- Only new addition. Worn between freezing Anna's heart in the For The First Time In Forever Reprise and melting her before Love Is Open Door Reprise (Resolution). Elsa was also barefoot when wearing this (assuming Cassie just didn't have a shoe issue!)

"

I'm not sure how the pre coronation one you mentioned is possible, since the parents leave when their children in this version...of course unless there's a pre coronation scene we see adult Elsa in anyway? 

So this "ragged" one is new since it started last month? What about the one we see her "change into during let it go? If what your'e mentioning is correct, then we have three "Snow Queen" looks. I know I saw a picture of a very baby doll looking one, but I'll say the picture wasn't very clear so it could have been young Elsa, but I don't really know. The "iconic" one we all know, really isn't seen in act one because the LiG one is more white and as we see, no cape. I feel if they are going to do a tear away type of change, they could do the whole ensemble since the rope trick seems to be odd no matter what. 

So...she changes from "iconic" to the "ragged" one in Act 2? I'm still wondering what the real purpose of this is...

"So why dont they have any Ice palace set for the girls to run up during for the first time in forever? It was so annoying to see them just cross downstage back and forth.. I also wish Life's too Short could have been used."

While I agree about the set, LTS is a terrible song, but not only that, it doesn't apply to the characters as we know them anymore. I'm not saying the reprise is that great, but it's a TOUCH better than LTS if only because it makes more sense that yes Elsa SAYS she...well, you know, but let's be honest about the human aspects here. Just letting go of 13 years of repression doesn't just go away because you say so. It's makes way more sense that she'd regress into her old habits at seeing Anna again. She's too caged in the past for LTS to work even if the song itself were good. I've always thought she's a case for mental illness, and there's been many an article about this.

Updated On: 9/5/17 at 10:14 PM

mailhandler777
#1136FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/6/17 at 12:44am

JennH said: "But then again, considering a show is (gag) frozen by the start of previews, I guess it doesn't matter how long a preview period is."

Shows aren't frozen from the first preview. American Psycho changed a lot from the first few previews by the time it opened.

Sorry of someone commented on this. I was too lazy to look through responses 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

spyka
#1137FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:15am

Yes, there is a scene after the parent's death between adult Elsa, in that dark blue outfit, and the 'head troll'. I don't recall Elsa speaking in it. She just stands in the centre alone as he says some stuff.

That's then followed by Anna waking up at the start of For the First Time In Forever, Elsa then joins her on stage for her lines at the end of that, still in the dark blue costume.

There's then a scene not in the movie between Hans and Anna meeting where he sings, before the coronation where Elsa then appears in the coronation outfit from the movie (The black and green one with pink cape).

In Let It Go, that outfit transforms into a sparkly ice blue dress as in the movie. We only see this for about 10 seconds before end of Act 1.

In Act 2, I'm fairly certain it's the exact same dress, just with an added cape. We only see this For The First Time In Forever Reprise in the (non existent) ice castle.

When we next see Elsa (after Fixer Upper), she's in the 'ragged' ice dress. To clarify, by new I meant new compared to the movie, I think it's been in the this show from the start.

She then changes back into the Let It Go dress (not sure if it's with the cape or not) for the bows.

Thinking about it now, the 'iconic' dress as you say is probably only seen for about 3 minutes (last few seconds of Let It Go and For The First Time In Forever Reprise)

Hope that helps clears a bit up! Updated On: 9/6/17 at 01:15 AM

spyka
#1138FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:33am

Just to add on the topic of those outtakes form the OST, bits of We Know Better are included and there's a reference to More Than Just Spare between Hans and Anna

JennH
#1139FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/6/17 at 8:37am

In Let It Go, that outfit transforms into a sparkly ice blue dress as in the movie. We only see this for about 10 seconds before end of Act 1. 

In Act 2, I'm fairly certain it's the exact same dress, just with an added cape. We only see this For The First Time In Forever Reprise in the (non existent) ice castle.

More pics might need to be seen because this is not what previous ones have shown...unless they made the change from that white prom type dress for LiG to the "iconic blue" one to end it now? I know that white one obviously had to no cape but it was (is?) white with a sweetheart neckline and a slit in the middle. The blue wasn't seen until act 2. Of course that could have changed already, but I haven't seen to many pics again, I'm sure those on the top were none to thrilled by how much got out within two days so I can't imagine they didn't crack down on it. Who knows why they're not advertising some of this more. 

Updated On: 9/6/17 at 08:37 AM

spyka
#1140FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:11pm

JennH said: "In Let It Go, that outfit transforms into a sparkly ice blue dress as in the movie. We only see this for about 10 seconds before end of Act 1.

