Tony Snub Gripe Thread

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#125re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:32am

Finally saw Threepenny last night. My beloved Cyndi certainly deserved a slot, although I admittedly have not seen The Color Purple (for shame!) nor Lestat (err...and I probably won't) yet.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#126re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:34am

Carolee Carmello's nomination is an absolute jock. Terrible.

Cyndi Lauper definitely deserved it...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#127re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:39am

I was lame and stagedoored (mostly for her).

I wasn't going to say anything, but she said: "You know Jim Dale's going to win a Tony, don't you?" I said something about how she should've been up there, too, and she kinda shook her head and said: "It doesn't matter."

And I loved the shoes she was wearing. re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

JJPeachum2 Profile Photo
JJPeachum2
#128re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 3:51pm

WhataCharacter,

>Out with Sutton Foster(it's a supporting role!): In with >Nellie McKay
>Out with Beth Leavel: In with Cyndi Lauper
>Out with Carolee Carmello: In with Amy Spanger
>Out with Harry Connick: In with Josh Strickland
>Out with Chita: In with Maria Friedman
>Jonathan Price as Best Replacement!
>
>Then, I would be satisfied!

I agree, out with out with Sutton and in with Cyndi, and out with Chita and in with my beloved Maria Friedman.

How is it that Chita (legend that she is) get nominated as Best Actress in a Musical for her one woman show, but Elaine Stritch gets only a Best Theatrical Event nod for AT LIBERTY? If anything, THE DANCER'S LIFE should be in the "Best Theatrical Event" category.

quintia
#129re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 4:01pm

I'm sad that Lauren Molina and Donna Lynne Champlin didn't get nominated. They were both so wonderful in Sweeney Todd.

"I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, but above all things, I believe in love."- Moulin Rouge
Updated On: 5/17/06 at 04:01 PM

rflpfl2
#130re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 4:08pm

Lauren Molina definately deserved a nomination- I can understand Donna Lynn Champlin as her role doesn't stand out like Molina's, but she was great anyway.

I think Sweeney should have had both set and lighting design nominations as they looked great- and enhanced the production.

TARZAN not getting more nominations is ridiculous, yeah there are flaws in pacing and stuff- but the music was great- and the design was awesome- anyone who designed and staged that opening deserves a Tony.

BOO for Wedding Singer- that show doesn't even deserve to be on Broadway.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#131re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 4:41pm

How is it that Chita (legend that she is) get nominated as Best Actress in a Musical for her one woman show, but Elaine Stritch gets only a Best Theatrical Event nod for AT LIBERTY?

Chita's show wasn't a one woman show.

I'll second the disgust in the lack of a nomination for Wee Thomas in THE LIEUTENANT OF INISHMORE. re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 5/17/06 at 04:41 PM

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#132re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 7:59pm

New category not there!!!!

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

bella cantato
#133re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 8:05pm

Maria Friedman...

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

JJPeachum2 Profile Photo
JJPeachum2
#134re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/17/06 at 10:53pm

EXACTLY! Maria Friedman...

Dollypop
#135re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/18/06 at 6:01am

I had promised myself that I'd attend the Tony Awards this year if BOTH Patrick Wilson and Patti LuPone were nominated.

I guess I'll be watching the proceedings on TV.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

holly
#136re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/18/06 at 11:48am

I agree about Wee Thomas. On the night we attended the show, Wee Thomas did something that even made the human actors do a touble take. It was great!

holly
#137re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/18/06 at 11:52am

Maybe we anticipated more from "MOVIE STARS" but my husband and I thought Nathan Lane's performance was mediocre and forced. Broderick was okay. I actually enjoyed the other poker players more than the two headliners.

Maybe this is the same with the reaction and expectations to Julia Roberts. I think there really is something to performing live versus doing take after take after take.

Ashleydanielle
#138re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/18/06 at 3:51pm

I agree that Patrick Wilson should have gotten a nomination. He was fantastic. His performance was hilarious. Jill Clayburgh was excellent too in Barefoot. I didn't get to see the other show she was in, but I really enjoyed her performance in Barefoot. I also agree that Jonathan Pryce for best replacement. He was fantastic and really held his own with the most excellent Norbert Leo Butz. I never saw DRS with John Lithgow, but I have the cast recording and I believe Jonathan's delivery and singing is better.

Videos