pixeltracker

Miss Saigon cast takes a knee- Page 5

Miss Saigon cast takes a knee

JIMG3
#100Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:22pm

There are more effective ways to fight bigotry. 

JIMG3
#101Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:24pm

ErikJ972 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Blech."

Shocking reaction from a Trump voter.
"

The default response.  Find a new one..

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#102Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:26pm

artscallion said: "That's the only way systemic racism will change"

And how is it working out for you?

When is the gap big enough?

Ps. I'm not uncomfortable. It seems that some POC are uncomfortable when a situation is not about race.

JIMG3
#103Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:29pm

artscallion said: "I'm glad this is making Dave and some other white people so uncomfortable. White people need to be made to feel uncomfortable. That's the only way systemic racism will change. I applaud the kneelers!"

Seriously??? We need to feel uncomfortable? That’s your solution to systemic racism? That’s some sad s**t posing as a valid opinion. 

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 01:29 PM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#104Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:30pm

But this protest IS about race. The protest, started by Colin Kaepernick, is about how POC are treated by law enforcement.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 01:30 PM

JIMG3
#105Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:32pm

And the solution to that, is showing disrespect to your county, right? 

TrChSpHa
#106Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:35pm

If this country, built on stolen land and Black bodies, claims "freedom and justice for all," continues to sit aside and allow police to senselessly murder unarmed Black people then, sure.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#107Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:37pm

TrChSpHa said: "

Why is kneeling during the anthem to protest the inequalities Black people facein this country/police brutality an issue for you? How is it “creating” a racial divide that’s already been there?

they’re only doing it as an “eff you” to Herr Orange."

Because the anthem is also about people in history who sacrificed their lives for equal rights for poc. Standing up straight with your hand on your heart shows you have respect for that and for the bigger picture and equality. Learn to see the bigger picture and then we talk again. Because now you are a whining toddler who wants to put up his middle finger in the wrong place. So are the players. Are you actually aware that some situations are not about race and some rise above race?

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 01:37 PM

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#108Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:38pm

JIMG3 said: "And the solution to that, is showing disrespect to your county, right?"

What's disrespectful about it? It's not disruptive. It's not against any sort of published decorum. Unlike wearing the American flag or printing it on paper plates and napkins. But of course you don't have a problem with that. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

BroadwayRox3588
#109Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:38pm

*sigh* Nobody is protesting the flag, the country, or anything like that. If I get beaten up at Applebee's by an employee, I don't think my friends will stop eating at Applebee's. I do, however, think they will probably call for the employee who assaulted me to be penalized. It's the same thing here. The country, as a whole, is not the issue. This aspect of it is what is being protested.

And one of the things that this flag stands for, what being an American is all about, is freedom of expression. The veterans of war fought for our rights to free expression. And that includes being free to stand, kneel, sit, lay down, hop on one foot, do the Hokey Pokey, etc. during the national anthem. It is peaceful protest that hurts nobody. I love my country, and I am not offended in the least by NFL players, the cast of Miss Saigon, or any of these protesters.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#110Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:43pm

Fascism and bigotry would be asking Americans to place their hands over their hearts in front of a picture of Dear Leader Trump. That, however, is not what’s happening. It’s not what this nation stands for, and not what many of you would like to believe this administration stands for. I’m so beyond sad for this country that I actually have to convince people that the right thing to do is show reverence and respect for the flag/anthem that generations of Americans have literally died for. The fact that you possess the capacity and autonomy to kneel before the flag is what makes this country so unbelievably great, but that doesn’t mean you should. The flagrant disrespect is just sickening. If you’re so disappointed in this place that you can’t bring yourself to pay tribute to it, then LEAVE. Honestly, I say just go.

JIMG3
#111Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:43pm

broadwaysfguy said: "spare me..."

Spare us all....

JIMG3
#112Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:44pm

LYLS3637 said: "JIMG3 said: "And the solution to that, is showing disrespect to your county, right?"

What's disrespectful about it? It's not disruptive. It's not against any sort of published decorum. Unlike wearing the American flag or printing it on paper plates and napkins. But of course you don't have a problem with that.
"

If you have to ask, no explanation would be sufficient. 

JIMG3
#113Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:45pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Fascism and bigotry would be asking Americans to place their hands over their hearts in front of a picture of Dear Leader Trump. That, however, is not what’s happening. It’s not what this nation stands for, and not what many of you would like to believe this administration stands for. I’m so beyond sad for this country that I actually have to convince people that the right thing to do is show reverence and respect for the flag/anthem that generations of Americans have literally died for. The fact that you possess the capacity and autonomy to kneel before the flag is what makes this country so unbelievably great, but that doesn’t mean you should. The flagrant disrespect is just sickening. If you’re so disappointed in this place that you can’t bring yourself to pay tribute to it, then LEAVE. Honestly, I say just go."

BRAVO!!!