Morepics might need to be seen because this is not what previous ones have shown...unless they made the change from that white prom type dress for LiG to the "iconic blue" one to end it now? I know that white one obviously had to no cape but it was (is?) white with a sweetheart neckline and a slit in the middle. The blue wasn't seen until act 2. Of course that could have changed already, but I haven't seen to many pics again,I'm sure those on the top were none to thrilled by how much got out within two days so I can't imagine they didn't crack down on it. Who knows why they're not advertising some of this more.
"

It's definitely blue. I'm going to guess that any pictures posted will have spotlight washout, causing it to look white.

basketcase
#1141FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/6/17 at 11:20pm

JennH said: "In Let It Go, that outfit transforms into a sparkly ice blue dress as in the movie. We only see this for about 10 seconds before end of Act 1.

Morepics might need to be seen because this is not what previous ones have shown...unless they made the change from that white prom type dress for LiG to the "iconic blue" one to end it now? I know that white one obviously had to no cape but it was (is?) white with a sweetheart neckline and a slit in the middle. The blue wasn't seen until act 2. Of course that could have changed already, but I haven't seen to many pics again,I'm sure those on the top were none to thrilled by how much got out within two days so I can't imagine they didn't crack down on it. Who knows why they're not advertising some of this more.
"

Having seen it in person, the Let It Go dress is definitely blue. Maybe you should avoid passing judgement based on poor quality photos.

JennH
#1142FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/7/17 at 5:31pm

basketcase said: "JennH said: "In Let It Go, that outfit transforms into a sparkly ice blue dress as in the movie. We only see this for about 10 seconds before end of Act 1.

"

Having seen it in person, the Let It Go dress is definitely blue. Maybe you should avoid passingjudgement based on poor quality photos.
"

I'm not passing judgment (although I do think they're kinda crappy from the few clear pics that are out there), I was literally confused about which costume is which and what color they are. Plus with poor quality photos it's harder to tell what the real color of something is, but it's especially harder for me as I'm colorblind. That picture made it look white somewhat, but ok, those who've seen it can say it's blue, great. Now I know.

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 05:31 PM

broadwayboy223
#1143FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/10/17 at 11:59pm

Elsa's Let It Go dress looks like the movie somewhat but extremely vegasey 

JennH
#1144FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/12/17 at 7:08pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2jt0b4r65A

I feel like this is worth watching. No, I haven't seen it but even though I haven't I knew in my gut that this is what it would turn into and yes I'm sure changes will happen, but knowing that Disney doesn't seem to typically make vast changes useless they absolutely must, I can't see too much happening from now until next year. He's also of the belief they're holding back on something, so who knows. I also like watching his stuff way more than a certain Mr. Lynch who comes off as though he hates everything and everyone. I have high standards too, but tact is in in order.

broadwayboy223
#1145FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/12/17 at 9:50pm

Does anyone have any updated reports on major changes since previews started?

bobsbroadwayburgers
#1146FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/13/17 at 2:11pm

Hey! Selling two tickets through Ticketmaster resale. They are for the March 24th 2pm performance. Pm me for more info! 

mailhandler777
#1147FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/13/17 at 7:58pm

bobsbroadwayburgers said: "Hey! Selling two tickets through Ticketmaster resale. They are for the March 24th 2pm performance.Pm me for more info!"

You have them listed for $9998 a piece. Good luck with that. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#1148FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/14/17 at 10:22am

The photo spread that just went up at BroadwayWorld...I don't know what it is, but something just looks "off." The best one by far is the one of Murin and Riddle during (presumably) "Love is an Open Door."

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

JennH
#1149FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway
Posted: 9/14/17 at 10:23am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-Welcome-to-Arendelle-First-Look-at-Broadway-Bound-FROZEN-in-Denver-20170914

I mean, it looks fine, nothing awe inspiring, but that one of the company in white...when someone mentioned that the company is basically playing snow....like come on, that REEKS of children's theatre, and is just as ridiculous as the company playing stone gargoyles in Hunchback, but even for that I could understand the choice as it's trying to accentuate Quasi's mental state, I just think it could have been done better. But this looks just as silly as I thought it would be. This deserves way more than the "children's theatre, let's-put-on-a-show" almost juvenile kind staging. I've never been a fan of that kind of staging and design, never will be. Could they seriously not think of a way use effects rather than the cast themselves representing snow? It's another show suffering from an identity crisis. Some moments seems to work and SHOW the story, but others are seem flat and rely on TELLING. 

I thought opening was tomorrow since tomorrow's the gala...guess not?

Videos