pixeltracker

The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, February 19, 2006- Page 5

The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, February 19, 2006

dancinfan
#100re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 11:46am

I was just speaking with someone on the crew at the Minskoff who said that they actually got kicked out for not making their nut two weeks in a row. Drowsy Chaperone is next up.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#101re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 11:50am

Minskoff?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

EganFan2
#102re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 2:23pm

>>This really makes me angry! The show is one of the most intelligent and entertaining things I have seen in a long time.

What really bothers me is that this wonerful show closed because it doesn't have women screaming while painted green and "flying." The show is too intelligent for New York audiences, which is sickening being one myself.

From now on I wish producers will understand that if it doesn't ahve people flying, people dressed as animals, and horrible pop songs, a show will fail.

Wow I need to go vent! <<<

Vent away. I hear you. To be fair, it IS closing in London, too. I've never seen a show on Broadway. I am somewhat of an ALW fan. I grew up loving Phantom (dodges random flying objects) and I loved this show's music and story, too. I wanted it to be my first Broadway show, especially since it's right up my alley. And I feel bad for all those actors who are going to be so suddenly unemployed. It's a real shame.

#103re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 2:34pm

I am sorry it is closing.

I look forward to going once more before it closes.

I'm listening to the OLC as I type this.

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#104re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 3:04pm

It is a shame that it is closing so soon. It seems big shows are a little too relient on big names though. I first saw it in London soon after it opened and both Michael Crawford and Maria Friedman were both out and it was still great. Often the understudies are the ones who take over the role full time and are just as good performers as the big names.

EganFan2
#105re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 4:45pm

As others have said, Maria and Michael are not really big names to people here in the US. If Michael Crawford had come over with it, he might have been something of a draw...but then "Dance of the Vampires" was a flop and he was in that. It's evidently not a show that people have much interest in, for whatever reason. Period clothing scares some people. So does Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#106re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 5:33pm

Michael Ball is a big name, dontcha think?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#107re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 5:59pm

i believe Michael Ball is a *much* bigger name in London than in the U.S.

just bought my ticket to the final performance...it will be a sad afternoon.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#108re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 6:03pm

no, I don't think so. Michael Crawford isn't even a big name. if you mention his name, people who aren't theatre freaks go "who"?, but if you mention he was the original Phantom of the Opera, then they get it. I am sorry it is closing as well. I saw it on a whim and really enjoyed it for the story. the music grows on me the more I listen to it. People didn't give it a chance. I thougt it was a very unique production, and I am glad that twenty years from now I can say that I saw it on Broadway.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

RentBoy86
#109re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 6:37pm

It just was something that didn't interest people. Who know why, but people just weren't drawn to the show. I think its pointless to blame other shows EganFan for WiW's failure. You can't have Wicked w/o the green paint. And WiW has a pop score just like Wicked. I believe Maria doesn't yell her lungs out in All For Laura. I think WIW is a great show. I was looking forward to seeing it, but at least there's going to be a US tour and the producers aren't giving up on the show. They're going to take what they learned and reimagine the show. Hopefully they won't destroy it.

ThankstoPhantom
#110re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 6:44pm

Without a Trace, you're very lucky. This show means so much to me and I wish I could be there that day! But at least I went.

I hope the tour isn't very different from the Broadway production. It'll probably open fairly soon, like Little Women did.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Phantomerik15 Profile Photo
Phantomerik15
#111re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/4/06 at 8:02pm

I just found out on the Daily News...Wow, it was quick. i just saw it on feb 1st. I can't believe only 31 out of the 108 performances so far included everyone from the cast with no understudies...that's a lot! It's sad.

Back, he spurred like a madman, shrieking a curse to the sky. With the white road smoking behind him and his rapier brandished high! Blood-red were the spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat, when they shot him down on the highway, down like a dog on the highway, and he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat... (The Highwayman. Sung by: Loreena McKennitt)

#112re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/5/06 at 12:07am

ALW hasn't been a big name on Broadway in years, as far as new stuff goes.

I think I'd disagree with the fact that there wasn't enough publicity, I think I just blame what the publicity was about. I saw the show in London and I still can't really explain to people what it's about without going into incredible detail. I feel like it's hard to explain the synopsis of the show in a sentence or two. The marketing campaign was "hey, the Phantom composer has another musical; see it!" as opposed to "Come see the tale of... " etc.

Had tickets for early January. Exchanged them for late January when Michael Ball was out. Exchanged them again for February 11th when Michael Ball was out. This time I'm obviously going to stick with them. I hope Ron Bohmer is at least in when I'm there.

kover22 Profile Photo
kover22
#113re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/5/06 at 1:10am

I am very sad to hear this. My hubby and I were planning a trip out to see it...I was just waiting for Michael to come back from being sick. Thank God I got to see him in "PATIENCE" otherwise I would be seriously bawling my eyes out here.

I have RSD...but it doesn't have me!!!!

popcultureboy
#114re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/5/06 at 11:42am

Michael Ball has left NY and returned to London. So his run in WIW is done.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

ThankstoPhantom
#115re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/5/06 at 11:45am

Is Norman Large or Daniel Marcus playing Fosco now? Or do they alternate?

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

b'dway lady
#116re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/6/06 at 5:47pm

Michael Ball is still in New York, he is on complete vocal rest.
he is extremely upset over what has happened. Unfortunately
this problem is out of his control. it is sad that so many people will be affected by this closing.

popcultureboy
#117re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/6/06 at 5:49pm

I'm not going to argue but he's in London.

sisterberthe Profile Photo
sisterberthe
#118re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/6/06 at 5:57pm

Ok, I have a question. So I'm going to New York with my family and we're arriving on the 19th (lucky me!). Anywho my dad is the kind of person who likes to buy our tickets about 20 minutes before going to the show (he did make an exception for Wicked), but I'm kind of worried that by the time we get to NY on the 19th, the tickets to Woman in White will be sold out. Do you think so? Should we order the tickets or will there still be tickets for sale?

sisterberthe
#119re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/6/06 at 5:58pm

Ok, I have a question. So I'm going to New York with my family and we're arriving on the 19th (lucky me!). Anywho my dad is the kind of person who likes to buy our tickets about 20 minutes before going to the show (he did make an exception for Wicked), but I'm kind of worried that by the time we get to NY on the 19th, the tickets to Woman in White will be sold out. Do you think so? Should we order the tickets or will there still be tickets for sale?

sisterberthe
#120re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/6/06 at 5:58pm

sisterberthe
#121re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/6/06 at 6:07pm

And sorry this is on here three times...my computer sucks...

popcultureboy
#122re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/6/06 at 6:11pm

If you really want to see it, order tickets. Don't chance on it selling out.

Michelleruth2 Profile Photo
Michelleruth2
#123re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/7/06 at 3:12pm

Quite sad, but not unexpected given the illness of the two main stars and the lack of publicity for the show.

musicalfan
#124re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/7/06 at 7:51pm

At least the press release mentioned a new "reconfigured" London release and US tour. Any thought on what is meant by "reconfigured"? I know the show has gone through much editing since the beginning (the Broadway production has quite a few changes from the Original cast album recording). Do you think the projections will be replaced by a traditional set? I wonder if the projections would even work on tour? Any thoughts?

Videos