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#114Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:46pm

ebizzle said: "Oh that's right but I'm making this about race because obviously racial inequality is a myth etc"

Oh, it's no myth. It's here to stay for as long as you live by it.

For the record, I will treat any POC as a total equal with a unity that's solid as a rock. If the person decides to step out of that by making black or white remarks, it's that's person's choice.

Because "black power" above a twitter picture, false race cards, get your white ass over here, that's such a white sorority girl drink, etc, do not seem like black and white are equal to the person saying it.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 01:46 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#115Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:46pm

BroadwayConcierge said: " I’m so beyond sad for this country that I actually have to convince people that the right thing to do is show reverence and respect for the flag/anthem that generations of Americans have literally died for. The fact that you possess the capacity and autonomy to kneel before the flag is what makes this country so unbelievably great, but that doesn’t mean you should. "

Yes, all of America better think that the next time they dry off with their American flag towel, or eat an American flag cake. Also, you better take your flag down before night, because it's not supposed to be up in the dark...it's a flag, get over it. 

TrChSpHa
#116Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:48pm

Dave28282 said: "TrChSpHa said: "

Why is kneeling during the anthem to protest the inequalities Black people facein this country/police brutality an issue for you? How is it “creating” a racial divide that’s already been there?

they’re only doing it as an “eff you” to Herr Orange."

Because the anthem is also about people in historywho sacrificed their lives for equal rights for poc. Standing up straight with your hand on your hearts shows you have respect for that and for the bigger picture and equality. Learn to see the bigger picture and then we talk again. Because now you are a whining toddler who wants to put up his middle finger in the wrong place. Soare the players. Are you actually aware that some situations are not about race and some rise above race?"

And how many times are people going to tell you that this entire protest is about race, it's about people of color. It's specifically about Black people being gunned down by police and there being no justice for them. And if you want to bring up this country's history, you're going to talk about the dark parts of it and how those periods effect certain communities today.

The NFL, who refused to give Kaepernick a job, made it about themselves this past week when 45 called them out on the protests.

We march, white people get angry. We sit, white people get angry. We riot, white people get angry. We kneel, white people get angry. We create our own art, form our own businesses, move into our own neighborhoods, white people get angry and then try to steal it. No matter how peaceful our protests, there's simply no pleasing you people.

Just like your racist president, you're the one who refuses to see the big picture.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#117Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:57pm

TrChSpHa said: "And how many times are people going to tell you that this entire protest is about race, it's about people of color. ."

And the Anthem is not. The Anthem is about much more than that. Your (and the player's) behaviour is a slap in Martin Luther King's face. And all the people in US history that have died for your rights.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 01:57 PM

TrChSpHa
#118Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 2:03pm

Dave28282 said: "TrChSpHa said: "And how many times are people going to tell you that this entire protest is about race, it's about people of color. ."

And the Anthem is not. The Anthem is about much more than that.Your behaviour is a slap in Martin Luther King's face.
"

Again, because you apparently lack reeading comprehension: the protest isn't about the anthem. And please don't bring up MLK to me. Maybe we would know what he'd think of my "behavior" if a racist white man didn't kill him.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#119Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 2:07pm

TrChSpHa said: "We march, white people get angry. We sit, white people get angry. We riot, white people get angry. We kneel, white people get angry. We create our own art, form our own businesses, move into our own neighborhoods, white people get angry and then try to steal it. No matter how peaceful our protests, there's simply no pleasing you people."

Nobody gets angry when you behave like a human. There is no we versus them. There is also no stealing your art or neighbourhoods. What is it you want? Separate things for black people?

STOP thinking in race like that. STOP separating black and white in art, business and neighbourhood like you do in the above post.

wonkit
#120Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 2:09pm

Thank you, Dave 28282, for your excellent posts as you are expressing my thoughts better than I could.  

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#121Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 2:10pm

TrChSpHa said: "the protest isn't about the anthem."

Exactly. 

So to disrespect the moment of the Anthem like that for their protest is beyond vulgar.

BroadwayRox3588
#122Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 2:10pm

Nobody is protesting the anthem. They may be protesting during the anthem, but that doesn't mean they're actually protesting the anthem. To bring it back to the original topic, the Miss Saigon cast took a knee and protested during final bows. Does that mean they were protesting final bows?

BroadwayRox3588
#123Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 2:13pm

Dave28282 said: "TrChSpHa said: "the protest isn't about the anthem."

Exactly.

So to disrespect the moment of the Anthem like that for their protest is beyond vulgar.

"

Okay so when/where should they protest then? At home, when nobody is watching? Part of the point of a protest is to raise public awareness for your cause. What better place to start then when you're already in the public eye? Especially since, as many posters have pointed out, they are not disrespecting the country.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 02:13 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#124Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/28/17 at 2:15pm

Standing up straight during the Anthem shows you respect the people who have died for your rights.

Videos