Rent!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#100Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 7:41pm

haha yeah if I knew how to do something like that I would in a heartbeat. Do you ever think they'll make official RENT dolls? Not barbies persay, but like collectable dolls. That would actually be pretty cool.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#101Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 7:42pm

Hey, honey, I'll make you a Mark scarf. You know I can knit that.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

rice and beans AND cheese
#102Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 7:44pm

Thanks Lael! I sure want one!

"It's a long story, althought it's kinda-of a short one." ~~ Wolfwood

LaeloftheLakes
#103Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 7:48pm

Sure, I'll make you one! I'm a little busy right now, but you can't use it in the warm weather there, anyway.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#104Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 7:49pm

We should all start making RENT merchandise. :-P I could make a bag or a skirt. (only things I've learned in fashion class so far.) :-P

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#105Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 8:05pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Avenue Q is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT Rent with puppets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*pulls out hair*

I LOATHE that analogy.

LOL. Sorry. I also own the soundtrack of Avenue Q, but haven't had the opportunity to see it. HOWEVER, they seem like VASTLY different shows to me. Avenue Q is NOT Rent with puppets. People only make that analogy because both have homosexuals, swearing, and sexual/drug content. That is the extent of their similarities.

I find that the analogy that its a combination of South Park and Sesame Street much more accurate (I find it surprising that one would not like one but like the other; its the same type of humor. South Park doesn't seem intelligent, but I think it is. "So, you [the infantry full of black people] will be part of operation human shield. Many of you may die. Now, you guys [the infantry full of white people] will let them protect you and do this and this and this. For God's sake, don't get yourselves killed! Any questions? Yes?" "Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclaimation?" "I don't listen to hip hop!"), because they tend to have the same kind of themes (i.e. disregard for political correctness) and the same kind of potty mouths (in Rent, they swear for a reason... in both South Park and Avenue Q, they just swear) and the same kind of humor (i.e. humor that my mother doesn't understand... my mother LOVES Rent, but I don't think she would sit through twenty minutes of Avenue Q).

Plus, Rent has MUCH more meaning. I mean, it will make you CRY (the tour Collins is sob worthy!). Avenue Q will not do that.

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

LaeloftheLakes
#106Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 8:14pm

Believe me, I'm not comparing! RENT owns my heart, I think of Ave. Q as a pleasing diversion. I totally see the point of the Sesame Street/South Park analogy, but...what can I say? I don't like South Park. So sue me.

Anyway, I was just mentioning what my friend said...

---
---

Charlie
#107Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 8:24pm

Oh god. Avenue Q is definately not RENT with puppets. As much as I loved Avenue Q, I have to say that RENT is always going to outrank it. I think I speak for everyone when I say that RENT is a classic show that can't be tweaked in any way to make another great show.

Charlie Brown never loses hope. His friends may call him "blockhead," but he faces each day with optimism. He is friendly and polite, although he loses at baseball games, the football is always pulled away, and his love for the little red-haired girl is never returned.

loudasthehelliwant
#108Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 8:26pm

*sues you and gets tons of money*

Just kidding.

And yes, you can hate South Park all you want, I really don't care. I never thought I'd like it myself, until my friends force-fed me the movie, lol. :P Once again, though, its really interesting that someone can not like South Park and like Avenue Q, because its the same type of humor. But each to their own!!!!

Anyway, each to their own, but you're friend needs some correction. Rent! LOL. Yes, I know what you mean- I feel the same way about Rent and Ave. Q as you do. Rent!

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

LaeloftheLakes
#109Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 9:26pm

*dies laughing at the thought that you'd get even a penny*

HA! This is why you don't sue poor college students!

As for my friend, I've already chastised her. Believe me, Rent has its place in my heart, first and foremost. It's my play. I love it more than anything.

---
---

loudasthehelliwant
#110Rent!
Posted: 2/5/05 at 11:58pm

Good!

Yeah, it seems no one on this site has money. I do, but that's because I'm a silly little high school student whose parents provide food, housing, CLOTHES (thats the big thing), and who really only pays for her theatre obsession. LOL.

BTW, I LOVE your signature. I sadly know basically NOTHING about The Fantasticks, except that I would probably love it, lol. Our theatre class did monologues last semester, and there were a couple from The Fantasticks (including one that included your sig. in it), and they were easily the best/most memorable. Though, I have to say, I think my monologue from the Miracle Worker about how I played in dead houses with rats stuck with some people...

Yes, I enjoy all theatre, but I have this thing... There is like this... I actually like to think of it as a pedastel on like Mount Olympus with the gods, and on that pedastel are all the plays/musicals that I can't compare to the other ones. They're like above my list of favorites. Its them, and then its all the others. Comparing them is like comparing immortals and mortals. Anyway, there are only two on the immortal pedastel as of now- Rent and Les Miz. There are many others that I love and enjoy, but Rent and Les Miz are the only pedastel worthy ones at this point. LOL. My mind is so weird...

Updated On: 2/5/05 at 11:58 PM

LaeloftheLakes
#111Rent!
Posted: 2/6/05 at 12:30pm

Girl, you sound a LOT like me. Les Mis was my absolute first favorite play, and for a long time was the only "uncomparable." Now, of course, it's all about the Rent, but Les Mis is and will always be my first love.

