pixeltracker

Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?- Page 5

Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#100re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:29am

Not at all. It is a GREAT, fun show!!!!!

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

broadwayboy101
#101re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:31am

What was so offensive about the terminal illness song, since everyone seems to agree it crossed the line?

Somehow I don't see this lasting too long, unless they do some advertising on children's TV stations or something.

pli1018
#102re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:39am

I didn't think it was offensive at all. If you put that song in a different show scenario, like in Avenue Q, I doubt it'd be deemed "offensive".

wicked_beast4
#103re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:41am

It was just a little off-putting to hear another kid joke about a boy who is dying, and knows it.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#104re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:47am

I didn't love it, but it was a hell of a lot better then Glory Days. I also thought it was better then Tale of Two Cities, since people had SOME positive things to say about that.
It's definitely worth seeing. I completely agree that the DDR thing was absolutely ridiculous and out of place. I thought the cripple song was a little insulting but not majorly. A lot of the jokes were very funny and geared more towards adults then young teenagers. I want to go see it again after it opens to see what they've changed. Did they record the CD already? Because it can be pre-ordered on Sh-k-boom, but wouldn't they want to change some things?

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#105re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:47am

Oops.
Updated On: 9/14/08 at 12:47 AM

wicked_beast4
#106re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:51am

Maybe being front row helped, but I really thought it was a great show, and with some small fixes, could last at least over a year. And it was SOO much more entertaining than A Man For All Seasons yesterday.

wicked_beast4
#107re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:54am

Oh, and to those who weren't there, they changed the set dramatically. No more "classroom" sort of feeling.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#108re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:54am

Well, Man of All Seasons doesn't aim to be entertaining in the way that 13 does. I don't think that's a fair comparison.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

wicked_beast4
#109re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 12:59am

I know, but I was literally falling asleep in AMFAS. I know it is like apples and oranges, but still. That is why we shouldn't expect some work of art from 13. It is pure fun.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#110re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 1:06am

I was there tonight and certainly not what I expected. Here's what I posted in another thread:

"I also found it to be insulting! And slightly confusing/didn't care too much about the story.

I don't really see how long it will run either. As much as I like JRB, this isn't his best. The crowd tonight also wasn't the most enjoyable!

But seriously, it's to me like a Carrie-type flop. It's pretty bad, there's lot of random dancing that I think was stolen off of 'Legally Blonde: The Musical,' but there are a few gems of songs in there. (it clearly isn't going to be a mega-flop) The cast overall is pretty good, especially the girl playing the leading female role. I didn't care for most of the roles though!"

RentBoy86
#111re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 1:30am

What was the set like? Show curtain? I might have to check out the train wreck in a few weeks...

pli1018
#112re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 1:36am

No show curtain. The set was very generic. The opening scene when you walk into the theater was a forced perspective of NYC, with a bench, lamp post and garbage can. The Indiana set was just a bunch of houses in a rural setting. The school set doesn't change, just some lockers/vending machine come in every so often. Act II closes at a movie theater arcade. Besides that there isn't much more to the set.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#113re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 1:37am

No show curtain, only a scrim for ending Act 1 & Act 2/curtain calls.

The set used lots of silhouttes/projections on scrims, and was for the most part boring and the hallway scenes (lockers & soda machine) looked like they were made at that school by 13 year olds.

The backdrop/silhoutte/cut-out thing of the town in Indiana itself looked nice regardless, but everything else was either boring or random. Except the movie theatre. That was well done.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/14/08 at 2:35am

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 02:35 AM

jagfkb
#115re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 8:10am

I was sitting around Row H or so on the left side, and, from my view, it's a really great show. I mean, there are some things I feel should be fixed (DDR, some minor jokes) but otherwise, it's exactly what teenagers talk and sound like. It was admitedly, a little vulger, but atleast it's true. The cast, in my opinion was really quite good, and many of them should go on towards promising careers. The set was simple, and I was perfectly fine withit. The songs were really liked by many of the teens in the audience, and if every night was like this (The theatre, by the way, was nowhere near full) it could improve and be a great little show. In the end, 8 1/2 out of 10 stars.

Yankeefan007
#116re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 8:28am

Is Henry Hodges in it?

shesamarshmallow
#117re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 9:30am

Henry Hodges is an understudy, as far as I know.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#118re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 9:49am

I can't believe people are agreeing that A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS is worse than THIRTEEN.

There is absolutely no comparison. A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS at least featured some genuinely memorable moments and a strong lead performance from Langella. THIRTEEN has an Act One finale with an awkward dance break where everyone dances to a DDR game...

And to say that the song about the boy with the terminal illness wouldn't be an issue if it was in AVENUE Q is kinda ridiculous. AVENUE Q is a totally different show than THIRTEEN. It appeals to a much older and mature crowd and its borderline offensive in a way that comically works...PLUS they would never let the song even be in the show because it's truly terribly written.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#119re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 10:30am

So I will actually give a big review now because I am bored. **Maybe some spoilers**

Aaron Simon Gross- Archie- I thought he was very good. He was very believable that he was on crutches and sick. And he had a very good voice.

Eric M. Nelsen- Brett- I liked him... He was pretty funny but he kind of over acted at times. It's probably hard to not over act when you are playing that character. It's sort of like Roger (Rent) most Rogers over act because they have to attack Mimi when Brett has to attack many people.

Ariana Grande- Charlotte- HOLY CRAP! This girl has one hell of a voice. She doesn't really have a song but in the end at the curtain call they have one song where they all dance and stuff and she sings and she is amazing.

Al Calderon and Malik Hammond- Eddie and Malcolm- They were both really good. Malik was really good, he had an amazing voice.

Graham Phillips- Evan- Okay so for the amount of stuff he has to do he was pretty good. He was just so awkward, he looked so uncomfortable. His voice was pretty good but he couldn't dance. When the entire cast was dancing he looked completely lost.

Delaney Moro- Kendra- She was really good, not much to say.

Elizabeth Egan Gillies- Lucy- WOW, she was incredible. She was such a bitch and I loved it! She could dance, sing, and act! And she was amazing at all of them. Probably in the top two performances.

Caitlin Gann- Molly- Really good, great voice and she could sing!

Allie Trimm- Patrice- HIGHLIGHT of the night! She has the most amazing voice ever! I felt so bad for her (her character) and she was such a great actor. But I still can't get over how great her voice is. I can't wait to see her again.

Eamon Foley- Richie- Amazing voice!

I loved the show and I really want the cast album. I can't wait to go back again.

Also, the audience was very well behaved. I go there at 7:30 and got front row mezzanine. I also got a few comments on my ITH shirt and bag.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#120re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 10:34am

How flat was Eric Nelson during the song in the movie theater before he kisses Kendra?

It was almost painful.

Yankeefan007
#121re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 10:38am

Tom Kitt (of High Fidelity, Next to Normal fame) is the musical director/conductor.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#122re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 10:40am

I couldn't help but feel terrible for him throughout the show.

The band did sound good though.

jagfkb
#123re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 10:43am

So, Wicked Rocks, with all of your rather ranting on over how bad 13 was, I only have one question...

Who do you play in Billy Elliot?

shesamarshmallow
#124re: Teenagers invited to the opening dress of 13?
Posted: 9/14/08 at 10:44am

Well, Eric Nelson can't sing. That's just kind of a fact.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Videos