pixeltracker

Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.- Page 5

Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#100re: Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.
Posted: 7/8/07 at 2:32am

going through the motions without investing

I hear the show 6 times a week and never feel she phones it in from an aural perspective. There are most definitely performances, when she is sick, where she has had to hold back in places--modify. It never sounds like it affects the performance.

However, is it possible she's given weaker performances? Of course. But consensus has spoken as has been said (awards, reviews, audience praise). There are plenty of shows and performances I don't agree with the majority on--and possibly from having caught a weaker performance myself. But God knows I don't dwell on it. I don't post in every thread on the subject how disappointed and unimpressed I was.

People DWELL on the negative here.

And, I will say this--EVERY performance nets an enthusiastic crowd at the stage door full of people who thought it was phenominal. You didn't? Fine. Your right to feel that way.

Miss.Vanessi
#101re: Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.
Posted: 7/8/07 at 2:46am

People DWELL on the negative here.
Ding! We have our winner!
What's with this "bellevue" nonsense? Someone been listening to her as Clara on the Bright Lights, Big City recording and forgetting it's not real life?
Also- turtle, tons of people will tell you that you will not be disappointed. (And see you there, haha)

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#102re: Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.
Posted: 7/8/07 at 2:50am

we definitely need to have a bww gathering when the final curtain goes down!

RIP glebby <3

Miss.Vanessi
#103re: Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.
Posted: 7/8/07 at 2:55am

I'm off to Billy Stritch's concert at Birdland after the show. re: Christine Ebersole dissapointed me. Well, after I stop crying like a toddler with a skinned knee because the show is over.

Miss.Vanessi
#104re: Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.
Posted: 7/8/07 at 2:57am

double post, whoops.

Updated On: 7/8/07 at 02:57 AM

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#105re: Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.
Posted: 7/8/07 at 8:36am

I'll be at the closing and Birdland as well, MissVanessi. Notabb and I are are going together.

Can you imagine the overwhelming reception Christine will recieve there?!?!

And speaking of Christine & Billy Stritch, has anyone heard anything about when their CD of LIVE AT THE METROPLOLITAN ROOM is being released? It's only available via Christine's website, but there is no 'street' date except that it will be available 'in July'.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#106re: Christine Ebersole dissapointed me.
Posted: 7/8/07 at 2:03pm

I read on this thread from a few posters that Ebersole is similar to Ethel Merman in occasionally "phoning in" a performance after being with a production for awhile. Just how did the rumor of Merman phoning in performances get started? I have many theatre books about Merman and nowhere does it mention that rumor. Certainly the five times I saw her in GYPSY she was not phoning in a performance--she was phenomenal, and the same was true in the 1966 revival of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN. And she was also great as the final Dolly Levi in HELLO DOLLY. Just wondering about that rumor.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 7/8/07 at 02:03 PM

Videos