*sigh* I miss having money. I really do. Although it's interesting, because I went to the mall and spent more than a hundred dollars yesterday. I nearly cried. It was all on print cartridges, and schoolbooks, and food*. Our school's food sucks, so I have to have my own. Plus, there's nowhere to go if you get hungry at midnight!

You MUST see "The Fantasticks!" It's wonderful, truly. And my family has all these connections to it---my mom always wanted to be Louisa, and my parents sang "They Were You" for their wedding song, etcetera. It's such a good play. Whatever you do, DON'T see the movie! Some people like it, but these people are WRONG!

Ah, well.

*and Jon Stewart's book. Oops.

---
---

LaeloftheLakes
#112Rent!
Posted: 2/6/05 at 12:40pm

Just to clarify: my favorite monologue.

Louisa: This morning a bird woke me up. It was a lark, or a peacock; something like that. So I said hello. And it vanished, flew away, the very moment I said hello! It was quite mysterious. So do you know what I did? I went to my mirror and brushed my hair two hundred times, without stopping. And as I was brushing it, my hair turned mauve. No, honestly! Mauve! Then red. then some sort of a deep blue when the sun hit it.... I'm sixteen years old, and ever day something happens to me. I don't know what to make of it. When I get up in the morning and get dressed, I can tell...something's different. I like to touch my eyelids, because they're never quite the same. oh, oh, oh! I hug myself till my arms turn blue, then I close my eyes and cry and cry till the tears come down and I can taste them. I love to taste my tears. I am special. I am special! Please god, please, don't let me be normal!

---
---

#113Rent!
Posted: 2/6/05 at 1:15pm

I really think we should make rent merchandise, and I know nothing about AQ, so, no comment.

#114Rent!
Posted: 2/6/05 at 1:16pm

My scarf can wait. Rent! (that's ok)

LaeloftheLakes
#115Rent!
Posted: 2/6/05 at 1:23pm

That's from "The Fantasticks," honey, not Avenue Q.

And I'm working on the scarf, really!

---
---

loudasthehelliwant
#116Rent!
Posted: 2/6/05 at 2:11pm

Ooooh, Les Miz was my first love as well! And, currently, it is all about Rent (though, I'm seeing LM again in March... and in April). I can't wait! Its been... over a year. LOL.

Yes, that was one of the monologues I was referring too! My friend Ruth did it, and it was awesome. Rent! I'm sure I would love The Fantasticks... I just need to actually see it, darnit! OK. I will NOT see the movie. (Its funny, I know a theatre girl from another website, who has never seen or heard Les Miz, except for Castle on a Cloud. In English class, they watched the '98 Les Miz movie. *cringe* And she liked it! And she's like, "Yeah, I saw the Les MIz movie, and I liked it" and I'm like "Nooooooooooooooo! Its BAD!" LOL.)

Ooooooh, rent merchandise! Are you making her (AND cheese) a Mark scarf (you two are cousins, correct?)? That's so cool. Rent!

LaeloftheLakes
#117Rent!
Posted: 2/6/05 at 2:43pm

I ADORE that monologue! It's been a while since I saw LM---saw it on tour in SF when I was fourteen, and in Sacramento when I was sixteen. Of course, I own the concert, and have *coughFIVEcough* cast recordings.

The Les Mis movie? Liam Neeson couldn't even save it. It was awful. But the WORST adaptation HAS to be the Frederick March. You have to see it...it's so bad, it's hilarious.

Yes, RABAC is my cousin, and I'm making her a scarf.

---
---

#118Rent!
Posted: 2/7/05 at 12:10am

I was talking about the stuff before (NOT rent with puppets), not the monologue.

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#119Rent!
Posted: 2/7/05 at 12:45am

I ADORE that monologue! It's been a while since I saw LM---saw it on tour in SF when I was fourteen, and in Sacramento when I was sixteen. Of course, I own the concert, and have *coughFIVEcough* cast recordings.

Hand over that BNF card, dear, I own 26. Rent!

The Les Mis movie? Liam Neeson couldn't even save it. It was awful. But the WORST adaptation HAS to be the Frederick March. You have to see it...it's so bad, it's hilarious.

Awww, but Flapper Eponine! Rent!

I do recommend the Jean-Paul Belmondo one made about 10 years ago. It's long, and it's more inspired by the novel than an adaptation, but it's worth it.

Also, if you can find the billingual version with Depardieu and Malkovitch, do. Although the Valjean/Cosette scenes are a little incestuous. Hmm.

#120Rent!
Posted: 2/7/05 at 12:21pm

I didn't know you could have that many cast recordings for one play!

Musetta1957
#121Rent!
Posted: 2/7/05 at 2:37pm

Usually you can't. Most shows are lucky to have one or two, let alone almost 30 like Les Miz has.

LaeloftheLakes
#122Rent!
Posted: 2/7/05 at 2:49pm

I've been looking...if you had ANY idea what kind of place I grew up in, you'd be amazed I even have five!

---
---

Musetta1957
#123Rent!
Posted: 2/7/05 at 2:57pm

*views profile*

Actually, I probably don't live all that far from you.

I got several of my cast recordings from All Music Services and Star Classic, both in SF. The latter is no longer around, though. *sniff*

LaeloftheLakes
#124Rent!
Posted: 2/7/05 at 3:01pm

Have you ever been to Amoeba?

---
---

Videos